My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently moved to Ohio and have decided that it is time to get a snow blower before the winter months. I have been checking craigslist and finally found one which I think was a good deal. Tell me what you think.

It is a Toro Power Shift 624. I think it is a 1987 model but I am not completely sure. I bought it for $250 and it looks to be in amazing shape. Did I get a good deal?

Is there anything I need to do to keep it running smooth? I have already changed the oil. Also, how much life can I expect out of it?

Here are some images of it:
  1. Image 1
  2. Image 2
  3. Image 3
  4. Image 4
  5. Image 5

·
Registered
247 Posts
Enter the model #/serial # on Toro's site and it will give you the exact year it was made; but buy looking at the gas cap you are real close to the age.

It looks to be in Great Condition. I wouldn't have a problem selling that unit at my shop in the winter for $500-$600. I always thought the Powershift was a great idea.

Run it out of gas every winter/summer before you put it away and change the oil and I wouldn't be surprised it you got at least another decade out of her(depending on how much snow you get).

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you kn ow how to get to the Carburetor and know a little about carburetors you could fix it. Take the bowl off and clean the little holes in the bolt that holds the float bowl on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We have one in the family just like it and it runs perfectly after all these years... I would put a new plug in and some Motorkote to help it start easier in the winter, grease the chute's gears and try to get some oil down the operating cables.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a 824 Toro without powershift and the plastic gas tank is red, in my 1986 model - rest looks similar.
(has 3f & 2r speeds opposed or adjacent)

kiger, you stole that 624 - good job / the paint is still shinny like new, for a 1985.

lawnguy - your workhorse Toro, sure can throw snow a decent distance / nice video.

FYI - WHAT IS POWERSHIFT / please chip-in & explain it + what the likes are.

------------------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule" http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838 Intro.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
1986 Toro 824 snowblower 38080 model, Honda HS624 track drive blower, STIHL 2 stroke F5 85 & F5 35 grass trimmer, HONDA CT70 MiniBike,
1987-'89 TORO 20526C push mower 21" Recycler w/Suzuki 4 stroke, 1980 LawnBoy 21" model #7260G w/D409 engine,
1965 Malibu S/S, 1985 Monte Carlo S/S original paint, 1987 Pontiac GTA original paint L98-TPI, 1966 Beaumont Custom original paint,
1967 Beaumont Custom, 1967 Beaumont Custom original paint, 1967 Beaumont 396-350HP Sport Deluxe M21-411's - SOLD 1970 GTO Judge RAIII

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have to admit I had the wind in my favor in my video. Any good snowblower knows to work with the wind! Also the snow I was blowing was the result of a my Deere Plow. I plowed most of teh driveway and then used the blower to put the snow up and over the banks.

The Powershift - I believe simply transfers the axle of the blower farther back thus putting more weight on the auger and cutting edge to keep from riding up. I have never used one so I can not say if it works well. My neighbor has a 8hp with the powershift and he says the linkage to make the powershift broke and he never bothered to fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
The only thing that would kill that Toro is if the gear transmission goes. Never found anyone who would fix mine. Over time, each lower gear in turn would begin to slip, until it was pretty useless in anything but first gear. Looks like a Tecumseh engine on that one, mine had a Mitsubishi I think, it sipped gas.

If it's working properly that 624 snow blower is a joy to use, much more refined than the Ariens I replaced it with. Then again, the Ariens is an 1128, it's a snarling beast. The Toro was quiet and refined. It throws a beautiful arc of snow.

I think the power shift feature is a gimmick and I never found much use for it.

·
Old Iron 1%er
873 Posts
I have an old Ariens, yup they're angry old beasts. And I love it! Be sure to grease the gears and slides underneath, a lot of guys miss those parts! It's pretty easy-- run unit out of fuel, tip froward onto bucket. Remove belly plate to access 'guts'. Of course, keep lubricants off the friction drive.

My brother has a new Murray (made in China :( Not buying one!) with a Briggs OHV (still American made) engine, and it throws snow further, but that has a nice smooth chute, and it's a taller chute to boot. Sure, both engines are rated at 7hp, but I doubt my Tecumseh HH70 really still cranks out 7hp after all these years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts