My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LT155 with the K51B transaxle (AM880203, serial #142350) was whining a bit so I decided to change the oil and Input shaft assy. All went well and the whining was gone.

However, the belt is jumping off the trans drive pulley. I'm pretty sure everything went back together when I removed the fan to change the shaft. I've put the belt on several times which requires removing the deck and the belt issue only seems to happen when the deck is installed and the deck belt is disengaged. It does not seem to happen when the deck is removed.

In the picture you can see that the belt touches the fan blades in the slack positio, brake on. I can't find any info or pics on the net. Does everything look ok in the pic? Is the pulley placed above the fan?
20200521_130036.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The deck isn't causing the problem. In the pic you can see the belt touching the fan at rest. The spacer goes on the shaft with the blade on top of it. What's going on? I would suspect the belt but this problem just started suddenly. My brand new fan !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Looks like the belt guide over the trans belt is not where it is supposed to be. But yes if the belt is slack and drops onto the fan, that is normal I think. I put a fan on one and it did that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,041 Posts
looks like you are missing the snap ring on the input shaft possibly, that helps hold the whole fan/pulley stack up?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have my LT160 in the garage so I took a Picture of it. I thought they were the same setup but my belt guide goes under the belt. Probably no help.
Cannon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all.

I called Deere and the parts man read the sequence of parts on the shaft and they were correct so that only left the belt. He had the belt and fan so off I went.

Installed the new belt and found that there is an adjustable idler which I didn't know about. Nice to know. Works great now.

When I was looking at the posts for this K51, I noticed many questions about changing oil. It's not a hard job but the transmission has to be removed which is a little trickier. Made a big difference by stopping the whining.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Loosen the 13mm nut in the center. It's a carriage bolt captured at the top. Move the pulley in the direction of the arrows.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thanks, I check to see if the LT160 is the same. I've had some trouble with the belt slipping on it.
Cannon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s not obvious on the picture but the pulley is moved by loosening the nut and moving the whole pulley, not the belt guide.

To install a new belt, you remove the whole idler assembly and you will then see the arced slot on the plate above the pulley. To remove the assembly, remove the bolt seen to the left of the pulley. There is a spacer above the pulley and a nut on top. It’s very easy to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts