My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Coming along nicely John! I am still envious of your Tiller! Did the PTO shaft come with it? How hard and long does it take to change it out?:trink40:

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Looking good, ill assume yo will come up 29 to 80 and head east?
I usually buzz over to 39 on 17 then head north, but it's about a wash.

Coming along nicely John! I am still envious of your Tiller! Did the PTO shaft come with it? How hard and long does it take to change it out?:trink40:
The PTO was part of the package deal for the tiller I picked up last winter. It also came with a really nice model 80 cart. :thanku:

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Reassembled everything yesterday after work, and even installed it on the tractor. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I think it's much stronger than the OEM Deere hitch for the closed frame tractors, plus I can leave my rear PTO installed.

The vertical lift links do create a bit of a twist on the lower draft links since they aren't offset at all and only have a swivel on one end, but I think I have a plan to take care of that.

:trink39:

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I went on an adventure Saturday morning, this followed me home.

I also reworked the vertical lift links over the weekend. While I lost the adjustment (for now), I ended up with much better geometry. I even bolted up my plow and gave it a shot in the garden. There's a bit too much trash on top to plow under, so I'll have to rake some off and toss it in the compost before finishing.

By the way, I received my seat suspension from Matt, I never knew what I was missing! Thanks Matt!

By the way, I received my seat suspension from Matt, I never knew what I was missing! Thanks Matt!
Nice Rig! What is that suspension seat off of? It looks great on there.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Nice Rig! What is that suspension seat off of? It looks great on there.
It's a reproduction unit based on the original Deluxe Suspension Seats that Deere offered with the later 300 and 400 series. He was advertising them on WFM last year. I didn't buy one then, but contacted him again this fall and he was working on another round this fall so I snatched one up!

Awesome Fab skills. Dont say we cant build it here! I love the 3 point!

First of all, VERY impressive skills and mods. I am currently refreshing a 317 right now. Been working on it for a year and I, like you have children (3) so i understand things getting put on hold.
Couple questions.
3 point hitch. very nice design. are you using a JD cylinder or did you pick one up at a retail store like tractor supply or rural king?
Steering - I am trying to figure how the assisted steering works. The 400 steering column looks the same as our 317 columns. So does the cylinder just apply constant force which reduces amount of driver effort when you turning?
Thanks for you time and for posting.
John

Discussion starter · #35 ·
First of all, VERY impressive skills and mods. I am currently refreshing a 317 right now. Been working on it for a year and I, like you have children (3) so i understand things getting put on hold.
Couple questions.
3 point hitch. very nice design. are you using a JD cylinder or did you pick one up at a retail store like tractor supply or rural king?
Steering - I am trying to figure how the assisted steering works. The 400 steering column looks the same as our 317 columns. So does the cylinder just apply constant force which reduces amount of driver effort when you turning?
Thanks for you time and for posting.
John
John,

Thanks for the compliments, it's not a show-unit, but I'm aiming for a nice fit and finish as well as functionality.

The 3-point hitch cylinder is actually a rear lift (deck) cylinder off of an open frame tractor. I think it was specifically from a 400.

The 400 steering valve is inline with the steering linkage, and provides flow based on the linkage input. The system is still primarily mechanical, with hydraulic assist. I would consider this to be very similar to what most vehicles today (equipped with a Saginaw style gearbox).

The later 300's and 420/430's used what I'll call fully hydraulic steering, using a power steering control unit, often also called an "orbital valve". There is no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels, it is controled completely hydraulically. This system uses hydraulic force (exerted through a cylinder) to control the direction of the wheels, instead of using the operator's effort multiplied through a gearbox and linkages. This type of steering requires the least amount of operator input, and remains constant regardless of speed and load on the steering axle.

Here's some more info I found on another forum:

For what it's worth, I'll be selling off the 400 valve I bought and using the 318 parts.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
think I may have to follow you in power steering about what was cost? if im not to bold asking
I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid about $150 for the climb and valve together from a fellow member who was parting out a tractor.

I would make you a good deal on the hydro assist valve that I have off a 400, it's much more bolt-on.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Hey john. Quick question here. To get ur tires to look like that. U used a set of 400 series rims. And can u use the same tires as u had on ur 318 rims

Sent from the MTF Free App
The rear wheels? They are from a 455 with 26x12 tires. I'm not sure what they would look like or if they would even work with a 23x10.5 from a 300-series.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.