My Tractor Forum banner
81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Oh, wow, so I read this "where large red cable from battery connects to starter, take that nut off & connect 1 end of fuse holder wire on" and somehow got solenoid in my head instead of starter.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
A tip.of the hat to every single one of you that has contributed to this post. From all the helpful comments and instructions to the original poster looking for help. I have read every single post since the start and I am now completely encapsulated in the story and outcome. Looking forward to seeing the results and hearing that coastal77 can finally use his tractor. What a great forum to be part of, many other forums would have most definitely taken a different turn.

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts
....Sooooo...I see progress...how are you making out...if you got it together and it isn't starting let us know so we can see what we can do for you

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Coastal, Not sure what you meant by your post #85, but looking at pics, fuse is connected to correct terminal... assuming large cable with red cap pulled back is battery cable.
To stay with directions posted in #41, the other end of the fuse wire should go to 30 on the relay. It looks like the second wire you added goes to ground through the screw mounting the relay. The end of this should be attached to 85 on the relay. As a double check, verify continuity between 85 on the relay and neg battery post.
This leaves 2 terminals on the relay, 86 & 87. I see a purple that appears to go under the bottom stud on the solenoid. If this connects to a small stud on the solenoid, it needs to be removed and attached to 86 on the relay. Next make up a wire going from the small stud on the solenoid (where you just took the purple wire from) and attach to 87 on relay.

And that should do it! Bob

·
Administrator
21,672 Posts
Oh, wow, so I read this "where large red cable from battery connects to starter, take that nut off & connect 1 end of fuse holder wire on" and somehow got solenoid in my head instead of starter.
You had it correct in your head! If you connect the fused wire to the starter, you will lose a vital part of the assy, the smoke!! You do want the fused wire to go to the large red terminal on the solenoid (the one that is always hot).

Looks like you have the relay mounted, am I correct? Looks good from what I see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
You had it correct in your head! If you connect the fused wire to the starter, you will lose a vital part of the assy, the smoke!! You do want the fused wire to go to the large red terminal on the solenoid (the one that is always hot).

Looks like you have the relay mounted, am I correct? Looks good from what I see.
Thanks. That's a relief. Do I just pull at the purple wire to disconnect it (in other words, is it a spade connector for sure)? If not, I'm assuming i need to unmount the solenoid to get to it.

·
Administrator
21,672 Posts
Yes, I am going to "assume" that it is a female spade bit. Now, if you cannot feel back in far enough to tell what it is exactly, will you be able to replace the wire that reconnects there? If not, here is a work around.

Snip that purple wire in a readily accessible location, splice in a couple pieces so the original purple wire will go to the relay and a wire coming off the relay will just connect to the portion left on the solenoid. (Was that worded so it's understood? Easy to do, hard to explain!)

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts
Yes it is a spade...you may have to lay down and get a small screwdriver in there to pry it off the terminal...once you break it free,,,it will slide right off

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Sorry, we had out of town guests so I've been busy. I hate that I can't get to the mower. I promise I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I have some time right now, and I just went out to try and remove the purple wire. I found out its not a spade connector (I have to remove a nut to get to it, so I'm assuming its a ring connector). Is that still the right wire I need?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Coastal, Yes. Looking at your pic in post #70, I can see 3 connection to your solenoid. The bottom larger stud connects to your starter motor, The top larger stud connects to the battery, your tractor wiring, and a 3rd wire you added for the starter improvement. A smaller stud with a black wire is a ground for the solenoid. The purple wire, sometimes called the "trigger wire", needs to connect to the solenoid also. Although I can't see it, I'm certain that it connects to a smaller stud directly below the black wire. This is the wire that "triggers" the solenoid activate and close the contacts connecting the battery wire to the starter motor wire. It's kind of tight in that area, so you may want to get a length of the wire your bought and put a ring terminal on the end... the ring terminal should be the same size as the one on the black wire. Disconnect purple wire, TRY not to drop the nut, lock washer, and flat washer, attach the new length of wire with washers & nut. I'm not positive on the washer combination though! Eventually, the wire you added to the solenoid will attach to the relay terminal 87 and the purple wire you removed will connect to the relay terminal 85 or 86. Either 85 or 86 already has a ground wire attached, so attach purple to the other one.

Keep going, keep asking! You're doing fine, Bob

·
Administrator
21,672 Posts
I am not sure if this will be easy to understand or not, but you could actually splice into that purple wire. Snip it and put connection 85 on 1 side, 86 on the other. Just splice in wire as @rwmeyer is describing.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I agree 100% with Brad IF you have enough slack in the wire!
Also, if you do have enough slack and decide to cut the purple wire, MAKE SURE you connect it as Brad shows... purple from solenoid to #87 on relay and purple from tractor wiring going to #85 or #86 on relay depending on where ground wire is connected. Bob

81 - 100 of 150 Posts