My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally pumped! Bought a 316 on auction last night! I need to know about what attachments I can put on it. It has the Onan Twin Cyl. Hydro lift. Are there owners manual downloads? What should I look for other than it runs great and everything works?:greendr: :trink39:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome and congratulations.

For your manuals, order from John Deere - do not make the $100 mistake I did by buying outdated from 3rd party.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Congrats on the buy! I bought my 300 off ebay myself.

As for manuals, if you don't want to wait, then order them from your local dealer. If your not in too big of a hurry, and dont mind fighting over them sometimes, to save some money, you can find them on Ebay pretty cheap. Just have to wait for them to surface sometimes. Took me about 3 or 4 months, and now I have every owner manual and service manual for my tractor and attachments.

Advice before you start on ebay, is to contact your dealer, and have him provide you with the part numbers of the manuals you need, and the price, so you know what one to get, and how much not to spend.

The "parts" books can be down loaded from Deere for free yourself.

We Want Pictures too when you get it!

~F~

·
JD318
990 Posts
Anything that can go on the front of a 318 can go on the 316. You can also get extra aftermarket spool of hydraulics for it. And also...:wwp:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dash has a spot where another pto swith could go. The signage indicates it's for the rear pto. Is there a kit for that? It looks like a three point hitch could go on as well.
I just finished mowing, wow! First cutting 10 inches long in spots and it just barely knew it was cutting grass.:thanku:

I'll post pics tomorrow. ran out of daylight trying to beat the rain.

:trink39:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats: on your 316 and were looking forwartd to the pics and the toys you get for it. slkpk

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Nice lookin tractor! I think the dog (family member) approves of it.:trink40:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Congratulations on the 316. Looks good.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
It looks very nice. Do you plan on restoring it? slkpk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll restore it after I get done with my Dad's 214. That's my summer project. I travel for a livin' so I'll be a while on that one. I just have to get it done by winter so my Dad can blow his 1/4 mile long driveway. I'm looking forward to at least this year and maybe next from this 316 before I break it down. Has any one powder coated the metal body parts of these?

:fing32:

Don't forget it's Mothers Day!

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
That's a good looking mower/tractor I agree! Nice find!

Has any one powder coated the metal body parts of these?
Ya, I have done some parts for mine:

Mower deck:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=74487

Wheels/tires thread (page 2 = pics.)
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=74129

As for the green of my tractor, since the hood is fiberglass, and cannot be powder coated, all the green will be repainted with JD implement paint so it all for sure matches.

~F~

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
That's a good looking mower/tractor I agree! Nice find!

Ya, I have done some parts for mine:

Mower deck:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=74487

Wheels/tires thread (page 2 = pics.)
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=74129

As for the green of my tractor, since the hood is fiberglass, and cannot be powder coated, all the green will be repainted with JD implement paint so it all for sure matches.

~F~
The 318 powdercoats up very nice. I had all the steel coated JD green. Then I had someone match up a pint of paint for the hood, and hydraulics for my loader.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of the guys said all the 318 attachments work on the 316? Then I'll have plenty to mess around with for the next couple years. A couple weeks ago I went to look at a 318 that was for sale for 2700.00. Very nice, then the guy told me he just bought at a local repo auction so, I checked that auction out and found that he paid 1500.00 for it. I went down there that Saturday and found my 316. 1200 bucks was a good buy I thought for a machine that everything worked and it didn't smoke. I want to eventually move up to a 445 in a couple years, My 316 will be worth more than what I paid when I'm done so I'm pretty happy so far.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
On the front, most every attachment made for the 120, 140, 300, 312, 314, 316 (Kohler), 317, 318, 322, 330, 332 will work on your 316 with very little or no modification. That represents something like 24 years worth of stuff. The rear attachments are not quite so plentiful, You have about 10 years of production of attachments, made for models 316 (Onan), 318, 322, 330, 332. Attachments include a front loader, rear back-hoe, 48" wide snow blower, rear tiller, 54" wide hydraulically operated front blade, dethatchers, speaders, wood chippers, log splitter, 3 point rear hitch. The rear PTO I believe is no longer availble from Deere as a new part and it's expensive as a good used part ($400 +/-)

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
For my 300 I have a 54" dual hydraulic blade, and a snow thrower attachments for the front. The rear, just a #33 rear tiller. Under, a 48" deck.

Only thing extra I want for it, is one of those aftermarket front loaders. :praying:

~F~

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I want' but can't afford or even find a Danuser rear post hole drill that was originally made for the back of the 140. Also wouldn't mind finding a hard cab in decent shape.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts