My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I just bought a 2004 LT 2000 for $50 bucks. I was worried about it as I hadn't seen pics of it and the price was sure low. The owner said the deck was broken and he didn't want to pay a couple hondo to buy a new or used deck.

Motor seems to run fine. The previous owner used it for mowing until the deck broke. It was then used for parades in the neighborhood on July 4......hence the awful red striping on the hood.

From what I can tell after taking the deck off at home, the broken part is the deck mandrel housing. I will order a replacement. Much cheaper then another whole deck.

Anything else I should look at on the deck while I will be in there?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cannon51 for the post and link.

I also found when the trans is in neutral, the mower still moves forward. Not sure what is causing this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I have replaced the mandrel and then found the star on the bottom of each spindle was ground off. So I bought two new spindles and will be putting it together just in time to not need the mower for the rest of the season.

I did find a plow for sale for cheap but it is a 44". Will that fit on the LT2000? I'm not sure of the brand but am looking at it tomorrow. Guy only wants $20 bucks for it.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
BUY IT! I believe the snow plows for the LT2000 series hang off the front of the frame, and can be operated by a lever on the left side. Check the Craftsman fitup guide for teh specific model your machine needs.

That being said, most any snow plow can be made to fit most any tractor. Same reasoning with snow blowers. It just depends on how handy you are and what tools you have at your disposal. But for $20, the metal is worth that much, if it doesn't look like Swiss cheese with rust holes. A mounting bracket is a plus.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i have the same tractor when i got it they sold me a 42 inch which its suppose to have. it has the mount that mounts onto the chassis and has a handle to lift up and down. i got rid of that after a few yeas because it waswearing out and not working properly. i then tied a rope to the plow and brught it to the deck lift lever to raise up and down. last year i found a 44 or 48 inch plow for it not sure what size. i put it on there and there was no difference pushing with it so if yu can get the 44 for 20 id take it ifi was you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I missed this buy, someone beat me to it.

I have bigger problems though. I went to move the tractor the other day after it sat for a week. It idled high then low and bellowed white exhaust.....so much that my neighbor thought my house was on fire.

I shut it down and tried again with the same results. There was also oil coming out the exhaust. I checked the oil and it was overfilled. I think the carb is the issue and sending gas through to the crank case filling it up.

I plan to pull the carb and put in a rebuild kit. I hope that fixes it and it isn't a cracked block or head.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up draining the oil which was mostly gas now. I pulled the OHV cover off and it poured out like water. After getting it out as best I could, I refilled it with fresh oil. I pulled the carb off and cleaned it, then added an in-line fuel shutoff. Motor runs great now. I did drain the fuel again and added fresh just to be sure I got the fuel out.

I replaced two mandrels on the deck due to one being cracked and both star ends were flattened where the blade attaches.

I am still having trouble with the hydro slowly moving forward while in neutral. Otherwise, forward/reverse works fine. Is there something to adjust to make neutral be neutral?

·
Premium Member
9,907 Posts
Great job getting it going!

Yes, I have seen some threads here about adjusting the neutral setting. Check the owners manual (you can get one online for free at managemylife.com), and do a search here.

Hope this helps.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts