My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign up. I went to the dealer today and ordered a new X520. I was planning on getting the X500 but once I added the HDAP tires to the rear it was only 300 more for the X520. So i figured it was worth it to have the liquid cooling for that price.

I was going to have the dealer swap out the 54 inch deck for the 48 incher but now I'm questioning that decision. Any input on deck size? My yard is kind of lumpy but fairly open if that makes any difference.

Chris

·
Banned
330 Posts
Well,my number uno first question is...what did you pay for it??

Number two,I got a bumpy rough yard too,got a 50 inch deck on mine no scalping.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
The 54 is a great deck and the bigger the deck the easier it is to do the trimming with. slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
cable,

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: Congrats on your purchase! :thThumbsU As for the deck size, my advice is to purchase the widest deck available that you can fit within your landscape. As long as it is properly set up (there should be no problem here), you will realize the best combo of overlap and reduction of uncut circle. Post some pics when she comes in! :)

·
Banned
330 Posts
I'd bet 10 bucks we won't hear what he paid for it.

I mean,if you get on an internet talk lawnmower type site,and say without being requested to by anybody,that you just bought one of the top of the line deere lawnmowers,think a justified question is,what did you pay for it.

I f you don't want to share this,than....

·
In the Mud!
116 Posts
:Welcome1: & :wwp:
That 54" deck is great but do take into considerations your tight places, I have a few but still like the deck. If you have pine trees with low limbs, you may want to get the brush guard, save ya some scratched up head lights. :crybaby:
Do double check the deck setup as my dealer told me it was all set up and ready to run. Yea right, the cut looked like crap. :eck13: Front tires had at least 25-30 lb's of air and the backs over 20! I couldn't tell for sure how much over as my gauge only went to 16lb's, and I sure let a lot of air out of them. Then a hole lot of reajustment was made. In deck leaveling the book starts you with "CHECK THE AIR PRESSER IN THE TIRES"!!!
Check the tranny fluid too as my is down to the add mark and the same mechanic said that after running it for awhile all the air gets flushed out and that's where it settles to. Said to leave until after I do my first tranny oil change to top it off, as the JD Manufacture HyGard oil is different from the dealers HyGard oil. Anybody else got an opinion on this please speak to me!
Don't get me wrong as I do love my machine JD X540, and after some fine tuning here and there, it’s working for me.
All for $7,600, I got the 54” deck, HDAP tires, brush guard and a 48” front blade without the adjusting crank, maybe getting one of them too. I picked up some chains for $61 on line. I’m looking for a good deal on 4 suitcase weights. Anybody??? I hear a lot of guys on here got them cheaper but I'm on the west coast and shipping may have run a little more. Don't know.

:)

·
In the Mud!
116 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Yes you did,and I missed it buried down in the fine print!

hope you have many many years of trouble free operation! your buddie,greenmule.:drunkie:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Another thing to consider with a larger 54" deck is where are you going to park it. We have a 2 1/2 car garage and mine sits in the 1/2 car space in the garage. My 48" deck is fine as far as how far it sticks out in the walk space between the tractor and our SUV. I think if I had a 54" deck it would protrude too far into the walkway. If I ever get a X585 with a larger deck, I will have to build a shed to store it. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just called the dealer and the X520 has arrived! They just need to set it up and I should have it tomorrow. I guess I should give it a coat of wax before tackling my lawn that has not been cut in three weeks.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
623 Posts
Congratulations on the x520. :trink40:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Just called the dealer and the X520 has arrived! They just need to set it up and I should have it tomorrow. I guess I should give it a coat of wax before tackling my lawn that has not been cut in three weeks.
:trink40: and congrats on your new tractor. Wax it before you use it as it will be much easier. slkpk

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Good day all. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to sign up. I went to the dealer today and ordered a new X520. I was planning on getting the X500 but once I added the HDAP tires to the rear it was only 300 more for the X520. So i figured it was worth it to have the liquid cooling for that price.
I was going to have the dealer swap out the 54 inch deck for the 48 incher but now I'm questioning that decision. Any input on deck size? My yard is kind of lumpy but fairly open if that makes any difference.
Chris
Hi cablebandit , :Welcome1:

Congratulations on the new Tractor , you will really like those HDAP tires and
the liquid cooled Kawasaki will be quieter for your ears ...

Go with the 54" deck IMO ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
921 Posts
I can't wait to upgrade to one of these bad boys! Probably going to be along time since I just bought a used X300 a couple months ago. My plan is to sell the X300 in a couple of years if I can find nice used X500 series. X300 is great for what it's meant for and it fit my budget but hopefully in a few years my budget will be bigger.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Nice tractor and you will not regret going to the LC engine. You will have fun plowing this winter. You are right to get some weight on the back. It makes a big difference.

Cheers
Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts