My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Congratulations to our June Featured Member of the Month, Tracktortag (Dave)!

tracktortag.jpg

Dave's a long-time member, and a very "Gravely" kinda guy!

Dave, have you met any of the other Gravely folks?

Yes, we are a pretty tight knit group. I've met Ellis (tiretrx) and John (ironpile631) on a few occasions as we both live on Long Island. I just recently met Al (Canary Al) when he stopped by to transport some parts for another member who lives in Ma., as does Al. I've also met John (jepics). I've actually just been up to his place not too long ago in order to help him move some attachments, and parts that he recently bought.

You Gravely folks have a really strong community on here, do you have any kind of yearly get together that you know of?
I hope to make it to the Gravely Tractor Club of America's "Mow-In" being held in Rhinebeck, N.Y. this coming June. This three day (four, including set up day) is the club's annual event. There will be a number of members from several states to meet there.

traktortag02.jpg
Name: Dave

Member number: #36044

What state do you live in? Long Island, N.Y.

Are you married? Yes, to MaryAnn for 39 yrs.

Do you have any children? Yes, 12! Nicole 26 yrs. And 11 four wheeled ones between the ages of 33 and 49.

What do you do to earn a living? Law enforcement (34 yrs., recently retired).

How old are you? 60 yrs.

Military service? No. My number was not called during the Viet Nam era draft. I have the highest respect for those who have served, including my father, and uncles during WWII, and those who serve today.

How did you come to join MTF? Google searches when having tractor issues.

What are your favorite forums and why? The Gravely and John Deere forums. I also stop by other tractor forums as well.

What do you like most about MTF? The members. Great folks across the board! There are no boundaries between brand forums here.

Please list your tractors and/or equipment:
1966 Gravely LI 2 wheel
1966 Gravely L8 2 wheel
2 "Wisconsin" (powered) Gravely L types 2 wheel
1968 Gravely Commercial 430 rider
1972 Gravely 814 rider
1972 Gravely 816 rider
1972 Gravely 408 rider
1975 Gravely 816 rider
1982 Gravely 830E rider
1971 John Deere 140 H3
traktortag03.jpg

What is your favorite tractor or piece of equipment and why?
No favorites. I like them all, which is why I seem to have a problem selling any of them.

Is there a tractor or piece of equipment you'd love to own someday?
Every time I look around various forums and see corresponding tractors I always wind up thinking "that's a neat tractor, I wouldn't mind having one" to myself, so yes, there are many tractors that I'd like to have.

Tell us some of the tasks you use your tractors and/or equipment for?
Mowing, snow plowing/blowing, leaf removal, gardening.

traktortag05.jpg

Could you describe your property for us?

Two properties. One is mostly wooded.

traktortag04.jpg

The other is open lawn.

Is there something you'd love to build or restore someday?

More tractors!

Most memorable tractor moment?

Seeing the front wheels two feet in the air as I pulled a trailer load of eight foot logs up a steep hill in the woods, and having to ride it out to the top. I knew that if I had stopped, I may have spun the wheels. And I didn't think that trying to back down the hill without steering, and a trailer load of logs would have been the best idea, despite the 430's having steering brakes.
We made it though. I guess you could say that my Gravely 4 wheeler became a 2 wheeler that day.

Earliest tractor memories?

They would be of my grandfather's big Deere tractors, and his wood handled Gravely Model L 2 wheel tractor.

I still recall the day that I started, and ran it for the first time.

I was about twelve years old when I saw this machine in the corner of the barn. It was almost completely covered with burlap bags. It had what I now know was a 30 inch bush hog mower deck attached. I started thinking that I could cut the lawn a lot faster with the Gravely than the twenty one inch rotary mower. Plus, I thought that it would be more fun.

So one day I aired up the tires using my bicycle pump, and pulling about as hard as I could, I finally managed to reach daylight.

I poured some gas into the tank, pulled out the choke lever, and then realized that I didn't know which way to wrap the strap around the flywheel. I finally found a small arrow on the flywheel. I figured that it meant that the engine should turn "this way". Along the way, I also found a pin on the flywheel. I put two and two together and came up with placing the eyelet in the strap over the pin and...

I wrapped the strap around the flywheel, and pulled. Well, I didn't pull hard enough because the next thing I knew, I was being pulled toward the tractor, and my arms felt like they were being pulled out of their sockets. The eyelet hadn't cleared the pin, and the engine decided that it wanted to kick backward. I knew then that this was a serious machine, and that I would need to be mindful when using it.

I gave it a few more pulls, being "mindful" to pull the strap as hard as I could.

Finally, it started, and it was LOUD! The pepper pot muffler had rusted to the point that it was now just a shell. I could feel the concussion from the engine in my ears, but I didn't care. I slowly manipulated the controls until I learned forward, and reverse, high, and low gear, and then how to engage the mower deck.

I used the Gravely like that for the entire summer. My ears would always be ringing by the time I was finished cutting, but I didn't care. I was cutting grass with a cool tractor.

Do you have any other hobbies or interests that you'd like to share with us?

Cars, since I was young. The highlight of my car hobby was buying a used 1967 dark green Shelby Mustang GT 350 for $1,150.00 in 1973. And I made "big money" when I sold it for $2,500.00 shortly after we were married. Oh well...

What do the other people in your life think of your "tractor" hobby?
I don't think they quite understand it.:sidelaugh

traktortag01.jpg
june_fmom.png

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
A BIG CONGRATULATIONS, Dave! That's some nice looking Gravelys you have!

·
Super Moderator
13,599 Posts
Congrats! I enjoy reading about some of the great work you do.

:fing02:

·
Super Moderator
22,976 Posts
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

Well deserved, Dave!!

Great looking group of tractors! :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
Congrats Dave. You certainly deserve the honor. And you know I LOVE your 408.

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Dave congrats! You are a real gem to this forum. I am glad i have guys like you to teach me about gravely's even if i ask simple questions :sidelaugh. After you and John (jepics) welcome I find myself looking in there quite a bit. You said i would catch GAS and it is looking like I may :D

Enjoy the fame my friend :)

·
Professional Amateur
1,269 Posts
Congrats Dave! Very well deserved. :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
Thanks to all for your kind words. I was very surprised when I received the PM from Tyson (littletractorguy).

I have enjoyed my time spent here immensely. I continue to enjoy exchanges with others.

I also enjoy reading threads, and/or seeing pics of old machines that have been restored, and given a second lease on life, whatever the brand, type of tractor, or mower.

The common thread is that someone cared enough to take the time, and make the effort to keep a machine's history alive.

And I couldn't help myself in the first pic, since the JD 140's wire harness I was holding looked more like spaghetti than a wire harness.:D

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,742 Posts
Congratulations Dave, and as others have said, well deserved! I look forward to meeting you at the MTF Gathering.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Good for you Tracktortag for being picked June member of the month. They could not have picked a better person than you. I always like reading your posts.
I would like to thank you for your service in law enforcement and for help keeping us safe from the bad guys out there.
I hope to read lots more of your posts. I'm glad your on our side.
Glenn aka puppycat P.S. Very nice tractors, even the green and yellow one.

·
Administrator
12,866 Posts
Congratulations Dave! I enjoyed the your article, and you sure have a nice bunch of machinery!

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Congrats Dave! I have noticed your spending more time on the green side lately, but I cant help but notice the 140 is at the very bottom of your tractor list??? The only thing I can figure is its a countdown to number one! LOL. Your Gravely's look okay too....

Anyhow, congrats and thank you for your service! Well deserved...

·
Super Moderator
12,938 Posts
Thanks again all, for the kind words. Nick, not to worry. The only reason I listed the 140 last was because I thought it better to get through the challenge of listing the Gravelys in some kind of chronological order first. I saved the easiest to list for last.

BTW, speaking of the 140, UPS delivered a rather large package from Iowa yesterday.:fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Thanks again all, for the kind words. Nick, not to worry. The only reason I listed the 140 last was because I thought it better to get through the challenge of listing the Gravelys in some kind of chronological order first. I saved the easiest to list for last.

BTW, UPS delivered a rather large package from Iowa yesterday.:fing32:
:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Round fenders!!! :thThumbsU

I wont derail everyone here congradulating you, but looking forward to updates over on the other thread. -Had to give you a hard time..... lol

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Congratulations Dave! You are most deserving of this honor.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
Thanks Don. I'm still very surprised by the whole thing.
its all that playing around on the green side, it gets you awarded lol :praying:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts