My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That’s a good idea. My mother in laws property I mow has sections that are 20-30 % grade. Horrible for a zero turn but I did it.... really slowly. Might mow half of it with it off see what the oil temp gets to then check it myself with the infrared gauge then with it on.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great idea and even better install.
I'm second guessing but I'd add a skid plate and it might have been a benefit to have added a small blocking plate/*** between the inlet and outlet fittings. Looked like you had enough clear space inside the Tufftorx.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I thought about that when I was looking inside of the K46. The reason I choose those two spots is they are recessed holes from the main section of housing. Threading the fittings in other spots would not work as well because they would stick farther into the K46. There isn’t much room between the two ports and the bottom of the pump (it’s a tight fit throughout the whole thing). There is also the support bracket for the two magnets near the pump. You wouldn’t be able to put much of anything to separate the ports. In that one picture you can see my fittings are flush with the inside of the bottom housing. I’m hoping that there is enough oil being sucked into the pump that it circulates the oil through the K46 so it’s more effective.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I would have tried to return the oil to the side of the tower portion of the case beside the vent. Might not have been room though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would have tried to return the oil to the side of the tower portion of the case beside the vent. Might not have been room though.
I took a while looking at the inside of it and all of the fittings 3/8 size would protrude too far inside. I’m hoping that the pump sucks up the cool oil fast enough to circulate it well. I’ll find out when it gets hot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I ran my mower for a short time today then checked for any leaks.... well it’s my dumb fault but I should have got a new seal for my Holley red pump. It has a very slight leak on the bottom, but ordered a new seal. Didn’t leak from anywhere else though! I didn’t run it long enough to test temps.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well replaced the gasket and it’s not leaking. I ordered a similarly thick silicone 6x6 inch universal gasket that can withstand up to 260 Celsius if this one can’t handle the temps or oil. I’ll take a video of this thing running when it gets warmer outside!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So... first time mowing my mother in laws property. You can see in the picture how steep it is. It was 70 degrees outside so not too hot. It’s pretty dang steep I couldn’t mow side ways, tire would lose traction, granted just has turf saver tires on. So I did what I made this mower for, going up big ol hills. In the other picture the temp was about 115 to 120. Hottest it got. I’m pretty pleased with the results so far and I am going to get different rear tires, I made them work but I really need to get like some hdap tires. Well see how it does on a really hot day in summer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
So... first time mowing my mother in laws property. You can see in the picture how steep it is. It was 70 degrees outside so not too hot. It’s pretty dang steep I couldn’t mow side ways, tire would lose traction, granted just has turf saver tires on. So I did what I made this mower for, going up big ol hills. In the other picture the temp was about 115 to 120. Hottest it got. I’m pretty pleased with the results so far and I am going to get different rear tires, I made them work but I really need to get like some hdap tires. Well see how it does on a really hot day in summer.
How long were you mowing for? If the temp holds that well in the heat you should be in great shape here. Great way to keep that hydro healthy. Great job!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I ran it for about an hour solid, gota be careful on hills no matter what ya driving!

One thing I did notice is a slight bit of oil came out the breather cap. I had about 2.75 quarts in the whole loop and transmission, so going up that hill, even with the breather at a higher point probably let excess out, it was like 2 oz of oil probably. Very little.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Which breather? Engine or Hydro? And if the oil was foamy might that be a cause for concern? Had you mowed that hill previously and didn't see oil?
Want that you succeed with this, a lesson for us all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Which breather? Engine or Hydro? And if the oil was foamy might that be a cause for concern? Had you mowed that hill previously and didn't see oil?
Want that you succeed with this, a lesson for us all.
I extended the transaxle breather up higher because I was adding a cooler that sit higher than the transaxle. Therefore I needed to raise it up so oil wouldn’t come out of the breather cap. It works well. I also cut the deck level adjuster handle down cause it’s too dang tall... just right now ?

Also.. the hill I mowed was pretty dang steep. Like 20% or more grade. If you don’t run the pump going up a steep hill that oil wants to go to the back of the setup so you gota have it running when using on a steep hill. The stock fill on that k46 is like 2.1 quarts. With the cooler and extra capacity it’s got about 2.8 quarts. The oil wasn’t foamy either a small amount came out of the breather cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I’ve noticed something with the 15w50 oil. These K46 like it a lot however if it’s below 55 degrees it definitely more noisy until it warms up a bit. Once it warms up it’s perfect. We had a cold morning and it was about 45 degrees in my garage.

I mowed another property about 2 acres and I didn’t even break 100 degrees F. It was 67 outside.

I have to say too I really like this d170. That 54 inch edge deck is awesome. It came with xht predator blades on it... it cuts so nice. And I’ve yet to bog that 26 hp b&s engine down. The Scag I had, had a 22 hp Kawasaki and it was awesome but it was underpowered for a 1100 lb machine. You could bog down easy in it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nice modification!. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well after all the work I did i happened upon an exceptional deal on a kubota 4wd bx1800.... I couldn’t pass it up.

So I did sell my D170 to someone locally and that gentleman was very happy he got it! I’m sure it will last a long time for him! I hope this thread helps anyone with future endeavors with a k46.

Now I get to tinker with diesel! Lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Well after all the work I did i happened upon an exceptional deal on a kubota 4wd bx1800.... I couldn’t pass it up.

So I did sell my D170 to someone locally and that gentleman was very happy he got it! I’m sure it will last a long time for him! I hope this thread helps anyone with future endeavors with a k46.

Now I get to tinker with diesel! Lol
Congrats duder! That should do a lot of good work and you don't have to worry about killing the hydro. Go crazy.

What did the buyer think about the K46 cooler?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
He really liked it. He had some pretty steep hills too. In fact that’s why he wanted it. Without that I couldn’t see a regular mower doing well on the kind of hills he had and those hdap tires also help with traction. I hope it works great for him! This 4wd on this kubota has totally spoiled me..... I’ve also become a fan of a 54” deck.. it’s just right not too big not too small.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts