My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get it out to clean it? I have the plastic nut, rubber o ring, and plunger off. I can't get the other piece loose. I tried with vice grips and a rag but no luck. I think I boogered the shaft as well. Can I emory that off and it be ok? Help please. I do not want to pay $108 for a replacement.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why are you messing with it, cleaning it. What was wrong that made you do this operation? If the solenoid didn't move when you applied 12 volts then there are two possible problems. First is electrical and the coil is defective because the coil openned or shorted and in either case taking it apart and cleaning will no resolve the problem. You will need to use an ohm meter or test light to check continuity of the coil. You could rewind the coil but doubtful. Second is a mechanical problem where the plunger doesn't move from rust or corrosion, in which case cleaning might resolve the problem. Some solenoids have a c clip to hold the plunger in the coil. If you pull the plunger out and damage it with pliers you can still use it with a little sanding or filing. Lets us know the reason and what solved it. You can also find solenoids on junk equipment that might work saving the cost of new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. My pto won't engage the deck. It was intermittent at first and I changed out the switch in the dash. It worked perfect for about a week and now it won't do anything. I was told to pull it out and clean it. Can you break down how to test like I am a dummy? I have good common sense and a little mechanical sense but electrical stuff is not my cup of tea. Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Do you know how to use a VOM meter or 12 volt test light? If so first verify the pto switch is working by checking the 12 volts into the switch and when set to the on position that 12 volts is coming out. Test light will light, meter will show 12 volts. If that is working then verify 12 volts at the pto. if the coil is open you still see 12 volts there, if open wire between switch and coil there is no 12 volts. The pto is grounded somewhere either via a wire or grounded with a bolt. With the pto in your hand set the VOM meter to ohms. short the leads and zero out your meter, then put one lead on the hot side and one on ground of the coil. You should get a reading other than zero. If not on the right scale move up to the next setting on the meter. If you were at 1k ohms set to 10k ohms. You should get a reading of something for example 34 on the 10k setting is 3,400 ohms. Don't use this number as gospel it's an example only. If you can't get a reading at all and only shows either 0 or nothing, they are two different readings. Then the coil is defective. 0 ohms is a short, infinity or nothing read is an open like when the leads are just hanging in the air. You shold be able to tell if the voltage and coil are good. Now if that all checks out there is an adjustment for the pto gap. Lets see where your at first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts