My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this one for under 20 bucks, but it's not working. I drove an hour for a lot of 3 LBs and other mowers but they were all pretty beat up. Some were missing parts so I grabbed this one and an old Craftsman. The owner said the engine is seized up. The deck has a crack too. Well, in worst case scenario I could strip it for parts. Where should I start? Looking for an engine?

Attachments

·
5,207 Posts
Well that is a great buy for that price whether you choose to try to fix it or part it out. If trying to fix it what is your intent with the mower once done? If you are planning to keep it then it may be worth tearing it down to access the damage. How bad is the deck? They can easily be welded as the deck is aluminum, if it is not too bad. Tear the engine down to see why it is seized. The cast iron sleeve on these old Lawnboys is very forgiving and can be cleaned up, aluminum residue removed with Muratic acid if needed, a light hone, and either a good used piston and new rings or all new. Hopefully the rod isnt broken. Let us know what you find. The commercial models are sought after. Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill,

Thanks for replying. I plan to keep it and use it. I just took this one picture today, better pics to follow. Attached is a picture of the crack. It is fairly wide. Should I contact any local welder? Do you think he should able to weld it from underneath so that it won't show ?
I will try disassembling the unit in the next few days. Any particular order or important things to keep in mind? I'm not a mechanic but I learn fast. I wanted to buy a small parts washer, I've seen a few online and they recommend using a water-based cleaning solution but I thought that mineral spirits were used to clean engine parts. What do you recommend? Thanks

Attachments

·
5,207 Posts
Okay first the deck. Fairly decent size crack. I am not a welder but I did have a deck repaired in the past. My guess would be that they are going to weld this on the top and bottom however you can use a Moto Tool or something similar to smooth out the weld before repaint or touch up. Or ask the shop if they can dress up the top weld. I left the inside weld alone and ground down the top weld flush to make it look much better.

I have never had a parts washer. Unless you are doing a ton of work, such as if you had a small engine repair shop, it's probably not worth it. Get an oil drain pan from the auto store, dump in a little kerosene, and use a parts cleaning brush to get the majority of the grime off. I would recommend that if you do even some minimal maintenance that you would be better served with an ultrasonic cleaner. I bought one from Harbor Freight, the bigger of their two, and have used it a number of times. Love it!!!

For larger parts and degreasing I find the parts brush and Dawn work very well. I always clean the exterior of the mower before tearing it apart. Much easier and cleaner.

When disassembling, if you are in unfamiliar territory, take pictures as you go. Makes things much easier when putting it back together. There are tons of videos of how to do things on the Internet. I have used them many times, most recently to see how to remove the carb on an MTD snowthrower. (Unfamiliar territory for a Lawnboy guy).

Good luck and keep us posted. Bill

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would get that crack welded as bill said. It's a self propelled pre-compliance f series commercial. And for the $20 you got it for I'd say it's worth it.

When disassembling take pictures as you go and bag and tag. Put stuff in sandwich bags and write on it where they all go. It'll help keep you from losing parts or having extras once you put it back together.

As for parts washers I have worked in a few different shops and the water based cleaning solution is a joke for heavy grease and grime. If you get one make sure it is ok to use mineral spirits or other solvent. I'd also look at ones that recycle the cleaning solutions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bill and Lawnboyben, thank you for your replies.

I was able to take a few more pictures. It's in bad shape, as you can see. This unit sat outside for a while for sure, a lot of rusted and oxidized parts. I will only be able to work on it after the Thanksgiving week, when I plan to break it all down, clean the engine and carburetor and take lots of pictures to share with you guys for more advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
It isn't in great shape but I've bought worse. Those drive rollers are probably too far gone and the blade collar is all bent up but other than that most of the parts look ok to me (but then again I'm in the rust belt so I'm used to it).

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
Hey Bill,

Thanks for replying. I plan to keep it and use it. I just took this one picture today, better pics to follow. Attached is a picture of the crack. It is fairly wide. Should I contact any local welder? Do you think he should able to weld it from underneath so that it won't show ?
I will try disassembling the unit in the next few days. Any particular order or important things to keep in mind? I'm not a mechanic but I learn fast. I wanted to buy a small parts washer, I've seen a few online and they recommend using a water-based cleaning solution but I thought that mineral spirits were used to clean engine parts. What do you recommend? Thanks
Okay first the deck. Fairly decent size crack. I am not a welder but I did have a deck repaired in the past. My guess would be that they are going to weld this on the top and bottom however you can use a Moto Tool or something similar to smooth out the weld before repaint or touch up. Or ask the shop if they can dress up the top weld. I left the inside weld alone and ground down the top weld flush to make it look much better.

I have never had a parts washer. Unless you are doing a ton of work, such as if you had a small engine repair shop, it's probably not worth it. Get an oil drain pan from the auto store, dump in a little kerosene, and use a parts cleaning brush to get the majority of the grime off. I would recommend that if you do even some minimal maintenance that you would be better served with an ultrasonic cleaner. I bought one from Harbor Freight, the bigger of their two, and have used it a number of times. Love it!!!

For larger parts and degreasing I find the parts brush and Dawn work very well. I always clean the exterior of the mower before tearing it apart. Much easier and cleaner.

When disassembling, if you are in unfamiliar territory, take pictures as you go. Makes things much easier when putting it back together. There are tons of videos of how to do things on the Internet. I have used them many times, most recently to see how to remove the carb on an MTD snowthrower. (Unfamiliar territory for a Lawnboy guy).

Good luck and keep us posted. Bill

I have a parts washer. Its practically useless, unless you are cleaning things like wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts