My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. I feel like I'm pecking among giants. Have followed MTF for some time and finally jumped in. New project coming-1968 Simplicity Sovereign 3012. It has the original engine, great paint, solid everywhere; it just won't run. So how do you replace the little cap at the back of the carb? Thanks for letting me aboard!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
:MTF_wel2:

And,

:wwp:

Sorry, I can't help you with this one, but someone will come along.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
:Welcome1:
i have the same issue with my 7116. but since it runs flawlessly i havent been worried about replacing it.
the only thing it does is leak a bit of fuel when i turn the machine off. but it always reminds me to hit the fuel shut off.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Little cap at the back of the carb, I think you mean the welch plug?
Should look something like this.

The thing is held in by pressure, you put it in like ) and thwack it till it looks like (
I had to put a new one in the briggs that came on my Ford 65, its not bad.

btw, my little Ford 65 shows up on page two of a google image search for "briggs welch plug" (first non-welch-plug result!) thanks to the discussion on this forum =P (which really didn't discuss the welch plug that much, mostly my poor scarred cylinder wall)

Anyways, as cityboy said the welch plug wouldn't prevent the engine from running. You don't really want to run without one though, as a hole in the carb lets in non-filtered air. A good carb rebuild kit comes with one

That's probably your first stop kentucky wildcat. If its spinning free, got spark, and atleast some compression then rebuild the carb and see what you've got.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Its is replaced by putting it concave side up and hitting the center of it with a punch.

You should not run the engine without it as all the air AND DIRT will bypass the air filter and enter through this opening. Somwhere I have a video of the procedure... Or ill make one quick!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome guys. I will get the photos up as soon as i learn how. And yes, I have fried bacon naked, ONCE! There is no educational benefit in the second kick of a mule. And thanks for the Help with the welch plug. If i cant find a rebuild kit for the carb the i'll fashion a cap to seal out the dirt. Updates to come.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys. I will get the photos up as soon as i learn how. And yes, I have fried bacon naked, ONCE! There is no educational benefit in the second kick of a mule. And thanks for the Help with the welch plug. If i cant find a rebuild kit for the carb the i'll fashion a cap to seal out the dirt. Updates to come.

Such is the beginning of Wisdom!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts