My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used JB Jr Bucket and Plow set recently (found it in this thread). Was originally owned by Ericdube, then by jay25rs. This one has gotten around, but still in great shape.

Here are my installation pics. Also I made a little demo video here uploaded to youtube.

Here are the parts I bought from jay25rs... plow on left, bucket (with toothbar and bucket doubler) on right, and in the middle is a snowflap, mounting hardware and the 2 linear actuators (one for lift, the other dual purpose as both power dump or blade angle). Sorry for the blurry pic, this one was taken by phone.

The used unit had the hitch adapter for a Cub 2500 series but this doesn't fit the Cub i-Series so, set that aside.

So I purchased the proper hitch adapter for an i1050 from Johnny Products. This included 2 side plates, the hitch plate (toward bottom of pic) and pivoting hitch bar (toward top). $220 shipped. A little pricey, but decided to go with the right parts instead of fabricating something this time.

The front of the i1050 frame, using MTD's "Fast Attach" configuration. That's out the window too for this install. Not using that.

Note I had removed the muffler guard earlier for another reason (basically it was in the way of something else), but it doesn't need to be removed for the JB installation.

The JB install instructions require removing the wheel gear covers. This is a pretty common occurrence for the i-Series. Those covers are always in the way of something. Ignore the pulley mounted to the frame - that was for my blower winch lift mod. Removed the pulley for this install.

Out comes the FastAttach shoulder bolt (plus a few other bolts on the frame). The JB install instructions said to "discard" these bolts (?). That sounds pretty final! Um, no... I think I'll just put them in a baggie somewhere for safe keeping.

Hitch right arm installed:

Hitch left arm installed.

I know a hammer is not standard equipment for these kinds of installs. Somehow I always end up needing one though...

Hitch plate installed:

Steering gear covers back on (again):

Here I've taken the lift actuator off the Cub 2500 series JB hitch and put it on the Cub i1050 JB hitch. The ends of the round bar stock at the top of the separate piece engage in hooks at the bottom of the hitch plate that is already on the tractor.

These two catches swing forward and trap the bar ends. Well, they would if the bolts attaching the hitch plate weren't in the way. Doh! Note to self, position catches before fastening hitch plate to side arms. Removed and re-assembled... grr.

Here the hitch bracket is now attached to hitch plate.

Pins on each side keep the catch from releasing.

Side view of complete hitch.

Blade now attached to hitch bracket via two large bolts. Still need to add pivot actuator.

Front view of blade attached to hitch bracket.

Pivot actuator added. This is the power dump actuator from the bucket. Removed it from the bucket for use here.

Same thing, from another angle:

Electrical hookup. Hard to see with all the wires, but the hookup was pretty simple. Two wires to hook to battery positive (with inline fuses), two to ground. The rest of the wiring harness and the two DPDT switches were pre-assembled.

Here are my jury-rigged switches. We were supposed to be getting snow later in the evening when I did this install, so I was in a hurry (we ended up getting zero snow). I'll get them properly mounted soon.

Tractor hood back on, install finished:

Now all I need is for it to go ahead and snow already. My area has had like 1 inch of snow all season. But at least I'm ready now...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice! Great to see you were able to get this mounted on your tractor! You're going to love it!

BTW, that's the turbo dump actuator that I originally bought with it - that's the reason why it's so fast (you mentioned this in the video.)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Congrats on the new2u blade, and all the pictures of the install. Happy blading!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Get some action video of it for us when you get a chance. slkpk

·
Registered
905 Posts
i always wondered what the mount looked like, nice to see the side plates extend pretty far back to stiffen up the frame.

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! Great to see you were able to get this mounted on your tractor! You're going to love it!

BTW, that's the turbo dump actuator that I originally bought with it - that's the reason why it's so fast (you mentioned this in the video.)
Hey Eric. Yeah, I had a blade already but a manual one. Having the power option will be nice. And I knew it had the faster actuator.. that's one of the reasons I was interested in this particular used package.

For overall utility in snow I think I still prefer my snowblower attachment. I got this JB Jr bucket plus plow mainly for the bucket. But since I have the power plow now I want to at least make some use of it, so it wins out over the snowblower at least for this season.

Now if I could just work out how to mount my snowblower attachment to the JB power lift hitch, I'd be all set. As it stands, it's not trival to switch between the two given all the changes at the frame. But I don't think I could do it without the blower being *way* far out front, which would increase the moment and (once counterbalanced) put a lot more stress on the front axle and bushings than I'd like. The blower is already almost 300 lbs.

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Get some action video of it for us when you get a chance. slkpk
I assume you mean actually doing work with it (in snow)... yeah, I'm eagerly waiting for that also. Just gotta get some snow here...

i always wondered what the mount looked like, nice to see the side plates extend pretty far back to stiffen up the frame.
Yeah, with the i-Series I think it's a necessity due to the frame cutouts for clearance of the front axle. Otherwise I'd be worried about there not being enough strength to resist the bending forces from pushing.

I kind of wish JP had made it one continuous piece instead of 3 pieces welded together. I know it needs to contour outward to go around the wheel relief, but I think that might be stronger as a stamped bend vs 3 piece weld. However I assume JP is only set up for cutting and welding, and stamping all the different variations would be prohibitively expensive due to tooling overhead.

Thanks to the others for the nice comments also. I'll post more once I get a chance to put this into action.

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
Johnny products has done a nice job making their products, but I often wonder:

Does anyone else find the JP Jr. to be too far out in front of the tractor? I've never seen one in person, but it sure looks like it is a ways from the front compared to conventional plow setups.

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnny products has done a nice job making their products, but I often wonder:

Does anyone else find the JP Jr. to be too far out in front of the tractor? I've never seen one in person, but it sure looks like it is a ways from the front compared to conventional plow setups.
Yeah, it's way out there. I noticed this too. I think the blade ends up about as far in front of the front tires as the front tires are from the rear tires. Compared to my Arnold manual plow blade this sticks out almost a foot farther.

I'm guessing this is because it shares the hitch with the bucket, and the longer the hitch arm the more height you get with the bucket. This is great for the bucket.. not so hot for the plow blade.

I suspect this will make blading in tight spaces a little more tricky but probably not a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Looks great Toolin. I always like your installs. You remember to take pictures, I never do!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My JB Jr. brackets are the same way on my LT1050. They over the front axle and extend pretty far back on the frame for rigidity. I had to drill two holes for new bolts and remove the shoulder bolts like you did, but I too saved them for if I ever mount my snowblower or plow up on it again using the fast-attach.

I wish I had got the JB Jr. plow when I had a chance. Everything is so easy to hook up I may try to hook up my blower to the bracket and have the best of all three worlds, lol! I just have to check out the diameter of the rod on the blower and how long of a belt I would need. It just may work.....

·
MTF Member
85 Posts
I have been considering a JB and plow and have trying to find detailed and close up photos of the plow and mounting bracket. Your photos answered all of my questions, so - thanks for taking the time to chronicle the install and posting the pics.

As a side note: It's not like these things can be seen in person at a local store, so I would have expected to find great promotional materials including detailed photos on their website. In fact, detailed photos are pretty sparce and, I'm not trying to be critical, but the Johnny Bucket website is in serious need of upgrading. Actually, I think forums like this do more to sell their products then their own website - they should thank you for doing their job for them...

Pete

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
I have been considering a JB and plow and have trying to find detailed and close up photos of the plow and mounting bracket. Your photos answered all of my questions, so - thanks for taking the time to chronicle the install and posting the pics.

As a side note: It's not like these things can be seen in person at a local store, so I would have expected to find great promotional materials including detailed photos on their website. In fact, detailed photos are pretty sparce and, I'm not trying to be critical, but the Johnny Bucket website is in serious need of upgrading. Actually, I think forums like this do more to sell their products then their own website - they should thank you for doing their job for them...

Pete
I believe Johnny Products is a true "Mom and Pop" operation, at least it started that way. The fact that they have a web site at all may be a miracle. You're right, I think most of their business is through web sites like this, but I think they're ok with that. Would be nice to get them as a sponsor here though.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'll pile on to that and take the thread even further off topic by adding that a lot of the manufacturers of non-OEM branded goodies for our tractors don't exactly get rich off these things. They are more of a hobby business, or a sideline of an existing business. They simply would not exist if they had to put stuff in showrooms or pour thousands into advertising.

·
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts