My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Congratulations to our June FMOM

A man who believes in GOD, family, country and man’s ingenuity to adapt and overcome

Volfandt​
Name:
Dave T

Member number:

What city, and state, do you live in?
Knoxville, TN

Are you married?

Yes, to Mrs T. for 35 years

Do you have any children?
1 daughter
Mrs W.
Grown and married.

Do you have any grandchildren?
Yes, I'm blessed with 2 young grandsons

What do you do to earn a living?
retired telephoneman

How old are you?

Military service?

USMC aviation... I was a GSE (ground support equipment mechanic). I served on the flight line in several squadrons, HMA-369 (AH-1J Cobra gunships) and VMA-231 (AV-8A Harriers), and in intermediate repair shops (H&MS squadrons).
Basically at one time or another I maintained the GSE gear for just about every aircraft that was in the USMC inventory over the 4 years I served. Spent a year on a carrier (USS FDR) and supported AV-8A Harriers, F4 Phantoms, A6 Intruders, A7 Corsairs, E2 Hawkeyes, C2 Greyhound’s and the VH-3 Sea King. I flew on UH-1 Huey’s, CH-46 “Frog” Sea knight, CH-53 Super Stallion, C-130 Hercules and got to fly front seat on the AH-1J Cobra once. On every one of those aircraft, if they weren’t leaking a little hydraulic fluid it meant it was out LOL.

How did you come to join MTF?
Way back in the day I used to peruse a L&G tractor forum that was part of Gardenweb. I followed several members from there to here. IIRC USN-Ed was one of them.

What are your favorite MTF forums and why?
Kubota Cut & SCUTs. I have a 2004 BX23D, my primary estate machine.

WheelHorse L&G, I have 1966 856 and a 1966 876. They both still earn their keep.
Trucks, Somewhere along the line I've acquired and am actively repairing a modified 1949 GMC 1/2 ton and a 1949 Chevy 1/2 ton. Also enjoy reading up on others truck stories.

What do you like most about MTF?
It provides good open dialog on many varying topics. I also enjoy seeing the new folks that discover the world of tractoring and how useful a tool these machine are.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:
2004 Kubota BX23D with an FEL, BH, 60" MMM, 42" 3PH tiller, cultivator, disc hiller, yard rake and Cyclone Rake.
IMG_0326.JPG
1966 WheelHorse 856 with 36" mower, 42" front blade, front mounted DC alternator welder.

1966 WheelHorse 876 with 50" sicklebar mower.

IMG_0917.JPG

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?
Probably the BX23D as it's my primary finish mower and it's FEL is my primary backsaver.
Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?
Someday I'd like to own a Kubota B3030 or the latest model of this size tractor as it comes with a cab with AC & heat. I'd like it with quick attach FEL and 3PH attachments to make swapping implements easy-peazy.

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?
The BX23D finish mows my property. I use the FEL for everything from transporting material to lifting heavy material to digging and spreading material. I don't use the BH as much as I used to but when I need to dig anywhere for anything I mount it instead of using a shovel, my back loves it.
The BX also tills and maintains my gardens.

I use the 856 to mow the few places the 60" MMM of the BX23 can't get to and occasionally mnount the blade to move the rare snows we get and/or spread material. I used to use the alternator stick welder but haven't in quite a while.

I use the 876 and it's sicklebar mower to cut a 100" bank along the road in front of my house, to trim around a small pond and to get under and around several bushes and other pretty vegitation my Mrs has planted around the yard.

Could you describe your property for us?
I own and maintain a little over 4 acres I've split into 3 areas. The front yard, the back yard and the back field. I have a small pond in the back yard and 2 small garden plots. The back field is where I plant a large field corn plot.
I finish mow them all weekly and/or when needed.

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?
Currently I'm in the process of repairing and rebuilding a modified 49 GMC 1/2ton pickup I traded a running 1972 Karmann Ghia for.
I also have a 49 Chevy 3100 1/2ton pickup in original condition that I keep running and plan on one day doing a frame off restoration.

Cowded shop.jpg

Most memorable tractor moment?
Probably when I bought my 1st riding mower which was the WheelHorse 856. I bought it used at the now closed local WheelHorse dealer. The original owner had passed away and his heirs sold it back to the dealer. I just happened in right after they left. I didn't know anything about WheelHorses then but bought it on the spot. Probably the best machine purchase I ever made. I used that machine for everything I could. I even used it to mow the full 4 acres at times. It would take all day but I sure enjoyed that seat time LOL.

Earliest tractor memories?
see above

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?
I like to garden and since retiring my plots have grown.

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?
Although my Mrs doesn't share my passion for all things mechanical, she tolerates me and on occasion even buys me a tool or associated clothing etc. I am a blessed man.

Attachments

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Congrats! I like your garage!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,300 Posts
Congratulations Dave! Very well deserved. You've given much to MTF over the years. Both, as a member, and as a moderator. When I first joined the moderating staff you were someone that I looked to for your common sense, fairness, and even keeled approach.

Your knowledge and sharing ways are true assets to this place, and I hope that will long continue to be the case.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,742 Posts
Congratulations to you Dave! This honor has been a long time coming. It is good to have you here. Thanks for all you have done for MTF. :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
37,139 Posts
Volfandt, congrats on the FMOM! You were nearly one of the originals if you came over in 2005! Stick around for another 13 years!

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
Congratulations, Dave! And thank you for your service. Neat pics of your of your old pick up trucks, and WH's.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Why thankee for the kind words y'all. It's enough to make a man blush but then again after spending a good part of the day out in in this beautiful weather today I'm red all over so you couldn't tell it anyways LOL.

re. Volfandt. Back when I started using the WWW I 1st joined a sports board of my fav college team, TN Volunteers or VOLs for short and to keep it simple I just use it most everywhere else, so VOL-fan-dt, it is....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
10,029 Posts
Congrats! and Huh-Rah from a fellow Marine. VMFA-232. F-4 Phantom Flight Equipment shop. Spent my share of time on a flight line too!

·
322 jd. with loader
386 Posts
Congratulations, well deserved

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,474 Posts
Congrats and thank you for your service for our country! Great looking tractors!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
congrats!!!

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Congrats! welcome to being a FMOM!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
Congrats!