My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it actually do and can you run without it? My John Deere engine quit suddenly while I was mowing. I did all the usual checks, and found I had no spark. I put another coil on it that I knew was good and still no spark. I disconnected the igniter, and with the plug out I couldn't see any spark. I use NGK plugs and some times they are very hard to see a spark. I put the plug back in leaving the igniter unplugged, the engine fired right up and ran fine. So that is why the question about the igniter. Thanks for you help

·
'67 SS 12, 77 16/6 Twin,
240 Posts
I don't know the answer but it seems to be an amplifier of some kind. I just went through that with a hydro 185 540V Kawasaki I aquired. I replaced a missing coil and mine wouldn't even think about firing. I replaced the igniter and it would fire occasionally. Then I discovered the new plug I installed was bad. Since I changed that...NO problems. I'll disconnect the igniter next time I am using it to see what happens. Probably tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,753 Posts
With no igniter, absolutely nothing should happen. nothing!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the Igniter unplugged it runs fine! The igniter was plugged in when the it quit, as I said in my first post. This is where my question is, if it runs just fine with the Igniter unplugged, why do I need the Igniter? I have had this tractor for about 6years, I didn't even know about the igniter until it quit. Thanks for the help. I don't want to run it without the Igniter if its going to hurt something else.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,737 Posts
Well something has to tell the plug when to fire. Coil just steps up voltage so you get spark, so the igniter has to function like old style points, or the electronic ignition module, or the combination of the two (magneto). I'm trying to figure out how it functions if it is not mounted to pick up the proper timing on the cam/crank. Any one got a pic of where this thing is located? I'm hoping to pass knowledge on to all of us.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
The ignitor is a fancy expensive version of the Nova ignition sold as replacements for points engines. I even used a Nova to replace the ignitor on my Kawasaki powered 14SB JD walk behind. The way it works is it fires the engine when it senses the polarity change when the magnets go past the coil. I might have the order backwards but the magnets have north and south poles/ends and that is what makes the internal electrical switch in the ignitor fire the spark plug. A Kawasaki will not run without an ignitor on it if it is designed to have one. Roger

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what I don't get, mine runs just fine with it unplugged, but won't run with it plugged in! Thanks for the help. I don't want to ruin anything by running it unplugged.

·
Banned
321 Posts
It's just a Ignition Module that John Deere loves to install on all their lawn tractors. If you buy one from John Deere take alone a full loaded check book or wallet loaded for bear. However, you can buy one from Amazon for about $11.00

I owned (did) a 1985 JD Lawn Tractor with that Ignitor that gave me fits. The Parts guy at the dealer showed me how to remove it and the tractor would start and run as usual. I did have that instruction sheet in my files, but the life of me I cannot locate it today.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys again: I will try to shed some light on this question. I got this JD 325 with a blown engine, the owner's kid ran it out of oil, it through a rod. That engine didn't have an igniter, although I didn't know it at the time. I got a used Kaw 540V installed it, it had an igniter, although I didn't notice it at the time, because everything was all buttoned up and running when I got it. Moving ahead to the problem at hand, the engine just suddenly stopped. I did all the usual checks and decided it was the coil. I had kept the blown up 540V so I swapped out the coils, this is when I noticed the blown up engine didn't have a igniter and the engine I had bought used did have an igniter. I guessing the coil from the blown up engine has an internal igniter. The engine runs fine with the igniter unplugged but won't run with plugged in, so that igniter must have failed, and when I put the other coil on I unknowingly fixed it. That's my story and sticking with it! lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
When your igniter is unplugged does your PTO work?
I have the same issue with my 260 / FC540V
1) Stopped running while mowing.
2) Exchanged all the electrical parts from my other mower. No Change.
3) Unplugged the single igniter wire and it starts and runs fine. Except the PTO won't turn on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ignitor is a fancy expensive version of the Nova ignition sold as replacements for points engines. I even used a Nova to replace the ignitor on my Kawasaki powered 14SB JD walk behind. The way it works is it fires the engine when it senses the polarity change when the magnets go past the coil. I might have the order backwards but the magnets have north and south poles/ends and that is what makes the internal electrical switch in the ignitor fire the spark plug. A Kawasaki will not run without an ignitor on it if it is designed to have one. Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
See this is an old thread but have been researching what others have done on the Kawasaki (PA540A) 17HP igniter module.
Short of shelling out $75.00 for the genuine Kawasaki module, I went the full gambit on a new ignition coil and aftermarket module to no avail.
Just in case anyone else is experiencing this futile experiment in the cruel joke perpetrated on the American consumer, here’s my solution.
1. Remove the factory coil and igniter module and chunk them in the trash.
2. Get an ignition coil for a Honda GX620 (non rev limiter type).
And this is were it gets a little tricky.
3. On the Honda coil, you’ll need to modify the mounting holes to get the proper distance between the coil and the flywheel.
Case closed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts