My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Was looking for some help. I have a John Deere JX75 (serial number over 200k). I was having issues with the transaxle clutch. It turns out the circlip/snap ring under the clutch mechanism loosened up and essentially gouged away part of the main transaxle shaft. This caused the clutch to stick.

Somehow, I need to replace or repair the shaft before I can rebuild the transaxle. I was looking to buy a new or used main transaxle shaft, but the part is not even listed on JD Parts Catalog. The complete transmission part number is AM133605.

Do any of you guys have suggestions / ideas for getting a shaft replacement or repair (rather than buying a brand new transmission)? Does anyone happen to know the original part number for the shaft?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
More Grass!
112 Posts
Is it possible to weld fill into the gouge and machine a clean surface? (I have no idea if that's practical.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible to weld fill into the gouge and machine a clean surface? (I have no idea if that's practical.)
I think that's my plan B - to go see if I can find a machinist and what they would charge.

I've been hoping that I could find a replacement shaft option, but not much luck in the last month or two. I do see a JA62 on eBay right now. My guess is that it shares the same shaft as the JX75, but I haven't found a way to verify that.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
The easiest way to know is to look up both parts on the JD Parts site and see if the number is the same. Jd is pretty good at not duplicating parts or part numbers. Roger

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
there are usually several used jx75 trans on ebay . I would just buy a new trans and be done . if you want to keep this mower for many more years-and who wouldn't. a new trans is a good idea. I recently paid 300$ for a new trans for my jx85 as I need it for my lawn biz. no other mower climbs hills and ditches as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The easiest way to know is to look up both parts on the JD Parts site and see if the number is the same. Jd is pretty good at not duplicating parts or part numbers. Roger
Normally I would go that route but for some reason the shaft part number is blank on both the JX75 and the JA62. The transmission part numbers are AM133605 and AM133604 respectively. I assume the difference is a 5 speed vs a 2 or 3 speed for the JA62, and that the shafts were the same, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there are usually several used jx75 trans on ebay . I would just buy a new trans and be done . if you want to keep this mower for many more years-and who wouldn't. a new trans is a good idea. I recently paid 300$ for a new trans for my jx85 as I need it for my lawn biz. no other mower climbs hills and ditches as well.
Yeah, this whole thing got complicated. I wish I had received and taken that advice a couple months ago. The JX75 is in good shape outside of the transmission. I originally looked up the part number and didn't realize I needed to look for post 200k serial number parts specifically. This led to another mower I bought for parts, but the transmission wasn't compatible (but found it was easier to work on and find parts). Long story short, I now have a 14SB and a JX85 that are restored. I think I'd rather keep them and sell the JX75 since parts are so hard to come by. But I hate to spend $330 on a new transmission when the mower will probably sell for $300 or so.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
do not look at what you can sell this mower for-look at whats its value to you vs the junk you have to choose from you can buy today. these are far superiour to anything made now. this is how I justified the 300$ for my jx85 trans. these are life time mowers almost. best ever made except for the trans desighn. I have had my jx85/14sc for 30 years . this is the first major repair its needed.also parts for the deere models will dry up in the near future. finding my trans was difficult.

·
Turf consultant
140 Posts
If you want to fix the shaft a machinist might be able to spray weld the shaft to fix the gouge and then true it up on a lathe. If you wanted to DIY you might be able MIG the spots, tacking a little bit and letting it cool to not warp the shaft and then find someone with a lathe to turn it.

If the JX75 was a lost cause, I suggest keeping it. There are a lot of hard to find or expensive parts on those: BBC mechanism, rear bag, carb and others.

If the post 200k tranny is hard to find parts for, is there something keeping you from putting in an older, more common one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts