My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 316 has been running fine for almost a year. I am moving back to town, and was actually looking for a house with a big lot so I could keep it since I actually like the thing when it is running. Crazy, I know. But now it broke again so am looking for a little lot I can mow with a little reel mower.
But, I have 3 more months of mowing here.
Yesterday the two outside blade things stopped cutting. The belt is hooked up and all that.

I was mowing along and everything was fine and noisy, then it got a lot quieter. Which was nice, except that only the middle blade was engaging so it took FOREVER to finish mowing.

But the outside blades are kind of jiggly under the mower deck. Since taking off the mower deck is not my favorite thing to do, I figured it would be smart to ask if the blades are supposed to be jiggly? I do not know if the middle blade is jiggly as I didn't feel like sticking my hand that far under it.

(60"deck, I think)

I have a guy now who I can call and he will come fix it, but the thing is, I don't want to spend the money if I can just do it myself.
Also, the tractor will be for sale the end of October. With mower deck and snow blower.

Thanks to whoever knows the answer and can actually find the question in my long post :eek:)

·
Super Moderator
32,618 Posts
Yes, you lost your deck belt, the reason that the middle blade still works is that the PTO belt directly attaches to the middle spindle. You will need to take the cover off the remaining spindles to access if it broke or just jumped. Based upon your description I would guess this may be your first time doing this. You will have to take the deck out from under the tractor to do this. So I'd suggest getting some help. Once you've removed the deck let us know and someone will help you!

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i can get the deck off and out, i have a little stick with a hook on it that i pull it around with. figured it was some belt but did not want to take it off if it seemed to you guys that it was something else.
last time this happened it was the middle blade that was not cutting, and it was some belt under the cover.
i seriously can't wait to move back to town!:thanku:

·
Super Moderator
32,618 Posts
The older tractors do require a bit of work, but remember they're around 30 years old so you have to stay on the maintenance. With a little TLC that tractor might last another 20 years!

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The older tractors do require a bit of work, but remember they're around 30 years old so you have to stay on the maintenance. With a little TLC that tractor might last another 20 years!
and i will be happy to not be the owner for those 20 years :praying:
it's for sale in 3 months if interested !!!

·
Tractorhead
270 Posts
sabrinafree - Sounds as though andythedrew and PA318Guy have your answer regarding the deck belt - either it's worn and broke or it jumped leaving the outboard blades free to spin disconnected from the belt. As for the blades being "jiggly" first of all make sure the bolt in the middle on the large washer of the blade itself is tight. If the bolts are tight then you could have worn spindles and they should be replaced.

Spindles are item number 12 in the illustration.
MP16893________UN17JAN97.jpg

Regarding your move back to the city: I know first hand what it's like to live in the country since I've done so my entire life. Yes, it's a huge undertaking to maintain all that surrounds you. Being a responsible care taker of the land can take a lot out of a person. Surrounded by farm land I live on a, for me anyway, fair sized parcel of land growing winter wheat. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Sounds to me as though you were meant for the city and I know you'll be happier there for sure. So, good luck with that!!!

Speaking of 316s this is my weed mowing tractor. I use a 50" deck on this tractor and I suspect you have the same.
316.jpg

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I wonder if your tensioner spring has seen better days? Does the deck belt feel loose when properly installed?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
First,I just wanted to say Hi Sabrina, glad that your machine has been working well for you. If the center blade is cutting then yes, it's a do-it-yourself job within your skills. Sorry, but you do have to remove the deck. On the top of the deck is a 2 piece cover that protects the mower belt (and also your feet if you should accidently stick a sandled foot down there). Remove that cover (should take a 9/16" wrench) and check out what is going on. Has the belt just popped off? or did it break? That belt shuld go around a total of 4 pulleys, 3 are directly attached to the mower blade shafts, the 4th is on an arm with a fairly big spring attached to keep tension on the belt. Sometimes that spring will have a broken hook on the end which will not allow the outboard blades to turn (no tension). Let us know what you find, we can talk you thru this one pretty easy. I'm trying to remember what problem you had before..... what ever it was we got you thru it and this is MUCH easier.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
:MTF_wel: Sabrina... Glad to see you posting again :fing32:

Don't worry .. Edward hasn't been here much to tease you, so please dont be a stranger :thanku:

·
Super Moderator
32,618 Posts
williamston, michigan. 5 hours from pittsburgh give or take a little.

Hmmm....did one other run to Michigan to pick up a 318 last year! Seems it might pull me back! We'll see, you may get it fixed up and be perfectly happy with it again!

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone, and Hi Joe and Ken n NJ!

Well I figured the deck needed to come off, but didn't want to tear it apart if it seemed like it was something else.

I actually am a little smarter than I was a few years ago with my John Deere from **** for sale.
:thanku:
I had this guy fix the belt thing last spring, so either it is the same thing, or maybe I ran over something. I did not, however, fall asleep and hit a tree this time!

Ken, I actually emailed Edward the other week and he was polite. :fing32: Still can't believe he just up and moved to Alaska, it is so bizarre.

RE: City living. I would say a city is big. I am just moving to town. (Not so big) A place with sidewalks and streetlights. So if you are a person who is inclined to go for a walk in the middle of the night, (as I am) you can see where you are going and not worry about tripping over a dead skunk in the road. Or a dead something or other. I seriously considered staying here and putting a sidewalk around my property, but there wouldn't really be much to look at, and walking around in a circle seems kinda boring.

RE: the 316 for sale, I might already have it sold, but will keep you in mind if the guy doesn't really buy it. I think it might be bigger than he needs, but he probably doesn't know that. It does need a paint job. And a new seat. Unless you are into sitting on a trash bag, which I do.

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
Sabrina, good to hear from you. Has the donkey been chewing on your deck belts!?

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sabrina, good to hear from you. Has the donkey been chewing on your deck belts!?
oh my goodness, i didn't even check for that. i bet you that IS the problem!!!
dang donkey if he would just eat the grass my troubles would be OVER!!!

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I finally got time to fiddle with this. And the yard looks like a hay field.
That guy who fixed this in the spring, he is FIRED.
I could have done it myself before but could not get the bolts off - they just spun around.
And they still do. All he did was get the one bolt off and squeeze in this crappy old belt he had lying around and put it on there. It is rubbery and real stretchy.
I tried chopping off one bolt with a sawzall, but it wouldn't work. (The blade was kinda short and at that point I was WAY too greasy and dirty to go to the store)

SO, how do I get the bolts off? I can't for the life of me figure out where the back of them are, because they are sure not under the deck that I can see...

At this point, when / if I get it torn apart I am repainting the deck and putting all new bolts etc. on it.

Maybe I will get the lawn mowed by Nov. when it is time to sell the tractor.

·
thanks for the help
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ps i already put that pb blaster stuff on the whole thing, it is that the bolts are spinning around and i can't get to the underside of them that is the problem.

·
Super Moderator
32,618 Posts
Sabrina Free, I highly recommend a grinder or Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut them from underneath!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts