My Tractor Forum banner

just joined

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  souNdguy 
#1 ·
Howdy.. I just joined. :Welcome:

Why not have everybody post what forum specif tractors we have.

For example. i just finished restoring a 1949 Allis Chalmers G.
(boy.. tires are $pendy on that thing.. :eek: )

Soundguy

#7 ·
more

And here's a shot of 'her' at a show in starke florida last weekend.

She's still got the oem 6v electrical system, and it works good.

I had a hard time finding the 4x12 front tires so went with 5x12.. even they were $pendy enough.

Unit had no sheet metal on it.. and that was the bulk of the repair cost. I got a repro hood, and a rear cowl from a slavage yard by mail order. The fenders and battery box/lid came from a farm/salvage yard in CA. Battery box was rusted out on the bottom. Took about 2 hours of grinder and welding to get it back into shape. I finally found a good use for a 110v stick welder and 1/16 rods!

Engine had a studebaker belt on it! It was old and ratty.. What came to more of a surprise was that a local carquest store was able to cross the number from the studebaker belt to a moder 'in stock' one. Boy was I happy.

Unit had one foot 'rest' that some previous owner made. i liked the design, and made a cardboard pattern and made an identical one for the other side. Again.. on that 3/16 plate.. a 110v stick welder and a 5/64 rod worked well.

Those fender I got were 'shortened' at some point, so I took a file and grinder to them and made their contours match. Won't pass as oem.. but looks ok.

I made the starter and choke pull rods ( they go thru the fenders) out of 1/8 rod stock from TSC.. I bent the finger looks around a large 1.25" pin and then tack welded them. One fender had a wallowed out hole where the rod goes thru so I tacked a small washer over it and smothed the edges.. looks good. works better than it looks.

Front steering box was clean and tight.. just needed lube, as wellas the front spindle bushings and front wheel bearings.

I was happy to see that the unit had the oem hydro pump and belt pulley on it. A nice addition.

I made some stand-offs to move the rear cowling out about a half inch to make extra clearance for a custom exhaust 'stack'. I like the look of it better than the pancake muffler.

It came with a woods belly mower that is ugly and rusty.. but actually works. All bearings and spindles are tight and spin freely, blade and carrier is good. It just needs lots of TLC and some weld repairs. I'll take that as a project this summer.

Also.. the paint is from TSC BPS paint, painted using a 14.99 chinese gun a 19.99 air filter and a 89$ chinese air compressor and an old 15$ air tank plumbed in for extra air storage! Not bad I'd say.

Soundguy

#8 ·
Hello souNguy,

Glad to have you here on the mytractorforum. I read many of your post on some of the other sites. If I'm not mistaken, the captial N in you screen name is there because of the 8n Ford you restored. Great job on it as well as the Allis Chalmers. You, if my memory serves me correctly, purchased a B John Deere. You don’t seem to mention it anymore. Are you still working on it?

Not sure what you are trying to get at with listing our forum specific tractors. There are forums for all sorts of tractors on this site. Doesn’t going to the forum for specific tractor and posting a question take care of what you are talking about?

You will find the folks here are not nearly as finicky about what you post or where you post as some of the other sites. If you happen to post something in the wrong place, a moderator will move it to the proper place and won’t even fuss at you. Pictures are not only welcomed but openly solicited.

As far as forum specific tractors, here is my list.
5300 John Deere
B John Deere - it is a 51 - the transmission is out - needs rebuilding
3000 Ford Diesel

#11 ·
john-in-ga said:
Hello souNguy,

Glad to have you here on the mytractorforum. I read many of your post on some of the other sites. If I'm not mistaken, the captial N in you screen

Yep.. the N is for my 8n.. though I've added a 2n, NAA, and 660 as well to round out the ford collection.

The jd B is fine. it's a 1950, and put up for the winter right now.

What i meant by the tractor specific posts, since this is still a small group, if people all posted what tractors they had, in that forum.. we might get to know each other better.. based on our specific tractor interests.. etc.

Soundguy

#13 ·
I'd love to have one of the old AC G's. I have pic or two that are still hosted from "the old days". Here's an FFA HSchooler's restoration that I saw at the MO State Fair, last summer. Pic is in the middle somewhere. Double click to enlarge. http://homepage.mac.com/userosx/PhotoAlbum22.html

#15 ·
OBTW, souNdguy, welcome aboard and GREAT job on the AC G! :Welcome: :tee: :congrats:

#21 ·
massive 10 hp

Ken N Tx said:
Here is another picture of a G..I have always been interested in the G, but they are far and few down here! I understand that they are only 10HP..
Yep.. 10 hp. Same block internals as a massey harris pony.. except the bellhousing on the MHP is different.

What makes the Allis G 'beter' at some duties than the slightly more hp IH cub is the tranny. The G has a special 'low' gear.. it can get to about 3/4 mph at mid throttle. whereas the cub, even in first gear.. kick along at a pretty decent pace.

Soundguy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.