My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some Spring cleaning I loaded up some scrap to take to the local recycling yard:

I pick up gas grills whenever I see them because the grill bodies are cast aluminum and the frames go for light iron. The valves are brass too so I toss those in a bucket and bring the bucket to trade in when it gets full. When I was cutting up the grill frame I realized that part of the frame would make a great handle for my 4200W Craftsman generator. I got it second hand but when I downloaded the manual I saw that you could order a carry handle and wheels for it to make it easier to move around. The space between the two pieces of square tube from the grill almost perfectly matches the width of the generator:

A couple of bolts and nuts and I'll be good to go. I think I'll keep the wood shelf there for now but may weld/bolt some steel in place eventually. The wheels from the grill could work but I want to find something bigger. If I can find some rear wheels off of a high wheel push mower that might work. I'll post some pictures when it's all done. Oh and the best part? The generator was free! It had a badly gummed up carb and desperately needed an air filter when I got it.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Did just that same thing to my Craftsman 3750 genny.
I used a pair of push rotary mower wheels (and bolt axles) thru the 2 holes just under the engine. About 2 inch clearance, more than enough.
The pickup handle is on the 'motor' end, made from the handle of the same push rotary mower.
Sure beats the price that they want at the 'parts' store, and does the same function.

·
Registered
288 Posts
never would have thought to use a barbecue as handle to my generator, going to give it a try. thanks for posting such a great idea,

·
Registered
101 Posts
great use of salvage/repurpose :fing32::fing32:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,842 Posts
Dude, that's awesome! Got me thinking, a little fabbing and you'd have a nice cart for a small Mig welder. I actually have two gas grills in my scrap pile now.............hmmmm. Thanks for sharing!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,689 Posts
I used the base of an old gas grille to hold and haul the 20 lb propane tank and my small O2 tank for my small torches (ones that come in a plastic carry pouch thing),until I upgraded to larger tanks and a "real" cart that looks like a hand truck..they are handy for a lot of things,I've seen guys make rolling tool box carts and shop carts from them too...

·
Registered
716 Posts
great idea, would not have thought about this thanks for posting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts