My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Well I finally bought a machine, it only took me a 12 month to decide talk about slow witted. I bought 23 Hp Vanguard power Conquest with a 50 inch deck.

I started off thinking about a JD X320 then the JD dealer showed me the X540. I wanted that for awhile until the GB Pound started falling like a brick, 17% in the last 12 months. So I looked about for more choice and came across the Simplicity. The problem we have in the UK is a lack of dealers that stock Simplicity, so I had the importer come along an give me a demo. It let the grass get about two foot high plus and when he turned up it was raining. My area is just over one acre, and slopes quite a bit. I thought I had him when he got stuck down the bottom, that was until he engaged the diff lock and promptly reversed out, turned through 90 degrees and came up the hill in the rain, cutting wet grass at the same time. SOLD.

The X540 is $8425 (USD) that in the UK (£5100), and that a pre last JD price increase stock. I think JD just jack prices up 7%. While it has power steering and hydraulic deck lift, the Conquest came in at $6193 (USD), £3750 (GBP) the extra $2232 wasnt worth the money. The Conquest has the air cooled Vanguard at 23 hp, the X540 is what 26 hp and water cooled. The Vanguard is very powerful and just charges through the long grass and up hill at that. Would I have noticed the extra 3 hp, probably not. I have torn muscles in my stomach so any difficulty in using the Conquest without power steering would show up fairly quickly, it hasnt so far.

Im 6 foot 2 and 16 stone, I dont look like a gorilla on a BMX bike when ridding the Conquest, the tractor is comfortable to drive.

The thing I didnt like about the JD stuff was the Made in China, and that bloody did it when I found the Made in China sticker. With the Conquest everything I look at appears made in the USA, I wanted a quality piece of kit and with the Conquest it looks like I got it. As Ive mentioned before much of the stuff sold in the UK is made in serf economies and we are expected to pay top dollar, well bugger that.

The Conquest appears to use about an Imperial gallon per hour, When I cut the long grass up hill its set with the throttle full on, for areas that have already been cut down I am able to run it at half throttle most of the time.
I am not ready for stripping yet as I haven't got the lawn under control yet.

So would I now swap for an X540, er no thanks, the bang for buck with the Conquest is outstanding, Id buy another tomorrow. Simplicity don't market the Prestige in the UK and I wanted a Briggs engine, so the next model would be the Legacy, I want to cut grass, and tow a trailer, to be honest anything else and you need tools for the job, that means a compact tractor and the Legacy is limited by the extras needed and the astounding price of them. The 2 wheel drive Legacy is $14870 (USD) here in the UK.

I have to shrink some images, and Ill post in as soon as I get it done.

DDN

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since I own a Conquest 23 I think you made the correct choice. The price is not that much more than what it would be here. I think you got a great deal.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the site!
Check your manual, I believe it states to mow at full throttle at all times. Engine (fan) speed controls engine AND transaxle cooling. Working the engine at lower speeds reduces its cooling.
I also have a Conquest Vanguard, and it is a tough, working, machine. You'll love yours! I too, mow uphill a lot, since there's little level land around here. I occasionally mow grass that's 18" or so high, no problem. Plenty of power available. I also run a 2-stage snow blower, and it really launches the snow!
Pictures here:
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=75638&highlight=snow

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is what I really need. I have a broadmoore 14 hp with a 38 inch deck and Im running the guts out of it. I have had pretty much zero issues with it given its age but I feel like Im abusing it. That conquest is stought from my research. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
DDN congratulations on the new purchase. Enjoy it and when you get control of the lawn we want:wwp: of the stripping LOL.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats: and enjoy it. Post some pics of it when you can. slkpk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the revs to cut advice, didnt see that bit in my urge to save fuel.

Kevin I see you have an Agri Fab trailer, Ive been thinking of the 600 lbs version.

DDN

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

Pictures I hope.

DDN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts