My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am new here. I got one un-running Lawnboy mower(Model: L21ZPNA) other day.The pull rope recoil need to be replaced. And also need a tune up.

It is new to me and I got questions here:

1: Where to buy a recoil? and how much it will cost?
2: How to change the engine oil? I did not find the drain plug so for.

I just get time to work on it this weekend. Since it is 20 years old and if I could not find parts in a reasonable price, I might gave up. But the mower is in good shape except the recoil. The former owner told me that , if you start the mower and stop it, it need to wain at least 20 minutes to start it again.

Any idea?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Welcome to MTF. You can not change the oil on these engines. It is a 2 cycle engine meaning you run the gas and oil as a mix. What is wrong with the recoil. You might be able to fix it

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to MTF. You can not change the oil on these engines. It is a 2 cycle engine meaning you run the gas and oil as a mix. What is wrong with the recoil. You might be able to fix it
Thanks for quick reply.

The recoil can not take the rope back enough and let you pull the rope again. I take the recoil out today and found the spring in the round matal box is not good enough. All of other plastic part is good. I made mistake and open the round metal box that cause all of the spring out the box and I can not put it back any more :-(.

About the engine oil, You mean I can put oil and gas all in the tank in the top ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You need to use 2-cycle engine oil. Any brand of Outboard motor oil will do, but better quality oil ensures a longer lasting, cleaner running engine.

For your engine, you mix 8 ounces of 2-cycle oil with 2 gallons of gasoline...A 32:1 gas/oil ratio which is specified by the manufacturer. Mix it together in a seperate can before filling the tank!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
About the engine oil, You mean I can put oil and gas all in the tank in the top ?
Thanks.
If you have put gasoline in the tank already. DRAIN IT OUT. Since you didn't know it's a 2 stroke engine, you most likely put straight gas in it and you are about to ruin the engine if you get it started. Drain the gas out of the carb also. This engine gets ALL of its lubrication from oil mixed in the gas. Mix gas at 32:1 with oil that's made for 2 stroke engines. That's 1 ounce oil per quart of gas. Good luck and keep asking questions. Post some pictures also. :Welcome1:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are some pics:

And the mistake I made( spring is out the metal container :-<):duh: :duh:

ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO FIX IT?

THANKS.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Go into the "useful links" thread that's stickied at the top of this page. In there is a free download for a service manual in .pdf format. It will walk you thru how to rewind the spring. They seem a bit intimidating at first, but once you do a couple, they're pretty easy.

Your machine has the "F" engine, in case you needed to know that to download the right manual.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
I had that same exact Lawn Boy as my first one back in 1993. I honestly hated it, but it was a good first mower to tinker with, lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go into the "useful links" thread that's stickied at the top of this page. In there is a free download for a service manual in .pdf format. It will walk you thru how to rewind the spring. They seem a bit intimidating at first, but once you do a couple, they're pretty easy.

Your machine has the "F" engine, in case you needed to know that to download the right manual.
Thanks very much for your information.
Following the instruction, I successfully rewound the recoil spring. :bannana: :bannana:
But I feel the spring is "loose" and need to be replaced later.

Any way, I will clean the air fillter and the oil&gas stuff and see if I can start it.

·
Lawn Boy
1,556 Posts
Lawnboy89, you're getting a lot of good advice here. Please keep asking many questions and we'll do the best we can to help you get this little green boy back together.

What they say about mixing the gas and oil properly is very important though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This 2 cycle green wizard is totally new to me. I keep learning . I need to buy new spark plug , air filter and air filter cover(it broken a little bite).The old air filter is in bad shape and I may need a new one. But I do not know where to buy one.

In case I forget some thing, I wrote down some specifics I just learned as below:

oil/gas Mix ration: 32:1(4 oz/gal) OR 1 oz/quarter.
(1 gallon=128 fl oz. 1 gallon=4 quarter. So, 1 quarter=32 FLoz.)
Engine oil type: lawn boy Gen 2/NMMA-TCW3(where to buy? and how many I need?)
Spart plug: Champion RJ12C(where to buy?)
Spark plug gap: 0,035"/.9mm

Ignition coil AirGap: .010"/.25mm(what means this? where and how to adjust/check it?)

Enigen speed: 2900+-300RPM ( it is 4 HP?)

As I said, it is totally new to me and forgive me for my silly questions.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Lawnboy89, any local car parts place like Napa, Autozone or even some hardware stores will have that sparkplug for you. For the oil, you don't necessarily need to use lawnboy oil, while your at the auto store or hardware store, look for any good brand of 2 cycle oil that says it can be used for TC-W3 engines. Any oil brand like Valvoline, Quaker state or Pennzoil are fine. If you want you can buy a quart, or a pint of oil for mixing the gas. You could buy a pint of two different oils to see which one you like. If you don't have one already, you can pickup a cheap ordinary measuring glass like you would use in cooking. A glass or plastic one that measures in ounces would be Ideal. Just fill the little cup up to the 4 ounce mark, and dump that into your gallon of gas in a gas can, or 8 ounces of oil into 2 gallons of gas. After all that just shake the gas can up a little bit to mix the gas/oil and your good to go! If you have any questions just post them here.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today, I installed the recoil and it work fine.
I cleaned the spark plug and tried to start it with no luck.

I checked the fuel tank and it little bit dirty inside and I dunped all of old gas and filled a lillte new gas(without oil) and primed several time and pulled the recoil, nothing.

What is the next step?:hide:

By the way, I took the spark plug out and pulled the recoil and there is spark there.

Appreciate all of your help.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Put a socket adapter in your drill and let the drill turn the engine untill it starts... (hook the drill to the flywheel nut)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I dunped all of old gas and filled a lillte new gas(without oil) and primed several time and pulled the recoil, nothing.

What is the next step...
After all that has been said here, WHY would you put gas in it "without oil"????

The next step is......DRAIN THE STRAIGHT GAS. Mix up some 2 stroke gas and quit trying to ruin that mower. Try putting a little 2 stroke mix straight into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. See if it will fire then.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the engine in this 89 L21ZPNA is F. Ther are many F(F100,200, 300).
Which one this engine belong to? I might need to clean the carb and need to know the correct type for it.

IF I take part the carb, do I need go aheard to order the gasket or other part ? IS the gasket re-useable?

Thanks.

·
2- Stroke Lawnboy Fan!!!
559 Posts
Yes, the gasket can be re-usable unless if its cracked really bad. Your talking about the carbeurator gasket, right?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the gasket can be re-usable unless if its cracked really bad. Your talking about the carbeurator gasket, right?
I mean the gasket between the carb and engine.

By the way, how to take apart the hose and primer button? I tried many time and just can not take the hose apart from the primer. I am afraid broken it.

Any idea?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where to order the bottom oil seal for a 89 L21ZPNA?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts