My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this Johnson work horse 14 loader will only go this hi (see image) it seems to top out, meaning it stops abruptly. Before it reaches its highest position it seems fast up and down it curls very quickly, everything seems fine except for his height ... All the images I see of loader in its hi off loading position is way higher than mine... I have attached a picture of its highest position and also showed a picture of my control valve... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all fittings, hoses and fluid level all good. What’s weird when bucket tops out it stops abruptly, like it would like it designed. All hardware and arms are not jammed, just weird. The fluid resovior level seems to have plenty of fluid... No where near the bottom where the hoses are...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I no not have a breather on top of the resovior, but I have tried many cycling cycles up and down with the plug off. No change. This is bugging me bad... lol

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible the hoses got mixed up on assembly

·
Registered
935 Posts
If your loader works some what I don't think hoses are problem. I would take the lift pistons off loader arms, then try to see if both pistons go all the way in and out, I don't think the will. My two cents

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will try that...
Everything works quickly and no vibration both up and down and the pitch control... It just does not extend to its full potential.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Does the relief valve sing out when to try to raise bucket ? Does relief valve sing out when you work the bucket ? Do you have a way to test the hyd system pressure ? Back in the day we would work the loader off the Eaton 12 hydro, that worked out well, no extra belt or pump. My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
35,806 Posts
Is this line maybe getting "pinched" when you raise it thereby preventing flow?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is not, but I changed its location just the same, I relocated it under the arms...

What I see happen, when it tops out, the tractor will jump at the sudden stop, just like when you jiggle the control valve... Sudden stop of fluid... It does not look like psi loss or fluid loss.

What I do see is at some point in its life it looks like it was filled with atf ( I see small amounts of seal leakage that’s reddish in color on the pistons ) and the system is now filled with what I was told was hydraulic fluid...

I have left the bucket in its highest position over night to see how far they fall in 24hrs. Right about an inch in 24hrs... Not bad I think...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The manual says to fill with 10w40

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more thing...

When you tip the bucket edge down to the ground and put down pressure it will not pick up the tractor which it should right?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the relief valve sing out when to try to raise bucket ? Does relief valve sing out when you work the bucket ? Do you have a way to test the hyd system pressure ? Back in the day we would work the loader off the Eaton 12 hydro, that worked out well, no extra belt or pump. My two cents.
Hi Ray, No I do not hear anything singing when I operate the control valve. That would indicate air in the lines...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Ray, No I do not hear anything singing when I operate the control valve. That would indicate air in the lines...
And no at the moment I do not have a way to test psi.

·
Super Moderator
35,806 Posts
I would think that the loader should pick up the front of the tractor when applying downforce.

·
22,762 Posts
Pressure gauges are cheap, and you need one to diagnose this problem, A 2000 psi liquid filled gauge should do. If there is a gauge (GA) port on the IN side of the valve body, the gauge should screw right in, otherwise a Tee needs to be installed at the IN port so that both the gauge and the line from the pump can be connected.

As the bucket is raised, the pressure increases.If the pressure is low, you will need the gauge to set the relief valve beside the spool controls for the correct pressure. (You are pointing at the relief valve in the third pic.) I don't know what pressure Johnson specs for that loader, but it appears to have 1.5" bore lift cylinders and 1000 psi should be good for that size of GT

When a relief valve pops, the flow of fluid to the cylinders stops abruptly and is redirected to the return port of the valve set, but the bucket has enough mass in motion at the time to bounce the tractor on the tires. The bucket appears to be 48" wide and will weigh 150 - 175 lb. If the relief valve is set at a pressure too low to raise the bucket any higher, it's song may not be loud enough to hear over the engine noise.

It appears that power steering has been installed. That's great for reducing the operator's work load, but it doesn't reduce the stress in the tie rods. The front tires will increase that stress significantly, especially when the tractor is stopped and direction is changed with a full payload. I ran a smooth tread tire on the front of my GT and I still changed one or two tie rod ends every year. With no payload in the bucket, there is about 400 lb of tractor and another 400 lb of loader pushing aggressive tread front tires into the ground. A 500 lb payload will add another 900 lb to the weight supported by the front tires.

Front ags look cool and have a use on 4wd tractors in soft ground. GTs with FELS and 2wd have no business working on soft ground.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much do you for that update. Will the big box stores carry a 2000 pound water filled pressure gauge?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FW Webb should have it. I’ll stop by tonight after work...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like I will also need to Tee the IN from the pump...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are these common size threads on the valve?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts