My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had to look. 23 hp to turn a 48" deck and a inadequate diff for anything but level ground. Even in a lawn tractor just appear to be something stupid going on. A new frame on the diff and you may have a decent tractor when done.
Yea I think the power plant is decent, the gt had 17 hp and torque maybe 5-8 less, and I want to ground engage, so I want to run some angle or flat stock down the length of the frame for reinforcement, and that will leave the spindles as the last main weak point. I think .. also I believe there are ports for aux hydraulics on the bottom of the new tranny

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think the plasma cutter will take care of the access points.

Better keep the Kawasaki for when the Briggs dies.
You nailed it haha.
And if I had the original gt I wouldn’t be fooling with this sissy poulan Deere, I only scored the axle off eBay unfortunately

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
And if I had the original gt I wouldn’t be fooling with this sissy poulan Deere
Now you're just going past ignorance straight into trolling.

I'm sorry your roughly 15 year old lawnmowers rear end **** the bed after you decided to **** with it, but that's operator error at best.

You made a poor decision to push a machine past it's design limits, and when it failed you want to blame the machine.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It might be @Adult life didn't know the purpose of the machine he purchased. If he bought it at a big box stores, the probably told him it was the best thing since sliced bread. If he went to the dealer, I would expect the dealer tried upselling. I was in that situation almost 14 years ago. I came into the dealer expecting to buy a 100 series, but was convinced it was worth spending almost 3 times my initial expectation to get an X300. At the time, I don't know if I would have been willing to go to 5X for the X500 series.

It is possible that the transmission failed through no fault of the user. Everything has a failure rate, and manufacturing defects do occur. It is also possible the mower was used well beyond its design limits and that is why it failed.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Congratulations for thinking and doing, whether its a box store mower or whatever. Thinking and doing is a great quality that seems to be disappearing these days. If you have the parts and energy, what have you got to lose.....nothing. If it runs great, you've got a moment of pride and accomplishment. Go for it, and more power to ya!!

Do the trans to frame mounts match up OK? If not, might be interesting to see close ups of what kind of adapters you made.

Good luck and thanks for posting your progress whether it works or not, it is still interesting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I don’t beli
Now you're just going past ignorance straight into trolling.

I'm sorry your roughly 15 year old lawnmowers rear end ** the bed after you decided to ** with it, but that's operator error at best.

You made a poor decision to push a machine past it's design limits, and when it failed you want to blame the machine.
I don’t think it’s trolling if it’s my thread, but I’m glad you corrected my incorrect opinion with your more correct opinion, albeit unsolicited.

Show me what you built, not financed for 11 years. ;)

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
I don’t beli

I don’t think it’s trolling if it’s my thread, but I’m glad you corrected my incorrect opinion with your more correct opinion, albeit unsolicited.

Show me what you built, not financed for 11 years. ;)
I believe you stated you welded together two parts of an existing product, I was unaware that doing that created a whole new product?

All you did was cause an existing product to operate in a way it explicitly was not meant to, Tuff Torq builds enough transaxles with a locking differential and the K46 is not one of them for a reason.

It's weird how you think that's an opinion, and not a fact.

You came here talking a bunch of uneducated BS about the 100 series, and I called you out on it because these machines deserve more credit than you're willing to give them.

It's also kind of funny that you're going to try to shame me for, what, having good credit? For spending money in a capitalist economy?

I don't know if you're young and poor, or old and bitter, either way trying to project that upon others is unbecoming of you.

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
Oh, and I financed for 6 years, not 11- and it will be paid for long before then.

Sorry for having credit, beautiful. ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Congratulations for thinking and doing, whether its a box store mower or whatever. Thinking and doing is a great quality that seems to be disappearing these days. If you have the parts and energy, what have you got to lose.....nothing. If it runs great, you've got a moment of pride and accomplishment. Go for it, and more power to ya!!

Do the trans to frame mounts match up OK? If not, might be interesting to see close ups of what kind of adapters you made.

Good luck and thanks for posting your progress whether it works or not, it is still interesting.
I couldn’t make the existing mounts work, too far out to lunch !
DD8B08B9-8F79-4BAE-B453-005B89EBB37B.jpeg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I believe you stated you welded together two parts of an existing product, I was unaware that doing that created a whole new product?

All you did was cause an existing product to operate in a way it explicitly was not meant to, Tuff Torq builds enough transaxles with a locking differential and the K46 is not one of them for a reason.

It's weird how you think that's an opinion, and not a fact.

You came here talking a bunch of uneducated BS about the 100 series, and I called you out on it because these machines deserve more credit than you're willing to give them.

It's also kind of funny that you're going to try to shame me for, what, having good credit? For spending money in a capitalist economy?

I don't know if you're young and poor, or old and bitter, either way trying to project that upon others is unbecoming of you.
Oef what’s your address so I can ship you this venerable k46 door stop?

You can use it in another Murray 100 series.

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
While I certainly appreciate your generous offer, I will pass. I would rather one that hasn't been molested, such as what was in my old D160.

I do hope that the new transaxle works out well for you, the 100 series could be much more than a lawnmower with a stouter rear-end. However that was not the direction Mama Deere chose to go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
New obstacle, in order to keep the pulleys in the same plane, the front has to come up about 6”...longer spindles? Huge front tires? any ideas?
6B25AF25-A1D5-4F2E-9A85-4D78F844F5CC.jpeg

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
Longer spindles with a larger front wheel? Something more akin to what an X500 might have up front?

·
That Guy
1,119 Posts
Disregard thesiunda
that would be sweet, maybe the whole front end off a 500 ?
You know, I bet it could be done.

There was a thread in the Cub Cadet forum where a fellow built his XT1 into a garden tractor that rivals the XT3- to include, I believe, the XT3's front axle. I'll see if I can find it, he did spectacular work.

Hey man, sorry for being a dink, I just have a big soft spot in my heart for the 100 series.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts