My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
It's hard to tell with those lousy pix, but they look like head studs to hold a bolt on fuel tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking they might be something like that, but wouldn't they just be attached to the head itself instead of the short block? I'm really trying to find out if they are removable so that I can attach the head normally. This seller is really pretty bad about getting back to me.

- fizz

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
I was thinking they might be something like that, but wouldn't they just be attached to the head itself instead of the short block? I'm really trying to find out if they are removable so that I can attach the head normally. This seller is really pretty bad about getting back to me.

- fizz[/QUOTE

You should be able to remove them by locking two nuts together on the stud and back them out. Spray some blaster on them to help release them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts

- fizz
You should be able to remove them by locking two nuts together on the stud and back them out. Spray some blaster on them to help release them.
Good luck.
Just a little more info on that method. Get the two nuts tightened against each other and use the bottom nut to loosen the stud.

Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got this block today. Turns out that the threading for the 2 bolts stops about a 1/2" above the block itself. I tried the 2 bolt backout method without any luck, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. They could even be welded to the block.

- Fizz

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, I got this block today. Turns out that the threading for the 2 bolts stops about a 1/2" above the block itself. I tried the 2 bolt backout method without any luck, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. They could even be welded to the block.

- Fizz
They're studs Fizz. I have 5 of them on my K301 block in my 122

click for big pic

I suggest you soak them with KROIL or another high quality penetrant. If you can't find KROIL, mix acetone and ATF ( yes, automatic transmission fluid ) in a 50/50 mixture and use that.

Run the nuts as close to the bottom as you can, then try again.

They do come out

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts