My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ad read.."Used Craftsman LT1000, 15 hp I/C Gold, 42 inch cut, auto, should run, been in storage, one flat tire".

Upon visiting the owner, yup the tire is flat alright. Really flat. Not just on the bottom, but all around. Seems as though the tire was low on air, so the owner plugged in his handy dandy 12 volt auto tire inflator and started to air it up. He then went upstairs to answer the telephone, and.....KABOOM.

Guess the little auto inflator was too much for the almost new 20 inch Turf Saver to take. Just a few cords kept it from totally flying off the rim. Duct tape won't fix this slow leaker.

:fing20:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
One of the funniest things I ever saw was a dude filling up his bike tire from one of those old service/gas station air hoses (back in the day when they had'em). He had his head turned talking with someone pumping gas and wasn't paying attention. BANG!! that tire exploded to pieces and he fell back on his butt. No harm done aside from the tire and perhaps his drawers. Sure was funny tho.

Joel

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
My neighbor was filling a tire from his tractor when the tire blew and he broke his leg.
I could see that happening.. Tires can be very dangerous.. I had a 52 chevy truck sitting here. i put bout fifteen psi into it so i could move the truck.. i hear it starting to hiss.. I ran (well ran as best as i can) i just got around the corner of the front of the truck and BANG... i heard ringing for two days.. :fing20: I couldn't imagine what that would be like sitting right in front of it..

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I never would have guessed that one of those little pumps would have the guts to blow a tire, my small emergency pump barely has the power to air up a front tire on my LT let alone a car tire which is what it's for.

Guess I better watch using it lol.

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts
I could see that happening.. Tires can be very dangerous.. I had a 52 chevy truck sitting here. i put bout fifteen psi into it so i could move the truck.. i hear it starting to hiss.. I ran (well ran as best as i can) i just got around the corner of the front of the truck and BANG... i heard ringing for two days.. :fing20: I couldn't imagine what that would be like sitting right in front of it..
Why would 15lbs blow up a tire??

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The first Old Bolens I ever bought (a 1256) was riding home securely tied down inside the enclosed trailer behind my truck, which was Southbound on I-5 at 75+mph, when I heard a KABOOM!! that was so loud, I was sure that someone nearby had fired off a 44mag on the freeway somewhere. When I got home and opened the trailer, there were bits of tire all over the place, and the shredded remains of the sidewalls on the rim of one of the front wheels of my "new" Bolens.
I guess the PO had aired up the tires prior to my arrival, and the combination of rotted tires/tubes, too much air, and 100+ degree heat in the trailer was the right combination to explode a 40 year old tire right off the rim.
From the scattered remains of tire that were all over the trailer, I am sure glad I wasn't nearby when it blew.

·
forkz
5,950 Posts
back when i was 20 21 yrs old a buddy had a ole station wagon we were riding one day and a beer bottle did the same thing glass n beer everwhere i was bout to jump out it had been n there aq few days n was realy hot i guess it got shook up til it had to go

·
15,000 +posts!
20,543 Posts
I was at a small tractor pull and show locally last summer,and a guy had a old Wheel-Horse R-58 for sale,and it had very dry rotted tires on the front of it...I saw an inner tube poking out of a crack on the sidewall,just when a small boy who was walking by it was "pawing" the tractor--his dad scolded him and said "GET AWAY from that,its NOT yours to be touching!..

--the defiant young boy just HAD to reach out and touch it once more,to see how far he could push his dad,before he really got angry!--about a second after he touched the front of the tractor,the tube exploded with a very loud BANG,and I thought the poor little guy was going to soil his britches!..the sun got the tire so hot it blew the tube and chunks of tire right off the rim...:D...the kids father thought his son was responsible for the tire popping,but the owner of the tractor said "no,he didn't do it--I figured that tube was going to blow sometime today!..

Tires can kill you pretty easily if one grenades when your too close--I always hated "split rims" ,the only way I'd inflate a tire on those rims was to place it under the forks on the forkloader at the junkyard...my dad worked with a guy who was killed by one when he was in too big a hurry to use the "cage",when the tire beads popped the ring flew off the rim and blew him 25' up into a metal roofed ceiling,and he was stuck there,he made it halfway thru the steel roofing--died almost instantly..:(
I've seen tractor trailer tires explode and lift a loaded trailer a good foot off the ground before..:eek:..

·
Registered
933 Posts
I work for an excavating company and we did a job in Cranberry, Pa. We had 2 Cat 937 scrapers on the job, one of which had a slow leak in the rear tire. Next to the job site was a truck garage and they allowed us to get air and water as we needed it. Well, the operator went over to fill the tire, after he hooked up the air line, he started b.s.ing with one of the mechanics since it takes quite a while to air up a 7 and a half foot tall tire. I think you all can see where this is going. I was over on the jobsite about 200 yards away, and heard a large explosion. A really large explosion. Looking up, I saw something flipping about 100 feet in the air. Turns out, when the 32 ply tire(did I mention, a 7 and a half foot tall tire?) let go, it blew the rear fender off the scraper launching it 100 feet in the air. A 350 pound fender. It totally wrecked the fender mount, ripping it in 2, a 4x4 steel tube, and not light wall steel. Luckily, nobody was near the machine when the tire let go, but it could have been really ugly.

·
Administrator
11,809 Posts
A local guy was killed here a few years ago when a tire exploded on an old car he was working on. He was right in front of it when it blew.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts