My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The welded spider gears on the k46 provided excellent traction but ultimately led to its demise when the bull gear struck the bottom of the case and puked its guts while mowing..

Attempting to resurrect the little la140 and give it the legs it deserved.

Organ Donor: gt275 Deere

·
Super Moderator
30,074 Posts
Well looks like you're already into the guts of the project. Always good to see a machine get an upgrade!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed! These Home Depot machines don’t deserve to wear the badge. Hopefully this weekend I’ll have a minute to pull the pan and dry fit the axle

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,961 Posts
Welcome to MTF from Michigan, the helping hand state. Usually this topic area is for introductions about yourself and your equipment. What your topic covers is more appropriate in the L&G tractor area under John Deere. The mods/admins will probably move this to that area.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
That's quite a jump, good luck if you can make it work.

·
motorcycle cowboy
846 Posts
If you keep all of the posts together in your original thread it'll be easier to follow your progress.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve seen a guy put a 71 or 72 in one I believe, and there is a popular kit for the k66, buts it’s over $1k I believe. Plus kits are boring and come with instructions, and you know how we are with reading those...

·
That Guy
1,158 Posts
Agreed! These Home Depot machines don’t deserve to wear the badge. Hopefully this weekend I’ll have a minute to pull the pan and dry fit the axle
The 100 series are excellent machines, and most of then last a good while when used as residential lawnmowers, which is all they are. They're not garden tractors, and should never be treated as such.

They're just as much a Deere as the 1025R sitting outside my house.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The 100 series are excellent machines, and most of then last a good while when used as residential lawnmowers, which is all they are. They're not garden tractors, and should never be treated as such.

They're just as much a Deere as the 1025R sitting outside my house.
100% correct.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
At least the Tranny will outlast every other piece of the LA. Even if the LA is only used residentially.

Keep us posted. I love the seat of the pant crazy idea projects. I started out with making the 165 to a 175. It has only gone wilder from there.

Reactions: Adult life

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you believe a grossly inflated $2300 rebranded MTD is equivalent to a 1025’s build quality, that’s on you buddy. But them all up.
Anyways.
Got her naked, and started trimming the odds and ends w the plasma. May box the frame or add some angle. Let’s have fun right ?
ACCC9D18-41BC-4496-8012-6C64B5AB5869.jpeg
E91D64F1-7A72-4E1F-A922-0032FF4F39C6.jpeg

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why not pressure wash that pig before you start the project?? And when you check the fluid or refill it after a filter change how will you get to the filler??

·
That Guy
1,158 Posts
If you believe a grossly inflated $2300 rebranded MTD is equivalent to a 1025’s build quality, that’s on you buddy. But them all up.
Anyways.
Rebranded MTD? You can just get right on out of here with that jive.

The 100 series was designed and built by Deere to compete in the residential market. They're produced at a John Deere facility in Tennessee, by John Deere.

No, a 100 series LAWNMOWER is not up to par with a 1025R SUBCOMPACT. It is, however, superior to it's direct competition just as the 1025R is.

Again, the 100 series are lawnmowers, that's their primary purpose.

$2500 won't buy you a new garden tractor, at that price they're ALL lawnmowers.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Why not pressure wash that pig before you start the project?? And when you check the fluid or refill it after a filter change how will you get to the filler??
I think the plasma cutter will take care of the access points.

Better keep the Kawasaki for when the Briggs dies.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
I had to look. 23 hp to turn a 48" deck and a inadequate diff for anything but level ground. Even in a lawn tractor just appear to be something stupid going on. A new frame on the diff and you may have a decent tractor when done.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts