My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
It seems that I recall that Ford punched holes in the frames of their pickup trucks back about 1980 in order to save weight.

As I understand it, after a few of the frames bent in customer service, they began to sell "mouse hole fillers" to weld into the holes that had been punched.

View attachment 2506051
Think they suffered through a few law suits as well.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Back to the topic at hand, I guess the takeaway is that the JBJr you see on their website is not what you will be receiving. I don't know about the Sr.

Personally, I don't like change for the sake of change and I don't like receiving something different from what's pictured when I buy things. Irritating.

I have been contemplating the purchase of a JBJr since last year. But, this whole logo thing is going to affect functionality with branches, twigs, wire, scrap hauling or any other thing that will no doubt get caught and hung up in these cutouts. A big FAIL. :(

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
One could always weld a piece in but that is not the point. Would be nice to know Johnny Buckets reason for this. Not sure why they would even want their name on something prone to fail.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Platinum2, while I don't disagree, I'll bet things getting stuck in there could be reduced significantly with a few layers of duct tape over the lettering, on both the top and bottom surfaces. Pretty? Nope. But something would have to poke through the tape to get stuck in there. Or attach a thin piece of plywood, weld a plate over it, etc.

Do they still sell the JB Sr? I thought I'd heard they stopped selling that one.

If this would keep you from buying, that seems like something they should know, I'd send them a note. That sort of stuff is probably 10X as effective as us discussing it here.

And even just the issue of not getting what was shown & expected is pretty easy to explain, regardless of how "married" they are to the lettering.

And maybe they could make you one without the cutout. It would likely be just a different DXF file for the cutting machine.

·
Super Moderator
36,502 Posts
The JB Sr. is no longer being made for any machines. Saw that on the JB website just last week.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Getting back to the OP's original, in practice with the JB, Jr, you likely will never have anything filled up to the top of the bucket unless you fill it by hand with a shovel. The JB, Jr. bucket with the standard and only linkage simply does not raise up far enough that the plasma cutout will even be a factor. Besides, many people also get the bucket extender that increases the load size for leaves and other loose material.

Many are confusing the JB, Jr. with an actual front end loader (FEL) which it certainly is not. It's much more of a wheelbarrow that attaches to the front of a tractor and can be used for digging in soft dirt.

Reactions: TnTkr

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Platinum2, while I don't disagree, I'll bet things getting stuck in there could be reduced significantly with a few layers of duct tape over the lettering, on both the top and bottom surfaces. Pretty? Nope. But something would have to poke through the tape to get stuck in there. Or attach a thin piece of plywood, weld a plate over it, etc.

Do they still sell the JB Sr? I thought I'd heard they stopped selling that one.

If this would keep you from buying, that seems like something they should know, I'd send them a note. That sort of stuff is probably 10X as effective as us discussing it here.

And even just the issue of not getting what was shown & expected is pretty easy to explain, regardless of how "married" they are to the lettering.

And maybe they could make you one without the cutout. It would likely be just a different DXF file for the cutting machine.
While I could weld a plate over it, duct tape it, shingle it, pave over it.....that's not the point. The point is "Why?"

While it wouldn't keep me from buying one, I would ask to have one made that hasn't been molested by their plasma cutter. If I were going to be stenciling or baking cookies, then this design would be great. But, I'm not.

·
Registered
264 Posts
At my work we changed from a separate badge to laser cut logo on an external part that is laser cut anyways. Reasons were less work at assembly line, less cost and longevity of the logo. I would assume Johnny Bucket has similar reasons, and probably nobody thought the drawbacks in use.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
I would imagine it was an advertising thing with little thought to the end user.
This could be over come by using thicker metal and adding some gussets.
At some point they will have to decide if keeping the customer happy is important.

·
Registered
2017 Husqvarna GT48DXLS
421 Posts
A couple of other thoughts. I routinely get my bucket in spots where those holes would snag and either push something forward or pull it back. They would be ripped out quickly here.

Also how happy would you be getting off the seat to dig the branches out of them when they were blocking you from dumping brush?
NEW! Snag-Tastic ™ Lettering for 2021

View attachment 2505978
Glad to see your XL is still hard at work Steve, looks good.

GT

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
Glad to see your XL is still hard at work Steve, looks good.

GT
Yeah I haven't seen anyone else with the J0nnie B0uchet' EHL (Extra High Lift) bucket yet. Seems I'm the only one who ordered one.

Reactions: FLHusqGT

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
You are way to modest. Better fazing would be only one that has ever made one work.
I will admit that I had an "uh-oh" moment when I had the frame tacked up and mounted when I was trying to figure out how much curl cylinder stroke I needed.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yup, JP has gone logo crazy folks!

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
Wow, that's ridiculous.

·
Registered
264 Posts
While I don't think it matters too much if the letters will get filled up, it looks really ridiculous and tacky! 🤢

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Basically, they got a new tool and have gone completely overboard with it.

Imagine if they were cake decorators...🤔

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
While I don't think it matters too much if the letters will get filled up, it looks really ridiculous and tacky! 🤢
If John's gonna cut out all that metal, I want a lower price. 😉

21 - 40 of 43 Posts