My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to write to let everyone know of my experience. As many of us know it sure seems John Deere has slipped, badly, with respect to customer service and, candidly, quality. I’m from Iowa, grew up on farms and was always “Green to the bone”. Here’s what just happened.

In 2015 I purchased an X300 to mow a 1/2 an acre relatively flat lawn in Iowa close to JD HQ. I recently moved to Denver for work. So, I decided I should sell the mower as my lawn is tiny here. Well somehow the transmission is out. I mowed with it right before I moved and drove the mower off the truck here. The warranty is out but thre are only 80.8 hours on the mower. I repeat 80.8 hours! The mower is in MINT condition, never abused and solely used for mowing a well maintained yard. John Deere told me because I mentioned I was selling the mower they wouldn’t cover it. I understand not wanting to “refresh” someone’s mower they are about to sell but a transmission going out at 80.8 hours???? I should have bought an MTD type mower for $1000 and saved myself a couple grand. I didn’t want to believe my neighbors who work at JD when they told me “it is a totally different company now. John Deere is just a logo”.

Save yourself some money. Buy cheap and replace, or (and this bothers me to say) buy a Club Cadet or Kubota. They’ll last longer it seems and treat you far better. Just sad.

Btw, I have been very courteous on the phone as Customer Service Rep.s didn't build my mower or make the decisions. No reason to be impolite to them. But, I've been cutoff twice on hold for the manager. I'll try and post updates as I receive them (if there are any).

·
Parts collector
3,062 Posts
Cub uses the same trans as JD as far as I know. That stinks though for sure. I grew up on JD since I was 7 on the farm and I'm green to the bone also. I'll stick with my 60'-80's JD stuff they last forever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, just so disappointing to see a once great company go this way. It's like they want to emulate General Motors in the 80s.

·
3,171 Posts
To the original poster..did anyone qualified take a look at the trans and tell you that it is "out"?...any possibility that some linkage or something got knocked out of its intended place causing the problem during the move?

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
Or perhaps the transmission wound up in the "freewheel" position somehow. Also, I don't know exactly how the rear wheels are attached to the axle, but maybe a wheel is loose, or a sheared axle key, causing the axle to spin? The result of this would be the tractor not moving.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
In 2015 I purchased an X300 to mow a 1/2 an acre relatively flat lawn in Iowa close to JD HQ. I recently moved to Denver for work. So, I decided I should sell the mower as my lawn is tiny here. Well somehow the transmission is out. I mowed with it right before I moved and drove the mower off the truck here. The warranty is out but thre are only 80.8 hours on the mower. I repeat 80.8 hours! The mower is in MINT condition, never abused and solely used for mowing a well maintained yard. John Deere told me because I mentioned I was selling the mower they wouldn’t cover it. I understand not wanting to “refresh” someone’s mower they are about to sell but a transmission going out at 80.8 hours???? I should have bought an MTD type mower for $1000 and saved myself a couple grand. I didn’t want to believe my neighbors who work at JD when they told me “it is a totally different company now. John Deere is just a logo”.
I guess I am a bit confused. I thought you said you sold the mower.... so how did you drive it off the truck here [in Denver?]

John Deere told me because I mentioned I was selling the mower they wouldn’t cover it.
John Deere doesn't care whether you mention that you are selling it or not.... or whether you like beer or wine... or whether you live in Iowa, or Coloroado.... you wanting to sell it has zero to do with whether Deere will cover it (whatever that means) or not. Either it's under warranty or not. If it's under warranty deere WILL COVER IT. If it's out of warranty, it's a question of what mood they are in - they are not obligated to anything. Regardless of hours.

I am really sorry.... this whole story seems off to me....

If you drove it off the truck, what did you do with it afterwards?... if you put it into a ditch, or drove it off an embankment and trash it - I guess the transmission "will be out".... there are a million reasons why it wouldn't work (I am assuming that's what "out" means)... from a broken belt or a belt that came off a pulley, to disconnected linkage (rattling on the back of the truck for 1000 miles), to loose hardware on a belt tensioner that finally caused the belt to slip off, to free-wheel lever being pulled..... I could go on for several paragraphs......
without stating any circumstances around which this actually happened - with this story all you would need is for your dog to run away and you'd have yourself a country song - as they say.....

·
Registered
595 Posts
The freewheeling comment is an excellent thought. Check the little metal handle that's sticking out of the rear of the tractor. It's a little above the spot where you'd connect a trailer, and offset to the right. If that handle gets pulled out, you're disengaging the transmission so you can push the tractor around by hand. Pushing it back in fully restores the normal operation.

·
Registered
817 Posts
80 hours would likely not kill a non abused K46. Wonder if hydro fluid has somehow leaked down. Or maybe the freewheeling lever was out while loading on his moving truck, and once pushed back, the trans needs to be purged. I think the manual has the steps to do this.

Ran fine in Iowa, shipped to Colorado, and somehow the trans quit.....on the moving truck...? Hmmmmm.......
Hope it is just the freewheel lever.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I hope that you find a simple fix. I've got about 460 hours on my LA165 (same K46 transaxle) and it still runs strong (knocking on wood right now, LOL). Good luck!

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I hope it is the free-wheeling lever but if it is out of warranty I can tell you for certain they will not help you no matter your story. I bought an X390 that was one year old and when I asked my dealer about getting the knock-your-teeth-out reverse pedal fixed they said that because I bought it from another person and I did not have his name they would not honor the warranty. What has that got to do with the warranty? They built it and I own it. I even talked to headquarters JD and they were very polite but said no to any warranty work. Great company huh? It's a $75 part and this is how they treat their customers. My learned lesson is to NEVER buy any JD with any remaining warranty because I will have to fight for any help from them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Have you checked the drive belt or it’s idler pulley. It could be something very simple and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
blinged out
1,167 Posts
when I purchased my x500 2yrs. old with 20 hrs. i went in to the local dealer and registered it in my name, for warranty but all I ever needed was a seat and it was no problem getting one from them!

·
motorcycle cowboy
838 Posts
I hope it is the free-wheeling lever but if it is out of warranty I can tell you for certain they will not help you no matter your story. I bought an X390 that was one year old and when I asked my dealer about getting the knock-your-teeth-out reverse pedal fixed they said that because I bought it from another person and I did not have his name they would not honor the warranty. What has that got to do with the warranty? They built it and I own it. I even talked to headquarters JD and they were very polite but said no to any warranty work. Great company huh? It's a $75 part and this is how they treat their customers. My learned lesson is to NEVER buy any JD with any remaining warranty because I will have to fight for any help from them.
It was explained to you in a previous post that you didn't follow JD's warranty transfer procedure. In your case, they really owe you nothing because you didn't purchase the machine from them. Quit complaining. The fault lies with you. I myself had no problems getting warranty coverage on a previously owned machine.

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
Did you check the splines on the drive pulley, common on the X300 ????

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wanted to write to let everyone know of my experience. As many of us know it sure seems John Deere has slipped, badly, with respect to customer service and, candidly, quality. I’m from Iowa, grew up on farms and was always “Green to the bone”. Here’s what just happened.

How was the tractor transported and who did the transporting. Improper transport could damage a transmission?

·
Registered
304 Posts
How is that blower powered? Is it runnoff the mower pto under the drive pulley?
Yes, the blower has a frame that runs back to about mid-tractor where it hinges to the tractor frame. There is a belt that runs from the PTO back to the hinge point and then there is a second belt that runs all the way forward to the blower housing were it turns 90* vertical to run the impeller. I have since replaced the manual lift handle with an electric lift - best money I ever spent!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts