My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy guys so heres a quick question what would a small engines mechanic charge to rebuild a kohler k301? just wondering What Ive done is cleaned the engine completly honed the cylinder lapped the valves rebuild carb new seals and gaskets new rings piston and connecting rod. I rebuilt the engine for a friend and am not charging but was just wondering what a mechanic would charge? By the way I posted a thread earlier asking about this engine and I mesured the bore and turns out I only need standard rings and piston if anyone was wondering so Its gonna turn out good :trink39:

·
Registered
709 Posts
they like to oblong the cylinder are you sure it isn't out of round? If so it could be a short lived rebuild. Should have bored it esp since you did a new piston/rings anyway.
My last few have been $140-150 in machine shop (bore, cut crank, valves) For disassembly/reassembly I'd probably do ~$100ish.

·
Certified Technician
8,551 Posts
If it was brought to me as a complete engine, running...Id power wash it completely, tear it down, measure the crank journal, both ends of the rod, piston, and the bore for taper, barrel shape, and size...hone/bore it accordingly, put in a new Piston, rod, rings, polish the crank if it was good, put in all new seals, gaskets, cut the valves and seats, lap them in and reset lash. Set the crank endplay with the gasket shims, paint the block, head at a minimum, and reassemble it, then run it at varying speeds on the bench for at least 1/2 hour...then change the oil, and call the customer.

Time involved varies wildly depending on if any bolts break or are stripped, if it needs a hone or a bore out....but if it needs only what you say, Id estimate about 7 hours labor or about 420 dollars, plus parts, id look them up and figure in shipping and mark-up, and tack them on...would likely end up around 175 in parts, probably closer to 250 all said and done using only Genuine parts of course. So figure, 600 bucks out the door.

I Just rebuilt a Honda GX390 on Monday of this week, Hone out, new piston, rings, rod, and a used crank, engine came in in 3 boxes...and was filthy with some rust on some parts...all told, I had 3 hours in cleanup, measuring, procuring parts, honing, assembly, and test out...I charged right at 500 out the door with 160 up front...Guy was happy as a Lark and drove 5 hours round trip 2 times to bring it to me, and to pick it up...

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I can tell Red that from your discription here and your diagnostic skills displayed in other threads that your an amazing mechanic. How far do people come for your service? How booked ahead are you?

·
Certified Technician
8,551 Posts
Eh, on rebuilds, I usually have "one in the fire" at all times...But now that im going back into business full time this month, Ill go back to being 2-3 weeks or more pretty quickly. Im going to use a little different business plan than I did when I was in business from 04-07...I was using free pickup and delivery as my "way in" and figured it was my only way in, working out of a 25-20 shop behind my house. But now, with 5 more years under my belt, and knowing what people are willing to do for good service...Im going to offer pickup and delivery, but not free. But Im going to rely on alot of word of mouth advertising, and Im going to advertise in my CL ads for used equipment. No more advertising in the local weekly rags and getting deadbeats looking for cheap service...Im looking to streamline my client list to people willing to pay for a much better experience than they can get elsewhere, and generally for less money due to lower overhead.

Im also changing what I use to pickup and deliver with, and how I do it. I "had" a 4X8 trailer and a 98 Ram 1500. The Trailer had no ramps, I had them seperate and had to set them up every time. Trailer was pretty high, made things interesting, and I could only transport 1 at a time. The Truck got crappy mileage..and the 1/2 ton drivetrain was acceptable but still light duty and needed periodic repairs.

Im going to upgrade to a 1 ton truck, a GMC...it will still get crappy mileage, but the drivetrain is bulletproof (454/4L80E/14 bolt Full Floater), and while it will eventually need repairs, they will hopefully not come as often...im also going to keep my Jeep as a backup tower, just incase. Im looking for a trailer in the 14-16 foot range, and about 6-7 feet wide...Id like to load 2-3 riders at a time, by turning them at an angle, this way I can do 2-3 pickups or deliveries at a time...to save on mileage. But Id like to limit my pickups and deliveries and just have people that "can" drop it off, so just that...and how better to get people motivated to drop it off, than to charge them to pick it up and deliver it...

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Im looking for a trailer in the 14-16 foot range, and about 6-7 feet wide...Id like to load 2-3 riders at a time, by turning them at an angle, this way I can do 2-3 pickups or deliveries at a time...to save on mileage.
Our trailer was custom designed by my wife and her mom. 14" long, 7 foot inside width single axle. Perfect balance, a 12 year old can pick up the tongue and set it on the ball. Has the rear drop down gate as well as 2 side drop downs, on in front and one behind the axle. 3 riders go on easy, one from front gate, next on from the back at an angle snugged up, and #3 from the rear side. I think it only cost about 1400 to have custom built. I can send you pics and measurements if you like.

·
Certified Technician
8,551 Posts
Our trailer was custom designed by my wife and her mom. 14" long, 7 foot inside width single axle. Perfect balance, a 12 year old can pick up the tongue and set it on the ball. Has the rear drop down gate as well as 2 side drop downs, on in front and one behind the axle. 3 riders go on easy, one from front gate, next on from the back at an angle snugged up, and #3 from the rear side. I think it only cost about 1400 to have custom built. I can send you pics and measurements if you like.
Eh, probably wouldnt do much good, there are only 2 shops anywhere near me that will build a trailer and both of them have their own "brand" and wont custom anything for under 2500.

Im just browsing the classifieds, Ive found a few nice ones but they are all homemade. I missed a chance at a sweet 16X6 Tandem with a folding dropwdown rear ramp, He wanted 750 for it which is right in line, but I got to him too late. I used to have a 25X7 Tandem dovetail with brakes, 2X12 plant floor, no sides, and full fenders...but it was just too much trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts