My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother picked me up a 318 with 1400 hours on it, he bought it at an auction. I would like to at least swap the twin stick over to my 316 and maybe the power steering as well.

My question is, how do I know the unit with valves (don't know the name) is good? And if it is bad will it make my tranny slip?

I will post pics tomorrow of the 318 and see if it has spark. If it runs at least I could test the thing out. I have no idea how these tractors work but I assume the pump is the thing with the valves and it also runs the tranny?

It's late and I'm probably not making any sence.....I'll post more about this tomorrow.

·
Three of my friends
9,228 Posts
If it is in decent shape I would not take parts off it to put on the 316,I have both and I really prefer the 318 because of the full time power steering.I really like my 316 but the 318 just works better.1400 hrs is a lot of hours but if it has been serviced good all you might need is to put in new rings,these bore's in the Onans are really hard and the rings wear and the block will still be within tolorance to just re-ring.If the Hyd control is move's chances are they are good,if they seem stuck, very gently try to move them and if they move at all that is good,on my 318 I had to di-assemble it and clean it ,did not need seals,cleaning was all it needed.The power steering does run off the same pump as the tranny.Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
:wwp: of course. The control valve should be good there isn't much to them unless the seals are shot and it leaks or looses pressure. Power steering is a real PITA to swap over if I recall correctly. You'd be better off swapping the engine from your 316 if the 318 engine is no good. The H2 components are not hard to swap over.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, but I will not be donating any 316 parts to this 318. My 316 has huge sentimental value to me and I do feel funny even adding upgrades to it. Here is my thread on my 316 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=123289

I ran out this morning and snapped a shot of the 318 still in the back of a old Toyota mini truck. I wasn't sure that was even possible...lol

Any idea on year? MOO318X318775

It is in real bad shape, One spark plug is missing, the controls are mostly missing there knobs, the steering wheel just spins free like it's not hooked up to anything. I noticed this tractor has a fuel petcock mounted right behind the hydro levers, is that a standard thing for 318s? It also has a hydro cooler which the 316 does not have. Is the flywheel the same from the 316 to the 318? I was just wondering if the 318 flywheel makes more air for cooling?

Thats enough questions for now :trink40:

Our plans are to see if it has spark and if it does then try to get it to run. And if it does run my brother wants it to pull little Toyota trucks around his junk yard. Either way he said I can have the H2 off of it, but if it runs then I need to put my H1 back onto the 318.

·
Three of my friends
9,228 Posts
Wow looks TIRED,the steering wheel WILL turn freely,it looses it's prime after sitting,it will be just fine if it starts,fuel pitcock is std,oil cooler is std,if they are both b43 's the flywheel will be the same,same amount of air coming from the flywheel.One of my 318's actually looked worse.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow looks TIRED,the steering wheel WILL turn freely,it looses it's prime after sitting,it will be just fine if it starts,fuel pitcock is std,oil cooler is std,if they are both b43 's the flywheel will be the same,same amount of air coming from the flywheel.One of my 318's actually looked worse.
My brother said it was leaking hydro fluid, so what you said about it losing it's prime makes sense as far as the steering. My 316 that dad bought new in late 87 or early 88 came with the Onan P218 and I'd bet this 318 has the B43 Onan.

If I choose not to swap the power steering over am I right in thinking all I have to do is plug where the power steering hoses go into the control pump thing?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
My brother said it was leaking hydro fluid, so what you said about it losing it's prime makes sense as far as the steering. My 316 that dad bought new in late 87 or early 88 came with the Onan P218 and I'd bet this 318 has the B43 Onan.

If I choose not to swap the power steering over am I right in thinking all I have to do is plug where the power steering hoses go into the control pump thing?
The 318 hydraulic control valve is fed off the power steering valve, so if you did an H2 upgrade without moving the steering valve over, there would be nothing to plug. You should be able to move the H2 valve and the 318's right front lines and fittings over pretty easily.

If you start to part the 318 out, and your hood is in good shape with all for hinges and hood bosses intact, I would be interested.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 318 hydraulic control valve is fed off the power steering valve, so if you did an H2 upgrade without moving the steering valve over, there would be nothing to plug. You should be able to move the H2 valve and the 318's right front lines and fittings over pretty easily.

If you start to part the 318 out, and your hood is in good shape with all for hinges and hood bosses intact, I would be interested.
Yes we are parting it out, the motor has NO compression at all so we stoped right there. I hoped the hood was good as well but the front hood bosses are missing and the hood has a few cracks. We do have 2 of the 4 hood hinge rods.

If any one wants anything off this 318 just PM me and we can work something out.

Thanks

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the 2 hour progress report.

It is the B43G

Here is one thing I learned. This is my 316 front frame rail.

here is the 318 frame rail.....see a difference?

Seems the newer of the old 300 series got a beefy plate welded in to support the attachment points.

And I decided that I'm not swaping the power steering over. Seems to involved and mine works so well with no slop I'd hate to screw it up. So that will up for sale as well.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats the way I see it. One must die to make others live.

·
Three of my friends
9,228 Posts
I never thought that I would see a 318 that was beyond salvaging BUT this is.Too bad.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I think I have figured out what I'm doing now. For some reason I thought I was replacing the piece (pump?) the drive shaft goes to. Now I'm less worried about my tranny/rearend.

The levers were stuck big time, so I soaked them with PB Blaster and got them to move but the inner lever seems to stick when you max it out front and back. Does the inner lever on a 318 have a float mode? It seems like a float setting to me since a light tug and it pops right back to the middle.

And if the inner lever does have a float mode/setting is the inner lever the one that will now raise my deck and blade?

·
Super Moderator
36,472 Posts
The inner lever has a float mode. My deck is on the outer lever and when I have the blade on the outer lever handles the angle. I highly recommend you put a valve on your rear hydraulic cylinder to shut it off so you don't have to wait for the rear cylinder to cycle before your angle works! Your title threw me off there Swigin! You've had your 318 for a while now!

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the run down PA318GUY, I have had this 318 for under 24 hours so far...lol

I've had my 316 for a while now, and soon it will have some 318 in her.

Here are two pics of what I took off the 318. Before I have my brother take the rest of it away, is this all I need to take off to have H2 on my 316?

This is just a close up of the valve body

·
Super Moderator
36,472 Posts
You may need to put some flexible lines on your 316 to complete the transformation. I beleve that the frames are different and the 2nd set of lines don't just bolt in. The handles and the control unit are the main pieces!

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds good!

I was worried about the couplers on the front being rusted shut. Turns out two were solid rust inside with no hopes of ever being useful again. The other two once I hit them with PD Blaster to get the sleeve to slide back look shiny new inside. :trink39:

So now I don't even need to buy two new couplers. But I will get some new O rings for inside of them.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts