My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just would like to know if anyone has one of thise Deere Z600 series machines? I'm thinking of the 655 cause its the High vol deck and can take a bagger system. Does it have good traction? How is it on slopes? Thanks , Ron.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've owned a JD 655 Z-trak for almost a year. I like it for the 54" high capacity mower. It will mow almost any tall grass the first time over it and has plenty of power to do the job. It will mow faster and leave a better looking smoother cut than my JD 345 lawn tractor with a 54" mower. I have had it on slopes and it does fine, but I'm careful and slow down. Like most Z-turns, it's noisier than a lawn tractor since the engine is right behind the operator's seat.

The only problem I've had with it is the choke cable. It wasn't correctly adjusted when it was delivered and the dealer picked it up and re-adjusted it at no charge. By the end of mowing season it was out of adjustment again and was hard to start after the engine was cold. The dealer sent a tech to my place and adjusted it again this spring at no charge. I watched him adjust it this time and know how to do it and if it slips out of adjustment again, I'll adjust it myself.

I bought a JD because of the local dealer's service and I wasn't disappointed. Most other brands available locally (except a Kubota diesel which I would love to have, but is out of my budget) I would have to haul it 50 miles or more for warranty service.

Overall, would I buy another one? You bet!!

Bill

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please pass on how to adjust if possible. Mine 2 is hard to start. Has been that way since new also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a Z665....well traded in a 4 wheeler which the john deere dealer also sold 4 wheelers also.
Nobody wanted to give me anything for the 4 wheeler so the dealer gave me 5500 dollars for it so in the end the 665 cost me 600 dollars.
I have a Kubota bx2350...but wanted something air cooled as a back up....my 15 year old 42 inch mtd is just to small since the kids are gone.
I have used it once....just got it and it uses less gas than my diesel Kubota does cause you can go so much faster and less turning.
The one thing I don't like is the tranny is maintenance free which I really do not like.
I can find no breakdown of the tranny as there looks like there is 2 bolts under tranny that may look like drain holes or may hold something in place and hate to take off and find out it wrecks the tranny.
They have a reservoirs tanks on top of each tranny though.
I was gona take the cap off and see how far u can stick a wooden dowel rod down there and hopefully to the bottom of tranny or close to it.
I have a Topsider oil change vacuum of changer that would do the job on the tranny unit.
I have several of these as I use them for lots of things....my favorite is changing engine coolant as I hate the mess the drain plug makes on the floor and all over the bottom of the frame.
Anybody else tried any other way to drain the new tranny unit .....like u be the first to drop those 2 bolts that look like maybe a drain plugs?
I will ask the dealer....but they would not probably not no either.
Everything new nowday is remove and replace.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I traded my old NewHolland ZM17 on the Z655. I have loged 8 hrs on it this week and love it. It cuts good, lots of power , and is fast! Traction is night and day compared to the NewHolland. My Z655 is a left over 2012 so it has the hyd motors at the wheels and a filter to replace, making it completly servicable . I'll have to check the choke adjustment on mine too as it is a bear to start cold. It almost starts first turn then just cranks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I really like my 665....First time I ever drove one.....went out in the back yard and was all over the place like a little old lady........roflmao

Second time I did much better........lol

Only used it twice now and have 4.2 hours on it.

Rides better than my Kubota bx2350......mows a lot better too.

Congrats on your new 655.

Art

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi , I got a Deere z445 with a 54 inch deck , love it cuts my mowing time down to about two to three hours instead of5 + hours on 2.5 acres with a 38 inch deck mower

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
First welcome to MTF SpoonRobert! Lots of info here and great member to help and share with, enjoy the site! I've put a link below to the Material Collection System for JD Online parts, you should be able to get what you need from there. Here is some site navigation assistance in case you need it:

John Deere Parts Catalog (Material Collection System)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts