My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey All

Was dropping off yard waste in the local county recycling center and did my normal trolling by the scrap heap. Spied a Honda sitting next to the pile and took a closer look. Older 215, seemed intact-ah what the heck- in the truck it goes. Get it home and first thing check oil. Wayyyy over full but looks fresh and clear. Dump it out and refill. Compression-check. Flywheel and levers -check. Dump some fresh gas and starts first pull. Not even starter fluid. Idles like a dream but smoking like a factory for about two minutes. Still running like a clock , smoking stops, and i throw it in gear and run it around the side yard, all gears work. Now i'm thinking the blade brake must be shot, this can't be right. Pull the lever and it spins up no squeals or wobble. I cut a few rows and it cuts even and clean.

Pull out the pressure washer to give it a bath, scrape the deck, sharpen the blade and I'm cutting away with an engine that starts easier and runs smother than my much newer HRR216.

I suspect someone overfilled the oil causing the smoke and they just tossed it. Anyway fun way to kill two or three hours on Saturday. I winterized the HRR and put it up. I'll use this one for leaves to see if it "makes the cut" for spring work or goes on Craigslist.

Pictures attached

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I seem to have a habit (wife calls it a problem) of having Hondas follow me home. I think I'm up to six including my current HRR all pulled from the scrap heap. They have VERY finicky carbs and people just junk them around here. Usually just stick to the ones with the blade brake and hydro trans for personal preference. I usually just sell them for pizza money. I did pick up a JD JX75 last year that needed the blade brake clutch rebuilt. Cost about $10 for parts and a couple of hours and now the son in law has the nicest walk behind in his neighborhood.

I'm convinced that between the average person's disinterest in fixing things and planned obselescence, I'l be kept busy for a long time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts