My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after doing some thinking for a week and a half, I went ahead and got myself a 1989 332 with a bit over 1700 hours on it that comes with a 50" mower deck, 3 pt hitch and scoop tote, and a single stage snowblower. It's the same one I had mentioned in my previous thread, but pulled the trigger after seeing it today. There is some surface rust on it, some shimming that'll need to be done to the motor mounts, and a some fuel seepage from the middle fuel rail connection at the top of the pump that is probably an old o-ring (and a cracked seat and no emblem). Other than that everything looks good and runs good. The guy I bought it from will be delivering it the attachments on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to changing all the filters and fluids and getting her ready to go for the summer (if it ever comes.)

I have the operator's manual for it, but is there any service or technical manuals available for the 332s online? I'm also assuming that the same Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 oil that I put in my Jetta TDI will work fine for the tractor? Are there any other filters besides the main 3 listed in the operating maunual that I need to know about?

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Congrats on the 332!

Sorry manuals are either from the your dealer or on eBay. I cannot remember the numbers for them right now... TM1591 sticks in my head but I am not sure if that is right.

I am looking forward to pictures!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
I have the operator's manual for it, but is there any service or technical manuals available for the 332s online? I'm also assuming that the same Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 oil that I put in my Jetta TDI will work fine for the tractor? Are there any other filters besides the main 3 listed in the operating maunual that I need to know about?
About the oil, you should use 15w40, the engine in the 332 was design differently that your Jetta. :)

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Congrats :fing32: Now post some pics. Fuel, oil and trans filters are all it has. Like stladrill says I'd run 15W40 in it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Congrats,

I kept checking on it and wondering if you were gonna get it.
I think because the guy only used "JD 332" and didn't have the words "John Deere" anywhere in his add - very few people saw it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up on the oil. Taking second look at the manual. I do see that 15w40 works for the largest range.

Congrats,

I kept checking on it and wondering if you were gonna get it.
I think because the guy only used "JD 332" and didn't have the words "John Deere" anywhere in his add - very few people saw it.
I was suspecting that as well. I think that was also why I was able to get him to com down a bunch too.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the 332! I scored one last summer and love it.

Sorry manuals are either from the your dealer or on eBay. I cannot remember the numbers for them right now... TM1591 sticks in my head but I am not sure if that is
Yes TM1591 is the technical manual.

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Well after doing some thinking for a week and a half, I went ahead and got myself a 1989 332 with a bit over 1700 hours on it that comes with a 50" mower deck, 3 pt hitch and scoop tote, and a single stage snowblower. It's the same one I had mentioned in my previous thread, but pulled the trigger after seeing it today. There is some surface rust on it, some shimming that'll need to be done to the motor mounts, and a some fuel seepage from the middle fuel rail connection at the top of the pump that is probably an old o-ring (and a cracked seat and no emblem). Other than that everything looks good and runs good. The guy I bought it from will be delivering it the attachments on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to changing all the filters and fluids and getting her ready to go for the summer (if it ever comes.)

Sent You a PM with some Help on your Manual question :thThumbsU

·
Registered
75 Posts
Phloyd04, congratulations on your 332 acquisition, I'm amazed someone didn't jump on it sooner, their loss your gain!... Good luck with it.

Bert

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
Congratulations, have fun with it. Hopefully you get it fixed up and ready to mow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally have her in my own garage, and have started to make my parts list for the trip to the parts store. I already took the snow blower and scoop tote off, and hopefully have jinxed up some more snow in the process. Now that I can go over it in better detail, I have found that aside from the surface rust on the sheet metal, I haven't seen any other rust and the frame looks really clean. There are some fuel lines and or rings that need to be replaced, but overall I'm stoked. And also some pics.

My one worry now is that the fan belt is pretty cracked up, and from what I've read changing it is a PITA job. I do foresee some bloody knuckles in my future with that one, and I'm half tempted to have the local JD dealer do it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
looks like the machine is all there. The rust on these scares a lot of people away. Not me, because the tins are the easiest thing to replace and or weld. I see you mentioned RINGS do you mean piston rings? My *72UJ3 runs perfect, but if it goes, I will outsource it to a rebuilder called Pro Mar in NJ. I can't say enough positive about these guys. I would buy the belt over EBAY and hang it on a hook in my garage for the day the old one breaks. For the rust, I found a Sandblaster that did all my tin, including the deck for $250. He did a nice job. Deck gauge is 10 while the step and seat pans are 16

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Belt does stink to replace. I don't know about going with an ebay belt. The one on there is going old enough to replace with the same. I am pretty sure the belt on my 87 332 with 2400 hours was the original one. The owner I bought it from included the new belt in a very faded belt covering (that little bit of card board that tells the info on the belt). There were basically just threads left on the belt installed.

Either way I have changed both my 332's belts. At the same time I sent the radiators in for clean/pressure check since the cooling systems are boarder line undersized. So if they are dirty it can over heat. The lower radiator hose and the side panel bolt(for the pedistal) is the hardest things to get off. Put some caps in the front Hyd ports if they are still good yet so they don't rust away. Are you going to any plow day events? Little Falls MN has one/show May 4th/5th that I will be there with my 332 and brinley plow. Brother will likely have his 330 with JD plow. Welcome to the 332 club.

FYI I run 15 40 oil in mine but since I run in winter will be changing that to 0-40 synthetic JD oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hydro port caps are on the list as well as a radiator flush. I'll do the full clean later if needed. I won't make it to that pull day for sure due to work, and anything later idk. I'd need to get a trailer first.

Judging by the weather forecast, I did jinx myself with the snow blower removal.:banghead:

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Is there a way to replace the fan belt without removing the radiator and drive shaft? I cannot see one but I am an optimist. Does anyone have a link to the procedure? thanks

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Congrats on the 332! I scored one last summer and love it.

Yes TM1591 is the technical manual.
My tech manual for the 318,322,332, and 420 is TM 1277.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
My tech manual for the 318,322,332, and 420 is TM 1277.
TM1277 was used until 1995 (I think). Then they separated out the 318,316, and 420 from the 332, 322,and 430. I have a copy of TM1277 and TM1590 (318) and both are very helpful. TM1590 is a little more detailed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts