My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much deliberation I pulled the trigger on a X300.

I first went to my Simplicity/Snapper dealer. After talking w/ the salesman, I found out that the shop used to sell John Deere equipment until 2 years ago. Sure enough, when I looked around I saw JD Maintenance kits and some other JD parts in a corner of the store. He must be working down his inventory. At any rate, this was working out GREAT because now I had somebody who had experience with both lines. He'd been selling/working on tractors for 30 years now, and he was VERY knowledgeable - often commenting similar to statements I've read on this forum.

So anyway, this is how it boiled down.

Went to look at the Regent. Found a 18/38 Briggs like I wanted, complete w/ the ELS engine (not the Intek, even though this is probably a Intek w/ improvements). He was very honest and said the Regent is a 8 year tractor if mowing 1+ acres. After that something expensive would go wrong, more then likely the motor. Maybe I'd get 10 out of it. Maybe.

We then went to look at a 08 leftover Broadmoor 20/44. Real nice piece of machinery that. That was on sale b/c it was a leftover, but still at the price I could not go home to the wife and expect to sleep inside. He told me that it was a 15 year tractor, if tenderly cared for and worked light it might go for 20. Light for this tractor was 1 acre, and I'm mowing .5 so surely this was going to last. I wanted it, but the $$$ .... **** THE MONEY.

I was very honest when I told him I was cross shopping Deere equipment. He asked what model and I told him the X300 with dedicated mulcher. He was very frank and said it was a fine machine and he was absolutely a fan of the Kawasaki engine. He actually preferred them over the Vanguard he was selling. He didn't have to say that, as this was killing his sale. I believed him because of that. He was quick to say the Vanguard was a great motor, but he was a Kawa fan. I asked him honestly, if the Regent is a 8 year machine and the Broodmoor is a 15, where does the X300 land? He told me point blank 'Same lifespan as the Broadmoor - there isn't anything wrong w/ that machine some folks just want that simplicity cut if they have a lot of open space to show off the stripping'.

Done - sold right there. My backyard is not viewable from the road - only I have to look at it. I'd rather see the money in my account and be confidant I have a good tractor in the garage.

Went to the Deere dealer and bought the X300 w/ the dedicated mulcher. :trink39:

I won't tell you what the Deere dealer told me as he was only selling Deere equipment - I'm sharing the details from a dealer who lost a sale by being very honest and forthright with his opinions and experience.

Oh, one other thing. I learned the K46 and earlier variant were standard equipment on the LT series JDs. If that's true, I feel a lot better about it. The LTs were good groomers.

:)

Jopopsy

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, congratulations. It's always nice to get a new tractor. Makes one feel like a kid again. But you know the rules. . . . :wwp:
I'll post them once she's delivered. I'm so looking forward to seeing how the mulch deck performs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am one season in with my new 300 and have not looked back. One warning and its sounds goofy.... the oil filter maybe on so tight it will be very hard for you to take off when you do the first change after several hours. Tell the dealer to loosen it.

I did not. Tried 3 or 4 oild filter wrenches. Nothing worked. Ended up with a real mess as the filter crushed while trying to get it off.

Also have then show you how to level the deck. Its an easy process but easier if you see some one do it in front of you rather than the book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts