My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just saw this on a YouTube video and was a bit shocked. 馃槼 It appears Johnny Products has been a bit aggressive with their plasma cutter....

I don't see how this enhances the product. In my mind, this is not a beneficial design change.

Thoughts?

Premium Member
Well, it's a little bit more permanent than the chintzy sticker they used before. I'm in favor of it.

Reactions: FLHusqGT and TnTkr

MTF Member
I'd weld a plate over it in a hurry.
Makes it look a little cheesy.

Super Moderator
As long as it doesn't hurt the strength of the build then it really doesn't matter much. Just someone making sure their branding doesn't get removed. Stickers tend to be one of the first casualties of use.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As long as it doesn't hurt the strength of the build then it really doesn't matter much. Just someone making sure their branding doesn't get removed. Stickers tend to be one of the first casualties of use.
Etching might have been a bit more graceful approach, perhaps....

Premium Member
Just add their extender to it. It bolts on top and gives you more load capacity.

Premium Member
Etching might have been a bit more graceful approach, perhaps....
Etching what, though? You don't want to expose the bare steel underneath.

I think this looks kind of cool. I doubt it has a big impact on bucket strength.

Admittedly, you could accomplish something similar with a stencil and another color of paint. But if I had cool cutting capabilities, I'd want to make use of them too.

Super Moderator
Looks like someone went a little overboard with the plasma or waterjet cutter for zero benefit. Reminds me of this.

Premium Member
Looks like someone went a little overboard with the plasma or waterjet cutter for zero benefit.
Zero benefit? I dunno, they got us talking about it, at least :) Free publicity. Plus, it illustrates that the design is still somewhat "active", if you will. Maybe they're making other tweaks that will get people excited.

And if they aren't time-limited on making these pieces, then it's not costing them very much. If it now takes 15 minutes to cut a piece, vs 10, but they're held up by some concurrent process that takes 20, then it doesn't make a lot of difference. I'm guessing that this is sort of a case of putting down a piece of steel, pressing a button, and coming back in a while, so you're probably not really tying someone up while this happens.

Super Moderator
I felt I was being kind at zero. I'll back up and say less than zero. Extra nooks and crannies for dirt and mud to get stuck in and rust to form, edges for paint to flake off.

I use that top lip on my bucket to lever lift things. Most recently my 100lb box blade in my wellhouse with the hitch stuck under that lip. So 100lbs in a 4" area of the top up the bucket with the force directed upward from inside. If I did that at one of those big letter cutouts I'm pretty sure it would fold up the first jounce it took.

Reactions: Platinum2

Premium Member
That makes sense. Yeah, if you're doing something directly with that lip, the cutouts certainly won't help matters.

Maybe this is an opportunity for feedback to the Johnny people. If they get a bunch of negative feedback from it, perhaps they'll reconsider.

I fully agree with @Steve Urquell, except in my case, i've pulled 10" diameter concrete piers our of the ground with the lifting attachments at the top of my bucket using enough force to lift the back wheels off the ground with 650 lb of ballast installed.

'Bout as useful as a sieve on a sinking boat for heavy lifting.

One thing it does do is give the operator lots of choices for where to put the hooks to do the lifting without welding on lift points. Even with the relatively light lifting capability of a Johnny Bucket, it will still get bent out of shape.

Reactions: Steve Urquell

Premium Member
Maybe it getting bent out of shape was the intent. I would not think the recovery cost of the cut outs would pay off very fast. Has Johnny Bucket increased the price for this new design feature?

Super Moderator
A couple of other thoughts. I routinely get my bucket in spots where those holes would snag and either push something forward or pull it back. They would be ripped out quickly here.

Also how happy would you be getting off the seat to dig the branches out of them when they were blocking you from dumping brush?
NEW! Snag-Tastic 鈩 Lettering for 2021

20200320_160352_compress44.jpg

Reactions: FLHusqGT

Premium Member
I wonder if they did the same thing to the JB Sr. I have been considering adding a couple of hooks on that panel for helping to pull small shrubs out and such.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That makes sense. Yeah, if you're doing something directly with that lip, the cutouts certainly won't help matters.

Maybe this is an opportunity for feedback to the Johnny people. If they get a bunch of negative feedback from it, perhaps they'll reconsider.
That was pretty much my point. I don't see where this senseless design alteration benefits the customer. If anything, it weakens the product and introduces a failure point.

If this is a back-handed attempt at reducing material costs I'd rather pay a higher price.

Premium Member
That was pretty much my point. I don't see where this senseless design alteration benefits the customer. If anything, it weakens the product and introduces a failure point.

If this is a back-handed attempt at reducing material costs I'd rather pay a higher price.
Not sure how poking hole would reduce materials cost. I can see it vastly increasing production cost. Even punch press holes were an expense to the production cost but essential to the process. I fail to see where this benefits anyone.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Steve Urquell

It seems that I recall that Ford punched holes in the frames of their pickup trucks back about 1980 in order to save weight.

As I understand it, after a few of the frames bent in customer service, they began to sell "mouse hole fillers" to weld into the holes that had been punched.

Reactions: oefveteran
1 - 20 of 43 Posts