My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just picked up a 1967 SS12. I'm looking for opinions on what to do, I've got a few issues to deal with.

1. The machine ran when I got it home, I used it for a while and mowed the front lawn. Afterward I decided to rinse off some of the accumulated grime. Afterward, the machine wouldn't start. I didn't have any spark, so I'm thinking that the stator just has water in it. If there's another place that water can easily cause issues, please let me know.

2. The electrical system in general is a mess. I need to search the forum, but does anyone know of a good electrical diagram for these machines?

3. I'm sucking some oil into the cylinder while running. Is it more likely that I have bad rings or a worn valve guide?

4. Being that the machine has been in Minnesota for many years, there is some cancer. Most is on the cutting deck, with bad pitting and a few small holes. The machine itself only has some surface rust.

I'm looking for opinions on what I should do with it. I'd like to restore/rebuild it and use it, but I'd like to know if it's worth doing or not. Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
590 Posts
i say :wwp:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,416 Posts
Yes,I'd say its worth it!..but since I have a '67 and a '68 Suburban 12 too,I'm a bit biased..the spark issue could be many things,as simple as the points getting wet (if it has points,some have solid state ignition) or maybe water got into the ignition switch,or perhaps a wiring problem just happened at the same time you washed it,coincidentally..

The engine might have sticking rings,they could be worn too,or the valves * guides--could be a crankcase breather thats plugged up letting pressure built up in it and blow by the rings too..I'd use it awhile before tearing it down,if it has sat idle for a long time its possible the rings might be stuck and will free up after some run time..adding a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to the oil will help if that is the case..(but it may cause a bit more smoking too,and if you add some to the gas it also will,but will free up sticking rings and valves quicker also)..

Some parts for these tractors are no longer available new,but there is a lot being parted out on E-bay,and I bought 2 parts carcasses without engines to have on hand for spare parts and the ones I needed to restore my two to useable condition..I like them for their simplicity to work on,their rugged chasis and front ends,and classic "real tractor" looks..my 1990's MTD looks like a fiberglass lemon parked next to the Suburbans,no comparison as far as quality of build and ruggedness..

·
Parts Robber
171 Posts
I'd say it depends on how much of the work can do yourself. If you have to pay someone else to do it then sell this one and go buy one already fixed up.

They are a good machine and if you can do much of work yourself and plan on keeping it then go for it. You probably can't fix it up and try to sell it at a quick profit if that's what you're looking to do. They are not a high value tractor but a real good worker.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I picked it up as a work horse to use, not a show pony to sell. It was used regular for the last several years, but wound up getting parked around midsummer last year. It has used a little oil ever since my grandfather got it from a neigbor. I'll post up some pictures tonight when I get home.

I'm more than comfortable tearing into pretty much anything mechanical, I'm one of those people that catches **** for constantly having grease ground into my hands and occasionally having parts in the living room. Hey, it's a pain to dip carbs out in the rain in March. My other toys are Wetbikes, pretty much the same story goes for finding parts (last ones were built in 92, but there are only 4 of that model known to exist, so really 91) so no worries there.

BTW, If anyone has an extra of the small removeable section of the grill laying around, let me know, mine is missing.

I'll be digging into it tonight, thanks for the advice alls.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
As others have said,you have great platform in which to work from.Very tough,not to bad to work on,pretty easy on the eye when restored.Only real road block is parts,I'd suggest you dive into Ebay,CL,or in this fourms "for sale" section.Good luck either way,Pictures are always wanted.And most of all,:MTF_wel2:

·
i love my mowers
16 Posts
i just wanted to say hi and good luck on your project. i am new here also but i can't find anyone who will help me out with my question. So i don't no what to do. good luck

·
2,261 Posts
Welcome to the forum Exto,

TOMMY

·
Registered
891 Posts
We're discussing electrical issues on a Super 12 over here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=88519

Several wiring diagrams are linked-in. They may not be exactly what you have, but they should be close enough to get you a head start. Both my Super 12 and my 10/6 had horrible hack-job electrical "modifications." Thankfully, these machines are pretty simple. Once you understand the original intent, you should be able to sort things out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts