My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I admit it I am getting older and comfort is important in mowing. I started looking at a x500 series. Rough ride just like my old 265. Then I tried a X700 series and thought I was in heaven. Very comfortable. Now of course I am looking at finding a x700 series. Did I say Very comfortable!!

Just tried a 2305 with the middle range tire and it seemed like a rough ride! Is it just me or is it alot rougher ride than a 700 series and a HDAP tire?

Why isn't bigger and heavier translate into more comfort?:Tractor2: :Tractor2: :dogrun: :dogrun:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Your correct. The things I've found on the 2305 that makes a difference in the ride is the cheap seat suspension and not having the HDAP tires. The old X400/X500 & today X700 series with the HDAP tires and their ergonomics is the best I've ever had the pleasure to operate. You would really fall head over heels if you tried the SE seat on the older tractors. slkpk

·
Registered
397 Posts
You would really fall head over heels if you tried the SE seat on the older tractors. slkpk
Is the seat the difference between the X720 and X720 SE models? I am assuming from your post that the SE seats can also be retrofitted to the older tractors? How many models can the SE seat be retrofitted to? :thanku:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My x520 with the HDAP tires rides really nice. I adjusted the seat springs to a softer position and that smoothed things out some too. No matter how nice your seat is, a stiffer tire is going to give a more hrash ride as opposed to a "balloon" type tire that can flex some.

·
Super Moderator
16,375 Posts
bwfbarto At least to the X465 dont know about anything older than that. Maybe the 425 thru 455. But anything can be modified to fit. I bet you could mofdifi it to fit your 318

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A dealer just offered me $9,000k for a 2008 with 70 hours HDAP and 7 iron deck delived. Is that about the best I am going to do?

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
Was this offer for a 2305 or a X700? For a 2305 that seems like a pretty good deal. Since it's a used 2008 with only 70 hours, is the remainder of the factory warranty transferring to you?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Is the seat the difference between the X720 and X720 SE models? I am assuming from your post that the SE seats can also be retrofitted to the older tractors? How many models can the SE seat be retrofitted to? :thanku:
Yhe SE will get you. the seat, front brushguard. styled wheels & front fenders is what the SE package was in 2004 when I bought mine. I'm not sure now if it's changed. slkpk

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
70 hrs isn't even broken in, IMO. Not too bad a deal for an X700/ 7 Iron deck, a real good deal for a 2305/7 iron deck. The deck retails for $2200 by itself.

There are several things that distinguish the SE model from the standard model, and I see that slkpk beat me to it. What he said is still correct, that's what I got extra on my X748SE. The fenders are okay, they don't get in the way, are flexible if you get up against something like a chain link fence, etc, when mowing, but can get mud clogged between them and the tires if you get into a messy area, maybe it's just worse with 4WD and the HDAP front tires. The brush guard is very nice, has a release to tip it forward if you need to open the hood, but you must take it loose at the bottom to remove the mowing deck. The styled wheels are good looking, but adding wheel weights requires an adapter kit. The seat is by far the best thing about the SE and is worth the cost (see below)

The "deluxe High-back seat" #BM21490 is a $495 option and also requires "attaching parts" #BM21332 to make it fit, which cost an additional $135. $630 is a lot for a seat, but if you're in it a lot, it's probably worth it for the long haul.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That price was for a X728 with a 7 iron. I tried that extra fancy seat on another tractor and it was kind of nice. I am thinking real hard on this deal. That included tax and delivery. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mowed back to back weeks last summer with a 2305 and an X540... hands down 540 was much better ride not to mention was able to do my yard quicker with the 540 because of all the obstacles. Would love to try a 700 series though.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
The biggest things about the 2305's ride is probably the weight plus 8-ply ag tires. My 748 rides like a cloud, the HDAP's are only 2-ply, little more than thick inner tubes with tread. They have a lot of give, especially with only 10 psi.

When I mow at my Mom's I'm on my older GT235. It rides like a covered wagon compared to the 748, only weighs half as much, and I have 8 ply ag tires on it.

If the $9000 deal is for a X728 with a 7 Iron deck and only 70 hrs, you better snap it up before somebody else does. That's $13,869 for new retail. 4WD and 27 hp. You'll love it. Only thing I hear negative about them is fuel consumption. I can't speak to that, but the diesel just sips.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I got my 748SE my dealer let me try the 748SE and a 2305. Both had turf tires. The 748 was a bit more nimble but the ride was much better than the 2305. The SE does have a suspension seat so that is part of it.

I didn't need a loader or 3PH (my other tractors cover that) and for mowing and blading light snow the 748SE was the better choice.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
None of 'em will ride well with the tire pressures they usually have as delivered. Even my GX rode like a stone just off the truck. It had over 40# in the rear turfs!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Harold, Mine was delivered with 10 in the turfs, as the book states.

I wonder if dealers put more air in to prevent beads from leaking.

I had trouble in the winter with one rear going flat due to beads. My dealer said that 10 PSI makes its easy for that to happen. I just had tubes put in to solve the problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The "deluxe High-back seat" #BM21490 is a $495 option and also requires "attaching parts" #BM21332 to make it fit, which cost an additional $135. $630 is a lot for a seat, but if you're in it a lot, it's probably worth it for the long haul.
Holy Hannah!! :fing20: That is way too rich for my butt meter! Jeez, a couple hundred more and I could buy an nice new sofa for my couch potato activities! I want an SE seat for a couple hundred! :crybaby:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Holy Hannah!! :fing20: That is way too rich for my butt meter! Jeez, a couple hundred more and I could buy an nice new sofa for my couch potato activities! I want an SE seat for a couple hundred! :crybaby:
Call the Michigan seat company. They make the seat for the 748SE. It'll just be black instead of yellow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
There are really only up to three things that will affect the quality of the ride on a tractor. Some have an isolated cab/operators platform. Some have better suspension and weight adjustments for the seat. But more importantly the construction of the tires and the pressures in the tires, as well as the size of the tires make a big difference. On my X744, I keep the pressures low within specs., and it adds to a much better ride and better traction overall. 2 ply turfs too. But if I need to haul mulch or work the Johnny Bucket, I will jack up the fronts to 20 something psi as it tells me to in the owners manual.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts