My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you are purists about restoring your mowers to original. Just to let you know that some items are different during the same production year and can be considered "correct"

Here is the original ID tag from my 1977 6255

And here is the original tag from the 1977 6255 I purchase from a forum member here recently minus the deck.

Both are 1977 serial numbers but one is early production and one late production. It appears they changed vendors or design and used up the old stock first. The earlier ones were a lighter green as well. All were labeled Lincoln Nebraska.

Give credit to Bald Guy for spotting this one!

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
FT, actually you were the one that mentioned color differences. I had seen the lighter ones, but figured it was sun faded.
I took an old one from a cabinet to use as a ''go by'' for Rex, then I saw the difference in the wording.
Ron

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good observation FordTech. I agree the dark green ones were later.
I also have what appears to be a blue tag on my 7021 from Galesburg. There must be a time line with these tags. bald-guy can you shed any more light on this?

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Good observation FordTech. I agree the dark green ones were later.
I also have what appears to be a blue tag on my 7021 from Galesburg. There must be a time line with these tags. bald-guy can you shed any more light on this?
No, I'm afraid I can't.
I didn't pay alot of attention to data plates, and small stuff such as that.
I have seen blue tags tho.
Ron

·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a side by side comparison with an NOS replacement of my original and this recent aquisition so you can compare color depth difference more.

Mike I have seen what appeared to be blue ones in pictures before but hadnt actually had one here. Feel free to post a pic if you would.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Yeah, I had kinda noticed the same thing with these data plates, I just figured that Galesburg had one style and Lincoln had another style. Kinda off the subject, but I will throw it out there, when I cleaned my 7022 data plate I used 409 and I guess that is too strong, because I lost some of the blue paint. I figured that some of these variations in color was due to sunlight, maybe some of the PO's might of stored there machines outside, or maybe they were used commercially and were just out in the sun 8 hours a day. I wish there were some history books out there on Lawnboy, that would be insteresting to me to read about operations at Lamar, Lincoln and Galesburg during there peak times, sorry kinda got off the subject again.
I also want to thank Ron for stamping the data plate for me, that really means alot to me, to have you a former OMC employee, and all around great guy, hand stamp the plate is really the best part of my restore. Now when the neighborhood kids wonder over in my garage and ask about that green lawnmower on display on the wall, I can proudly tell them that, "That mower right there is special, it was hand stamped by one heck of guy who use to build these things years ago".

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Yeah, I had kinda noticed the same thing with these data plates, I just figured that Galesburg had one style and Lincoln had another style. Kinda off the subject, but I will throw it out there, when I cleaned my 7022 data plate I used 409 and I guess that is too strong, because I lost some of the blue paint. I figured that some of these variations in color was due to sunlight, maybe some of the PO's might of stored there machines outside, or maybe they were used commercially and were just out in the sun 8 hours a day. I wish there were some history books out there on Lawnboy, that would be insteresting to me to read about operations at Lamar, Lincoln and Galesburg during there peak times, sorry kinda got off the subject again.
Might be wrong here, but think nothing was at Lincoln but Parts Depot. It moved from Galesburg. Then we moved some mfg. into the old building.
That year would be shortly before we made a snow blower with a D engine that would not start.
As for the history book,, I think we are writing it as we speak.
I still remember seeing blue data plates,,, somewhere,,,Oh, I think they were on the round plates,,, too old here,
Ron

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,068 Posts
Might be wrong here, but think nothing was at Lincoln but Parts Depot. It moved from Galesburg. Then we moved some mfg. into the old building.
That year would be shortly before we made a snow blower with a D engine that would not start.
As for the history book,, I think we are writing it as we speak.
I still remember seeing blue data plates,,, somewhere,,,Oh, I think they were on the round plates,,, too old here,
Ron
LOL maybe we should hire a book writer to follow you around and take notes, compile all the data from these forums and publish a book. I'd buy it!:thThumbsU Gotta go guys, time to go pay the bills, argh!

·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figure if the paint under the rivets is the same color as the rest, then that is likely the original color.

·
LawnBoy mech in training.
113 Posts
I have a blue data plate. I'll get a pic tomorrow - family dinner tonight as my 18 year old is heading off to college this weekend.

·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BIG weekend for your family Two-StrokerAce! May her future endeavors be fruitful and God be with her always!

·
113 Posts
Thanks SO much FT!!! Those are definitely my prayers too.

Regarding the blue plate, the one I intended to take a photo of has disappeared...I cleaned it recently and apparently the cleaner was a little tough on it. But I had another that I snagged recently from a 7022 - not as good a photo, but definitely blue. I am trying to figure a way to build these as blanks, so I have been collecting pics of the different varieties.

TSA ~

Attachments

·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the samples Ace! That would be nice to be able to reproduce them. I could use a couple of the little round ones one day.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is the blue tag on my 7021 made in 1972. There are companies that can reproduce any of these nameplates, the problem is finding one who will do only a few, the tend to like large orders. But i keep looking.

·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that one is in perfect condition for its age Mike! Thanks for sharing. I bet if you can find someone who would do 100 of them we could find a buyer or find buyers here and on Ebay. I just dont think I could do 1000

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, what I have realized during my searches is that I would like to have the older light green and later dark green styles most. That makes two different ones. Throw in the blue and that makes three. Saying that, how many of each would have to be ordered and what would the cost would be,I don't know.

·
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tough questions for sure.
Im betting with computer technology it may be simpler than it used to be though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It is fairly simple, ($$). This has been bugging me for a while and at some point I intend to get some quotes.

·
113 Posts
I have actually got it all figured out - it's just going to cost me about $225-250 to get it done on the front end. If there is enough interest I'll do it.

TSA ~

1 - 20 of 22 Posts