My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power steering goes out after 15 minutes but if I shut it off and start it up again it's back working for another 15 minutes any ideas

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Check the fluid level in the tranny. It sounds like it is getting hot and then foaming which will cause anything hydraulic to fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the fluid level in the tranny. It sounds like it is getting hot and then foaming which will cause anything hydraulic to fail.
Fluid level is good and the only thing that confuses me is if I turn off the mower and start it right back up again it’s fine for another 15 minutes

·
Registered
425 Posts
As others have said, replace the fluid and filter. It is possible, and maybe even likely, that it won't fix the problem. But, the good news is that if it does, it is a cheap and quick fix.

I got this advice when I discovered the hydraulic oil on my chipper foaming after about 30min is so of use. Changing the oil and filters didn't fix the problem, but it was a lot easier and cheaper that what I had to do to really fix it a year later (change the hydraulic pump and hoses and coupler and fluid).

Hydraulic systems can seem really complicated, but once you understand the parts, they are pretty simple.

The X590 has a hydraulic output port from the transmission to the valve for steering and then to the steering cylinder and then back to the valve and back to the transmission. Any of those parts can be the cause of the problem. I would start with the cheapest parts. If you just changed the hydraulic fluid and filter recently, it is probably worth considering other possibilities.

Please post back with your results, so you can help the next person who searches for the same issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As others have said, replace the fluid and filter. It is possible, and maybe even likely, that it won't fix the problem. But, the good news is that if it does, it is a cheap and quick fix.

I got this advice when I discovered the hydraulic oil on my chipper foaming after about 30min is so of use. Changing the oil and filters didn't fix the problem, but it was a lot easier and cheaper that what I had to do to really fix it a year later (change the hydraulic pump and hoses and coupler and fluid).

Hydraulic systems can seem really complicated, but once you understand the parts, they are pretty simple.

The X590 has a hydraulic output port from the transmission to the valve for steering and then to the steering cylinder and then back to the valve and back to the transmission. Any of those parts can be the cause of the problem. I would start with the cheapest parts. If you just changed the hydraulic fluid and filter recently, it is probably worth considering other possibilities.

Please post back with your results, so you can help the next person who searches for the same issue.
Well I’ll have to go on Tuesday and get some tranny fluid and or a filter and give that a try I’ll let you know what happens

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
On my Gravely, I knew it was time to change the hydraulic filter, when the steering started getting choppy, and pressure couldn't keep up with me turning the steering.... Change the filter, and things start working properly again. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts