My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi,
i'm looking for advice on a K321 14 hp rebuild. .010 over with new gasket set. the reason for the rebuild was a bit of smoke from the breather. bore is right on for clearance, ring gaps are very acceptable, no direction indicator on the piston, rod oriented correctly, breather assembled correctly, valve guides acceptable. i changed to a new carb also. i've had this apart twice after the build to check proper assembly. it SMOKES like crazy when started. no smoke on start up but 5-10 seconds after starting it smokes so much i can not see 3 feet away. it seems to run ok, throttle up or down (it is a bit boggy but that is all the oil it's burning). i've built a few K series over the years and never had this, i've never even had break in smoke with 4 engines. all the other engines have the 3 pc oil ring, this last engine had a 1 pc oil ring. i even got another set of rings just in case something was wrong with that set. is this really break in smoke? one time after i started it i heard fire trucks, i turned it off and get the leaf blower to clear the area. i'm glad they didn't stop at my place. i don't feel i can run this around the lawn without smoking everything out and i'm quite rural. until a good snow comes to southern ontario all i have is a mower deck to load it up but again all that smoke. is the 1 pc ring harder to seat than the 3 pc? any help would be appreciated
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Wheel

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not too much oil, filled correctly 3 times. first set of rings were checked and correct and the 2nd set is installed right. rings were correct all 3 assemblies times with gaps staggered

·
Likes Vintage JDs
10,069 Posts
Not much to offer, except I have the same engine in my 140 and it was rebuilt 0.010 over too. It does not smoke.

Since you have already swapped rings out, if I was in your shoes I would probably try to load it up and see if I could get those rings to set. Yeah, you’re going to make a smoke show, but hopefully only temporarily.

Also, rereading your initial post, I was wondering about this: “no direction indicator on the piston”?

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not much to offer, except I have the same engine in my 140 and it was rebuilt 0.010 over too. It does not smoke.

Since you have already swapped rings out, if I was in your shoes I would probably try to load it up and see if I could get those rings to set. Yeah, you’re going to make a smoke show, but hopefully only temporarily.

Also, rereading your initial post, I was wondering about this: “no direction indicator on the piston”?
did you have the 3 pc oil rings for your rebuild?
yea, i'm thinking i gotta smoke up the area. these are aftermarket parts and in the kohler books there is a non direction piston, i'm ok on the piston itself. i'm thinking more and more it is the 1 pc oil ring that needs to seat. i guess i'll have to make a sled of sorts to pull for loading the engine.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
10,069 Posts
Unfortunately, I don’t gave those details because I purchased my 140 after the previous owner rebuilt the engine. It had around 25 hours or so on it at the time (rebuilt engine has an hour meter.) It did not smoke then or ever since. Carter carb.

·
Super Moderator
12,774 Posts
Here is an engine I worked on that someone put 2 cycle gas in the tank....this is an injector type engine, so there was 2 cycle OIL in the reservoir already

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is an engine I worked on that someone put 2 cycle gas in the tank....this is an injector type engine, so there was 2 cycle OIL in the reservoir already
i did that on an old kawi triple years ago. this tractor has clean gas 100%

·
Super Moderator
12,774 Posts
I would call Norman at IsaveTractors.com 207-298-9701....he is very experienced and knowledgeable regarding old kohlers

·
Money Pit
999 Posts
Pop the breather hose off and see if it's spitting oil. When you took it back apart was there oil in the intake or exhaust ports or on top of the piston?

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pop the breather hose off and see if it's spitting oil. When you took it back apart was there oil in the intake or exhaust ports or on top of the piston?
no breather hose on K series engines. oil in the exhaust and oil on the piston, of course it's getting into the combustion chamber somehow and it has to exit through the exhaust. both guides were acceptable before the rebuild

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would call Norman at IsaveTractors.com 207-298-9701....he is very experienced and knowledgeable regarding old kohlers
that's a good idea. i did take the block and parts to a guy who build engines more than i do and he said everything looks ok. i'm leaning towards the 1 pc oil ring needs to seat but i've never seen smoke on a new build like this before

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
You could try the 'Barkeepers Friend' trick. Back when Studebaker was functional, their 6 had a tendency to burn oil. To help them break in and quit smoking quicker, mechanics would puff(dribble? splat?) some Barkeepers Friend into the intake, directly into the carburetor. The fine pumice(?) would enter the combustion chamber and provide a bit of abrasive to make the rings get 'sanded'(more??) to the cylinder walls. Apparently it made them work.
I guess it may have included other brands, as one-piece oil control rings seemed to be not as functional as the three-piece, and were common in the early 1950s(and before and after).
tom

·
Money Pit
999 Posts
Is there any oil coming out the breather? Is it venting? If not loosen the dipstick to vent and see what happens.

·
shop wizard
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Is there any oil coming out the breather? Is it venting? If not loosen the dipstick to vent and see what happens.
no oil pushing out the breather (there is oil in the chamber). i did lift the dipstick and it just makes a bit of noise but no change in the smoke

1 - 20 of 54 Posts