My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR FREE! Right across from my work, guy just put it out and told me if I haul it, it's mine. My first free score! Hope to go through it this week and try and get it running. I have been driving by it for half a year looking at it parked in a barn wondering if I should stop by. Well, this morning was my morning for sure. Saw it sitting on the side of the road with 3 gas cans on top and no sign. I figured, who does this? Figured he wanted to get rid of it so I stopped by and talked to him and he said first person to haul it away. I asked if I could roll it back in the barn so that I could go get my trailer. He said sure, the rest is history. I'm feeling the high right now and having trouble concentrating at work. Enjoy the pictures.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Nice score!

Keep us updated.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Good score. Free is great. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Hey that's mine, I left it in his barn, He said I could keep it there. Boy you can't trust nobody anymore...:Disgus:

Right place at the right time.....:fing32:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,261 Posts
Suuwwweeeett!!! Those are the ones ya live for, and die remembering! It pays to keep your eyes peeled, congrats.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
NICE1,,and FREE,I HATE YOU!..(just kidding,I'm jealous because I had to BUY all 4 of mine!)..hood and grille looks like the 1967 SS12 I just got last week ,mine is that light metallic blue though..

If I were you,and had a job,I'd be going home "sick" early,so I could go play with my new tractor!...I hear ya on not being able to concentrate--one day I got a lead on a free JD 110,and I almost faked being sick so I could go get it,dreading that someone else would scoff it before I could get there--but a guy I knew who knew the person giving it away called him,and told him to hold it for me till I got out of work,and he did..I burnt rubber all the way there at 5 pm!..

I bet your going to LOVE that tractor once you get it going,let us know how your progress goes on it!..looks very unmolested and that is always nice!..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Awesome score, and I love it!

·
2,261 Posts
Nice,Body looks to be in nice and staight,nothing beats free.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,834 Posts
Looks GREAT, especially for a cuebside freebie. I hope the motor runs and has no "fatal" injuries. The tractor itself shows minimal rust and really nice straight dent free sheet metal, especially the grill and hood. Nice freebie!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks GREAT, especially for a cuebside freebie. I hope the motor runs and has no "fatal" injuries. The tractor itself shows minimal rust and really nice straight dent free sheet metal, especially the grill and hood. Nice freebie!!
So far, at lunch, I went out and turned it over by hand. Had compression and I didn't hear any clunky or grinding noises. Any other advise on these tractors would be appreciated as I am a regular Bolens Nut.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I'm willing to bet it needs only a carb cleaning and old gas washed out of the tank at most..those old cast iron Tecumseh's were pretty rugged...improper storage is what "kills" most old Suburbans,but they are usually pretty easy to get going again..

Those HH120's had timken roller crank bearings,a stellite exhaust valve,heavy duty connecting rod,and an 1-1/8" O.D. crank PTO,according to stickers on both of mine..as rugged an engine as Tecumseh ever made,close to a Kohler or Wisconsin in durability,if not better,IMO..

It's funny you mention the tires being original--all four of my Suburbans and both Compacts all have their original tires,excepting one front one on one Compact,that was dry rotted and I ripped it while trying to break the bead loose to put in a tube!..
I also got a spare set of rears with the I just got a '67 SS-12,the rims were rotted,but the tires are in excellent shape,considering they are 42 years old!..some say "Sears",and some are "Carlisle" brand,that also have the "Sears" logo on them..they must have had a good batch of rubber back in '67!..
Look at the thickness of the chassis on these tractors,then you'll see why I like them..enough steel there to build two or three "new" tractors!..as thick as aBobcat or other heavy equipment has,and a front axle that can handle some real weight..
I'd say the only weak points Suburbans have are possibly the steering gears,(if used with a loader mostly,otherwise they rarely fail,lack of power steering is a bummer though),and some dont like belt drive,but with its low gearing its not an issue really..otherwise they are built like tanks,IMO...they are also very manuverable for the size of the tractor,they turn on a dime..and can pull anything you hook them too,if you can get traction!..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts