My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change oil and filter, what oil? synthetic or regular? what oil filter? where can you get oil filter?

hydro fluid, how hard is this to change? what fluid and filter and where to get them?

sparks plugs I can probably figure out.

I am also planning on greasing all the grease points, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
988 Posts
I use straight 30 weight oil in the engine. Mine doesn't have an engine oil filter and I don't think the 20 does either. The hydro fluid is fairly easy, there is a drain plug on the front of the rear end. A TDH (Transmission Differential Hydraulic) fluid is recommended. Texaco is one brand that makes it. The filter numbers are as follows - Fram PH2844 Wix 51410 (21 micron filtering) Wix 57102 (10 micron filtering). these filters do not have a bypass valve as recommended by Bolens. DO NOT use a filter with a bypass. The Spark plugs are Champion RV15YC. The User manual and service manual is available here - http://sonnys_bolens.tripod.com/manuals/5000.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks. 30 weight is better then 10w30? Etc. If I can find a snowblower I want to use it in the winter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
OK thanks. 30 weight is better then 10w30? Etc. If I can find a snowblower I want to use it in the winter.
If your tractor is left outside in the winter, it should be changed to 10-30. 30 is ok for the summer. I run 30 all year round in mine because it is parked inside a warm garage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can I just run 10w30 all year? or is that not good for it? it will be either kept in my unheated garage or my barn, so it will be cold

·
Registered
988 Posts
10w-30 is ok for all year. I run 30 weight just for a little less oil consumption.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts