My Tractor Forum banner
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Is the relay clicking?
There appears to be some differences of opinion about what the numbers should. What really matters is that connections are correct. Two wires are the coil by and two are the normally open contacts. A standard relay doesn't care about polarity, so just make sure ground and purple (from switch go to coil) and 12V and wire to solenoid go to the NO contacts. The reason for the different numbers is that there are SPDT switches that have both a NO and a normally closed contact. There are others that have double poles.

It sounds like you have a more basic problem farther back in the circuit, or the relay is defective, or mislabeled.

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
380 Posts
If you have an 87a terminal, there should be five terminals on it, and you should still have terminal 30. You got a single pole double throw relay. 87a is normally closed, so when the relay is NOT energized, 87a will be connected to 30. When the relay IS energized, 87 will be connected to 30. You can use that relay (as long as terminal 87a doesn't short against something), but it is not necessary for your use.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Relay is wired correctly. Don't worry about 87a. Some relays have 5 terminals, with the 5th in the center being 87a.
So, everything is connected correctly but it doesn't work!
Remove 86 (old purple wire). Set meter to DC volts, put 1 meter lead in end of purple wire and have someone turn key to "Start". While in "Start" Touch 2nd meter lead to bolt/screw that wire on 85 attaches to. Read volts. If no volts, touch 3nd meter lead to Neg battery post. Read volts. If no volts, problem in wiring between end of wire with meter lead in it and battery!

Also/next, set meter to Ohms and check from bolt/screw the 85 connects to Neg battery terminal...should be ) or VERY little ohms.

Report back:
Volts to bolt/screw
Volts to Neg battery terminal
Ohms bolt/screw to battery terminal
Bob

·
Registered
2008 John Deere LA135
380 Posts
Never mind. After seeing the picture you just posted, you have a normal relay. The bottom cases for these relays are all the same, so they all say 87a on them, but you do not have 87a. If you did, there would be another terminal coming out of the center of the relay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I hear a click when I turn the key to the light position. That's the only click I hear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Multimeter broke, only screen light up. I tried to change the battery but it smells like something got fried in it. I think it might be time to pay somebody to repair my mower.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
You have invested this much time in it, you might as well see this through. You NEED a meter to do electrical work. Trying to do it without one is, as Yoda would say, "not do".

You do not need an expensive meter. Just about any meter can measure 12V DC accurately enough. You should be able to find one locally or on the internet.

This one is good enough, but the batteries are a pain.

This is a much nicer one that uses more normal batteries.

There are even more expensive ones, but they probably won't help you at all. The auto ranging ones are easier to use, but not absolutely necessary.

If give up now, all the time you spent will have been wasted. The meter will help you figure out what is really bad instead of just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
You have invested this much time in it, you might as well see this through. You NEED a meter to do electrical work. Trying to do it without one is, as Yoda would say, "not do".

You do not need an expensive meter. Just about any meter can measure 12V DC accurately enough. You should be able to find one locally or on the internet.

This one is good enough, but the batteries are a pain.

This is a much nicer one that uses more normal batteries.

There are even more expensive ones, but they probably won't help you at all. The auto ranging ones are easier to use, but not absolutely necessary.

If give up now, all the time you spent will have been wasted. The meter will help you figure out what is really bad instead of just throwing parts at it.
I will buy a quality one. I bought one back at the beginning of this from Amazon. That's the one that stopped working. I trust Klein products. I think I get one of those.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Coastal, SMART move! Pay $50+ for a new meter and X hours of your free labor, or save $50+ and spend probably MINIMUM of 2 hours labor at $50-$80 an hour for someone else to fix! Bob

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
just a quick note... the relay should be wired to 87 and 30 contacts.... 87A is an alternate contact on a slightly different relay....
the pins are as follows:
30 is the switched common.
87 is the NO (normally open) contact
87A is the NC (normally closed) contact

Some relays don't have a NC connection (87A - but the case still has it labelled for manufacturing commonality... however the connection tab is not there.... if the relay had it, it would have an additional connection tab in the center.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I believe this unit may have gone in for repairs. I'm a little bummed as this was like reading a real good book that someone ripped the last chapter out of. 🤷‍♂️

121 - 140 of 150 Posts