1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lawnboy fixer & user
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Been waiting a long time for them... I just wish they would have went back to the old JX85 model. It's amazing how much weight most of the new commercial mowers are packing. But it's a catch 22 for the mfg. Build it light and get complaints that it's not "beefy" enough and employees break them too easily or build them like a tank and get complaints that they are too **** heavy to use.

I want to get my hands on one and see how balanced they are. If they aren't too heavy in the front the weight won't be bad. But the guys that work out of truck beds, picking them up and down out of the beds all day that kind of weight will never work, unless u have a 2 man team in each truck to lift. Not an issue for myself, I use a trailer, as do most people...

I'm dissapointed they ditched the 5 speed trans. That was a big plus to the older JD models IMO. 3 speed models always end up with: 1. too **** slow 2. just not quite fast enough and 3. holy chit no one can walk this freaking fast!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for posting...... I hadn't seen it before.

Overall it looks pretty stout other than the handles looked a bit wimpy to me as well. Also I like the handle/bales on my 14sb better than the bales on the new one, they look a bit cheap to me. I could just be used to mine.

Also the specs. noted the bag as 2.2 bushels, seems odd it's be smaller than the standard 2.5 bushels..... maybe its a typo, I dunno.

Bottom line, at least I'll sleep better at night knowing if my JD kicks the bucket JD now offers something I can replace it with :D

:greendr:

·
Registered
347 Posts
JD parts guy mentioned the new models were coming out in a few weeks.

What marketing executive team decided to release them at the end of the season. Should have released the Q1 2010 or wait for Q1 2011.

Heavy units though. It's like those Exmark monsters. Whatever happened to light and strong?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
they have to be heavy to surive employee abuse. i like the option to choose between bbc and not. no one in their right mind would want bbc for comm duty-just something else to break. i am suprized they came out with a comm model at all. look at the way they have gutted their home use line- gone are the decent models and all thats left is entry level models-guess they want to compete with the big box stores. i bet the new comm wont sell and will be gone in a few years. 1300$ is too high for most to pay-thats why the jx85 didnt sell. they should have priced it 700-800$

·
Registered
506 Posts
Is it me, or do those look a lot like the old Honda Masters?. Even the wheels look similar, aside from the fact they're yellow.

They look decent enough, but I agree with Dan, they want too much money. Especially in this economy. In my area, there's a brisk used market for Toro commercials. They sell for less than half of the new ones. That seems to be what most lawncare companies around me are buying.

·
Registered
300 Posts
List prices of $1200 & $1300 are right there with the major players like Toro and Exmark

New commercial mowers have been north of a grand for at least a decade or so.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
true but not many seem to buy the deere at that price. the fact is many pros dont even use a 21 anymore and most wont justify the 1200 price tag for occasional use. they buy a trowaway instead. not me i know the value of a top quality unit and use a 21 a lot still. if deere wanted to capture the market they could lower the price to 700-800 and make up the loss on their other products. they wont tho and this new offering will be gone in short order i predict. my deere dealer dosnt even stock any 21 mowers from jd-he sells hondas ! i bet the toro proline isnt selling like it used to since the suzuki 2 stroke was pulled from the line up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
true but not many seem to buy the deere at that price. the fact is many pros dont even use a 21 anymore and most wont justify the 1200 price tag for occasional use. they buy a trowaway instead. not me i know the value of a top quality unit and use a 21 a lot still. if deere wanted to capture the market they could lower the price to 700-800 and make up the loss on their other products. they wont tho and this new offering will be gone in short order i predict. my deere dealer dosnt even stock any 21 mowers from jd-he sells hondas ! i bet the toro proline isnt selling like it used to since the suzuki 2 stroke was pulled from the line up.
you make some good points, but at least around here by observing what is on landscape trailers the Toro commercial mower is still far and away the most popular. Some of the Toro's have Honda engines on them, but most have the Kawi's on them. I have no idea what they are actually selling for new, but they are still selling tons of them around here. Maybe this area is a bit abnormal, but 21's are still pretty popular.

I would agree JD has an uphill battle to market these mowers, but I hope it does well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree that the price is in line with the other commercials on the market. But, especially in the case of the Toro/Exmarks, those are proven designs. The JD's will have to prove themselves to be worth that kind of dough in my opinion. I'm sure the Kawi engines will do fine, but what about the tranny, the handle, and the deck?

Might be hard for them to break into the market. I'd say that in my area, Toro has about 95% of the 21" commercial walk-behind market. Having the John Deere name certainly won't hurt.

·
Registered
833 Posts
they have to be heavy to surive employee abuse. i like the option to choose between bbc and not. no one in their right mind would want bbc for comm duty-just something else to break. i am suprized they came out with a comm model at all. look at the way they have gutted their home use line- gone are the decent models and all thats left is entry level models-guess they want to compete with the big box stores. i bet the new comm wont sell and will be gone in a few years. 1300$ is too high for most to pay-thats why the jx85 didnt sell. they should have priced it 700-800$
The quote from lawnboy dan - curious what does "bbc" mean ?

Here in Canada, that 1200 dollar or $1300 mower, would probably cost close to 2 grand CDN, after the 13% tax is factor in. I am glad to see these 21" mowers have an aluminum deck and Kawi. engine, but I can buy a "commercial" Ariens push mower with Kawi. engine for around $850 + tax, so just under a grand. I would not pay twice that for the new Deere offering.

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

·
Registered
300 Posts
BBC = Blade Brake Clutch

·
Registered
833 Posts
BBC = Blade Brake Clutch
Thanks mowersnob, for the term...

------------------------------------
Beaumont { : > ))
--------------------------------------------------------------------
www.petperfectexpress.com
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr.Onan P218, 1998 JD GT262 w/new Kawasaki OHV, 19xx Ford LGT,
JD #49 blower, 1986 Toro 824 snowblower, Honda HS624 track drive blower, STIHL 2 stroke F5 85 & F5 35 grass trimmer,
TORO 20526C push mower 21" Recycler w/Suzuki 4 stroke, HONDA CT70 MiniBike & COKE COOLER Chest
1965 Malibu S/S, 1985 Monte Carlo S/S original paint, 1987 Pontiac GTA original paint L98-TPI
1966 Beaumont Custom original paint,
1967 Beaumont Custom, 1967 Beaumont Custom original paint, 1967 Beaumont 396-350HP Sport Deluxe M21-411's
- SOLD 1970 GTO Judge RAIII, original paint, triple black, # match, 4 speed

·
Registered
506 Posts
yes i still see mostly toro prolines on trailers-but not so many with the honda or kawi . usually they have the suzuki.
Almost all of the Prolines I see around here on trailers or in use have the Honda or Kawi. I mostly see the Suzuki's for sale on Craigslist. I wonder why that's the case?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts