My Tractor Forum banner

John_U's 1980 317 Onan

19K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  MichaelTJD60 
#1 ·
I picked this up last fall from a guy that lives just on the north side of town, just the tractor and 47" deck. At some point, the KT17 had been upgraded to an Onan P218G, so I consider myself to have "lucked out" in that regard...

I swapped the tires and wheels over from the 210, and shot a coat of paint on the hood to match the newly powder coated sheet metal.

Just before New Year's, I drover over to meet a fellow WFM'er and pick up a couple of new toys from Iowa...

I also picked up a 54 blade locally, and had the tractor outfitted for winter (even though I only used it three times...

I also picked up a newer 46" deck with the powerflow pulley and decided to refurbish it with bearings, gator blades, belts and paint. I want to put a speed-up pulley on it, but figured I'd try it out as-is first.

I plumbed up a pair of rear hydraulic ports (it's the factory rear hydraulic kit), which I plan to use for hydraulic raise/lower upgrade on my aerator, as well as other rear implements.

My dad wanted to step up from the 208 (which he kept also), and found this 420 with weights and MCS for a pretty good deal. It needs a few things like seat suspension bushings, a good cleanup, and maybe tires.

Last week, I finally decided that I needed new shoes for the rear of the 317, as the Duro's just didn't give me an aggressive look like I wanted. I will mount them on a pair of 455 wheels.

I always have a few (dozen) on-going projects, but here is a sneak peak at one that I'm pretty excited about (second to the power steering upgrade...)

See less See more
#37 ·
I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid about $150 for the climb and valve together from a fellow member who was parting out a tractor.

I would make you a good deal on the hydro assist valve that I have off a 400, it's much more bolt-on.

#40 ·
The rear wheels? They are from a 455 with 26x12 tires. I'm not sure what they would look like or if they would even work with a 23x10.5 from a 300-series.

#45 ·
Nice tractor I never knew the 317 could look so sexy :)

#46 ·
Couple new pictures from today, playing in the snow with my son. I'm not sure who enjoyed themselves more, me or him. :fing32:

#47 ·
Great Pictures! If you both had fun it sounds like a good day to me :fing32:

#48 ·
Starting him young. I was that kid too. Your 317 looks great, just wait till your son learns how to drive it. I can relate...this was taken in 1999, I'm sitting on my uncle's lap.

Lawn Vehicle Motor vehicle Grass Lawn mower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.