My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, So after doing 10 hour of blowing snow I decide to change the oil in the tranny.

Here the step I done

1. Take off the tranny form the tractor
2. Take off the pulley (snap ring)
3. Take off the fill/refill cap (be gentle)
4. Take off the magnet (you can see already the dirt from the run-down steel)

PS: I did not open the tranny because it is on warranty, but for a perfect
Job you have to open it and clean the other magnet. (But you are voiding your warranty if you open it)

Attachments

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
5. Turn over and let it drain
6. Here you can see the 2 opening for each compartment (pump and differential)
7. It is recommend by TuffTorq to use 5W50 full synthetic oil (1.85 L)
8. Put back the tranny on the tractor
9. Do the bleeding procedure

1. Raise rear wheels off the ground. Support rear axles with jack stands.
2. Start and run engine at SLOW idle.
3. While alternately depressing the forward and reverse pedals, engage
And disengage the release wheel lever.
4. Continue this procedure until the rear wheels start to rotate. This step may take
5. to 10 minutes to perform.
5. Lower the machine to the ground.
6. With control pedals in neutral, push the machine forward and then rearward
To turn the motor rotating group.
7. Start and run the engine at FAST idle.
8. Quickly depress and release the forward and reverse pedals until the machine
Moves without hesitation, Check oil level

And now the road test, first remark less noisy and better response on the pedal (forward and reverse) ;)

Attachments

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here I filter about 1/2 L of the old oil (look closely)

Attachments

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
29,527 Posts
they can't void the warranty for changing the oil. what they CAN do is void it if yyou don't get it back to spec, so too much or too little oil causes the tranny fail, well you could be on your own. it also cannot void the warranty for any other part of the machine. so worst case is if he screwed up(and it looks good to me) then they could not honor warranty for the tranny only, everything else still covered.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think if the transmission is non-servicible, and he's pulled the transmission and drained the fluid, he has certainly brought the warranty into question. You can bet if there is a tranny failure in that machine and they discover the fluid does not match the factory spec, that warranty is history.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
they can't void the warranty for changing the oil. what they CAN do is void it if yyou don't get it back to spec, so too much or too little oil causes the tranny fail, well you could be on your own. it also cannot void the warranty for any other part of the machine. so worst case is if he screwed up(and it looks good to me) then they could not honor warranty for the tranny only, everything else still covered.
Thats right. We have the Magnuson Moss act to cover us. And to take a step further they have to prove that what you have done cause the failure.

That said most people would not take to to that level going to court to go through all that.

I am surprised you have to take the transaxle out to change oil??

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your dealer does not warrant the tractor John Deere does.
I don’t want to argue, but me I’m dealing with the dealer (so form my point of view it is John Deere, I covert my back with the dealer, after that it is he’s problem not mine if he have to deal with the mother companies)

And just for the record I'm a certify Mechanic (class 1) and the dealer note that to.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I think if the transmission is non-servicible, and he's pulled the transmission and drained the fluid, he has certainly brought the warranty into question. You can bet if there is a tranny failure in that machine and they discover the fluid does not match the factory spec, that warranty is history.
]

Bingo!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
They did not forget it.Its a non sevicable transaxel.Or atleast it was suppose to be.There is also no filter for this reason.Its considered a sealed unit.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
Amazing. Things are going disposable !!

Might be just as easy to tip the tractor over and do all the fluids at once

I think I will keep my trusty 345 for a while :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's your tractor so I see no reason why you cant change your oil when you want! :congrats:

Thanks for the photos I have that same tranny in my newer John Deere with 160 hours on it...I may do the same thing!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Amazing. Things are going disposable !!

Might be just as easy to tip the tractor over and do all the fluids at once

I think I will keep my trusty 345 for a while :)
Very few lawn tractors have a servicable transaxel that ussually only found on Garden tractors.1 exception was the Cub Cadet 2166 it had a drain and filter.I had a 2166 and did change the oil and filter by the book.It was the only one of many I have owned that failed go figure.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They did not forget it.Its a non sevicable transaxel.Or atleast it was suppose to be.There is also no filter for this reason.Its considered a sealed unit.
I’m sorry but it have a filter inside the pump compartment, and it is not replaceable by the customer, only by a certify mechanic (like me).

But I did not want to go that far so that why I did not open it to change the filter

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.