My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well even though we are still a couple weeks until mowable lawn season I tried out my new to me X540.
Installed the mulch kit and leveled the deck the other day.
Made a few passes in areas with green grass and it looks to do a nice job.
I then took it by the road where we have uneven ground in the ditch area and this is where my Toro would struggle.
Well NOT this unit, handled it like a billy goat and I couldn't detect ANY frame flex what-so-ever like my oldToro. I think I'm really going to like this new yard toy. :thThumbsU

One other thing I didn't even plan on or think about but this rider is FAST... MUCH faster than the old Toro, almost too fast for my rough lawn in spots so I will certainly need to mow slower than this rig will go. Other areas I'll be able to stretch it out a bit.
:thThumbsU

·
Proud JD Owner
1,740 Posts
Awesome! Glad you're liking the X540! I never fully understood frame-flex until I got my x7. I have a berm on my property, and my Poulan always struggled to mow it. I'd get up there, and frame would do the 'twist', and I'd spin out and lose traction. The frame on that machine has all the rigidity of a wet noodle!

Because it was too much trouble, I would just not mow it. My x7 climbs right up it like a billy goat, and I don't even need the diff lock.

As far as the speed goes, you will find that mowing is less work and more FUN on a great machine. You will want to take a little longer to make the seat time last!:)

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Glad you're liking the X540!

As far as the speed goes, you will find that mowing is less work and more FUN on a great machine. You will want to take a little longer to make the seat time last!:)
I'm Sure I'll enjoy the "chore" of mowing the lawn much more now I won't have to work on the freakin' thing every time I want/need to do the lawn. :thumbup:

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I get to the area of my lawn where my culvert is to mow one area the front suspension is maxed out and one wheel will come off the ground. I do get some frame flex but not to bad.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Glad to hear that you like your new machine!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,645 Posts
Well even though we are still a couple weeks until mowable lawn season I tried out my new to me X540.
Installed the mulch kit and leveled the deck the other day.

I assume you bought it used? Congrats, you got an awesome machine (as you quickly saw !) How many hours, and you had to re-level the deck? Over the years, I've read about lots of people leveling their decks, and wonder how they got out of level. In the however many hours I've mowed with my X748 (out of its 755 hr total), and the 480 hours on my GT235, I've NEVER leveled either deck. There isn't any evidence, when you look at the cut passes, that there's anything uneven.

Not to say it couldn't happen.

Wish it wasn't quite mowing season down here yet. In between the weather fronts bringing rain, I'm mowing twice a week already.

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I assume you bought it used? Congrats, you got an awesome machine (as you quickly saw !) How many hours, and you had to re-level the deck? Over the years, I've read about lots of people leveling their decks, and wonder how they got out of level. In the however many hours I've mowed with my X748 (out of its 755 hr total), and the 480 hours on my GT235, I've NEVER leveled either deck. There isn't any evidence, when you look at the cut passes, that there's anything uneven.

Not to say it couldn't happen.

Wish it wasn't quite mowing season down here yet. In between the weather fronts bringing rain, I'm mowing twice a week already.
Yup, its an 07 with a whopping 44.3 hours on the rider and the snow blower. :thumbup:
As for the deck... It needed leveling that's for sure.
The deck was probably slapped together and tossed on to the guys trailer when he bought it because they installed the snow blower for him.

Very easy to level the deck, much easier than my Toro that's for sure.
Couldn't be more pleased with the whole deal/package.

Now if the freaking grass would just grow. :banghead:

·
Registered
466 Posts
I went from an old Snapper lawn mower to an x720 and thought that I died and went to heaven. I looked very hard at the x540 and went to the dealer with the idea to buy one. Ended up with the x720, but either way, I know that I would have been happy. These tractors are great machines. My wife couldn't understand why we needed to pay so much for a lawn tractor. But after driving it, she now understands and she too enjoys mowing the lawn.

·
Junior weed whacker
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I went from an old Snapper lawn mower to an x720 and thought that I died and went to heaven. I looked very hard at the x540 and went to the dealer with the idea to buy one. Ended up with the x720, but either way, I know that I would have been happy. These tractors are great machines. My wife couldn't understand why we needed to pay so much for a lawn tractor. But after driving it, she now understands and she too enjoys mowing the lawn.
A 720 from a Snapper?!?! Wow, nice rig not to mention a huge step up.

Yep, I too will think I died and went to heaven once I start mowing that is... :what:

Congrats to you on your new toy. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts