My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a battery for the 104 I just got. I've been trying to jump it to the a/g to get it started to no avail. I know it works with newer mowesr but I don't know if this is acceptable with the 104 I have.

Do I need to touch both terminals on the a/g or just one?

Also, when looking at the voltage regulator, what order are the letters b,f, and g in, top to bottom?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Your tractor will not run without a charged battery. It has a battery ignition which means it must have an independent 12volt source.The newer tractors you spoke of probably have magneto ignition which requires no battery and generates its own electricity for ignition.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not exactly sure what an "a/g" is.

If you were to try to bypass your electrical system by jumping the starter/generator, you would put the pos cable on the "A" post on the S/G and the neg cable to ground. Doing that however will probably burn a little spot on the threads of the post and you will not be able to get the nut off. You want to be careful and not connect the jumper cable to both the "A" and "F" terminals at the same time, you will probably burn up the charging portion of the Starter/Generator and it will need to be rebuilt.

For the tractor to actually start by jumping the S/G you will need to have the key in the "on" position and the S/G must be working or it will need a hot battery to charge the coil or you will get no spark.

To see if the points are getting electricity; while cranking the engine, connect your test light to ground and touch the point to the neg (-) side of the coil, your light should flicker on and off as the engine turns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Junkman, thx for the tip. I should've known that, but it is my first older mower. Believe it or not, the thing started. It ran rough, but it ran!

Cub head, I meant s/g, sorry for the typo. I only touched the "A" terminal. I don't know if my amp guage is working so is there a way to tell if the charging portion is working?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Once you get a battery in it and get it running you can check the generator portion of the S/G by connecting a jumper between the F terminal on the S/G and a good ground, this will bypass the voltage regulator and put the gen in charge mode. if you ammeter is working the needle should show it charging but even without a meter you should be able to hear it load the engine when you make the connection.

The best way to know for sure what posts are what on the regulator is to actually take it off and clean the terminals so you can read the markings, there are several different regulators that will work on there and the terminals are NOT in the same location on all of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So just hook one end of a wire up to the "F" terminal and the other end to a ground?

Do I need to take off the wire that is already on the "F" terminal first?

·
Registered
550 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts