My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So the 46 has a 3 inch pulley , 12/16 outside width, and the 70 has a 5” 13/16 (outside) width.

Will the belt work with the wider 5” and can I just put the 3” on the 70? It’s the same spline, I tested
C0820D67-5BAE-484B-84D3-62F94DFBDD1A.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
11/16 outside width , typo.
I’m going to just try the 3” pulley. I’m assuming the original kawi engine ran a 5” as well to match rpm.
Also cutting the pan so it can be easily removed without having to take off the dash area thing.
F2977C22-B208-4618-9F34-FFE342552EEB.jpeg

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it fits, it must work right ?
The thing you want to keep in mind with pulleys is the speed you end up with, so you have to do the math. The other thing is that the smaller the pulley, the harder it is on the belt to transfer the power necessary, without slipping. The larger surface area of the larger belt helps as does the larger pulley diameter. To get the correct speed at the transmission, you would need to use a bigger pulley on the engine.

·
I break things
367 Posts
Looks like a good project. I replaced my K46 with a K71. I considered the K70 series when I was planning the project, but didn't want to fuss with having to adjust linkages for neutral. The K71 and newer have auto-neutral plus I was able to find one with a diff-lock.

I used the OE pulleys from the tractor and K46. This should spin the K71 at the correct RPM. Biggest thing is making sure you are on the same "plane" as the old transaxle to make sure the belts dont jump. I had to shim the pully a little and also drop the transaxle about 1/4 inch to line up properly. The OE width belt transfers power just fine. My tractor is a yard mule...no more mowing. With 23 in tires, I couldn't fit the deck anymore too...

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Looks like a good project. I replaced my K46 with a K71. I considered the K70 series when I was planning the project, but didn't want to fuss with having to adjust linkages for neutral. The K71 and newer have auto-neutral plus I was able to find one with a diff-lock.

I used the OE pulleys from the tractor and K46. This should spin the K71 at the correct RPM. Biggest thing is making sure you are on the same "plane" as the old transaxle to make sure the belts dont jump. I had to shim the pully a little and also drop the transaxle about 1/4 inch to line up properly. The OE width belt transfers power just fine. My tractor is a yard mule...no more mowing. With 23 in tires, I couldn't fit the deck anymore too...

Good luck!
I think I read that neutral issue somewhere, but this one has a spring/ shock, that forces it back to neutral, slowly. Worked when I spun the pulley with an impact:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Added a little extra meat
32CE646E-F1B3-459B-B112-C878CE193F96.jpeg
to the rear bracket. I feel like the front will need a little extra to prevent axle twist.

·
I break things
367 Posts
I didn't do any welding for the axle brackets. I just did mild reinforcement with angled steel. I dont have a welder otherwise I might have. What you did should b plenty strong. There were a couple pics, but I suspect photobucket messed them up when the started to charge for storage. I figured the mild reinforcement would be fine for my use at the moment. I got the transaxle off Ebay. While it works just fine, it is tired and could use a rebuilding.

The weak link on our machines will be the frames. I have seen many tweak just behind the front wheels from snow blowers and plow blades. Eventually I would like to reinforce the frame, but I need a welder for that.

My rig was beefed up for hauling a trailer full of wood and snow removal. I dont suspect I will ever use it for more than that. I would like to tap into the aux hydraulics eventually but that will be custom for the plow blade.

I like what you have done so far. The one comment i have is the front mounting tab. You may want to consider adding a gusset to prevent bending. Going over rough terrain/bumps might be an issue over the long run.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
nice. if you use the larger front axle, may need to get matching larger front wheels.... just sayin'

61 - 72 of 72 Posts