My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my John Deere 316, it has an onan engine and it turns over but there is no spark, changed the spark plug coil and spark plugs and nothin.... I am at my witts end trying to figure this out anyone got any ideas

·
Registered
185 Posts
Disconnect the small black/gray wire going to the coil, that is the wire that kills the spark and it may be shorting somewhere.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
With your meter or test light, first verify you have 12 volts (with the key in the run position) to the primary side of the coil. If good, then remove one spark plug, put the plug wire back on it, ground it to the engine, and switch the key off while looking for a single spark. Did you get a spark? This would indicate the coil is good. Also could indicate the ignition module is bad or has poor connections.

To recapture, you have replace the ignition coil and spark plugs. How about the plug wires? Are you sure you reconnected everything correctly? Have you checked your fuses?

·
Registered
948 Posts
That serial number does not compute for any 316 I've encountered with an Onan, unless maybe it's off the engine itself. If you have one with breaker point ignition, your points could be improperly set or worn out. Also, the condenser may be bad. The pickup coil off the stator could also be bad. Any of these could prevent ignition spark, along with the other suggestions made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts